XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Does the boot loader must be modified differently if I intend to use a Solid State Module? I have a OptiPlex FX160 and I would like to experiment on it.

as long as its not NVMe it should do, its still the same controller as for any other disk

the dsm diskmanager entry for disks is "HDD/SSD" that indicates it shoud recognize a ssd ootb

(ssd cache is a different entry and usage type, one ssd read cache, 2 ssd's in mirror read/write cache - only makes sense with multi-user access zu the nas)

So, I just updated to DSM 6.

Did a migration. Rebooted.

Because i have more than 12 drives (16) i have modified the synoinfo file to 16 drvies.

I had to modify the files again after the update, and all the drives is showing and the array is up.

But now i try to get the dick number correct, Now it just looks shit.

It shows from number 5 to 20. Not 1 to 16.

And it shows 3 free slots in the overview.

I fiddle around with

usbportcfg

esataportcfg

internalportcfg

But never seem to get it just perfect, would apreciate some help to solve this. Looks mutch nicer when the numbering is correct :smile:

Right know im using the following values.

usbportcfg 30000000

esataportcfg FF00000

internalportcfg FFFFF

Just for testing, well the array works but as i said, the numbering is screwed up.

5-20? might be 4 x onboard sata?

in grub.cfg you might try to change sataportmap from 1 to 88 (onboard sata disabled) if there are only 8 + 8 sata ports

or 488 if there are 4 onboard ports

and maxdisks=20?

usbportcfg, esataportcfg, internalportcfg looks ok for 20 ports

you already asked a few days ago but gave no information about your systemboard

how many addition satat you have and how it is configured?

Sorry for not replying to the eralier post, my bad!

I did 16 disk at first but changed the internalport to 20 just to see what happens,

I don't think i have to change in the grub conf, only in synoinfo

It looks like this know:

Disknumber.jpg

Im only using the two IBM M1015 controllers with IT firmware, so 8 drives per controller.

Not using any of the sata onboard the mainboard.

Mainboard is an Intel DX58SO. With 6 SATA connectors onboard.

Here are the binaries:

usbportcfg 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

esataportcfg 0000 1111 1111 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

internalportcfg 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111

maxdisk has a value of 16, does that not overrride the above values and should only display 16 slots?

i dont know if anything overrides the other, to play safe they should correspond

so if you define 20 internal ports the max number should be 20 (at least its what i would try)

beside i would try to take all "visible" sata ports into account, so if the 6 onboard ports are active (not disabled in bios) i would count them, so its 6 + 8 + 8 = 22

usbportcfg 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

esataportcfg 0000 1111 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

internalportcfg 0000 0000 0011 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111

maxdisks=22

usbportcfg=‭30000000‬

esataportcfg=FC00000

internalportcfg=3FFFFF

you also might define sataportmap in grub.cfg, from 1 to 688

after checking the manual of the board, there are 2 more sata ports as eSATA (Marvell 88SE621), disable them

The eSATA ports har been disabled allready in BIOS.

Im also thinking about disable the onboard SATA ports because i don't need them at all.

The IBM controllers has 2 SAS connectors, 4 drives per connector so 8 drives total on one controller.

And i have 2 controllers.

Will try going back to 16 drives and see what that gives me.

Hope i don't drop any drives :smile:

BTW: What is the latest update on 6.0.2 i can use without fiddeling with the loader?

Other things i notice but never troubleshooted was it only shows 2 cores on the CPU when i have a Quad core.

And says 8GB memory when i have 12GB.

Is there anything to do about that?

thats also a solution (an a waste of 6 good ports)

BTW: What is the latest update on 6.0.2 i can use without fiddeling with the loader?

the bootloader has kernel modules (drivers) as long as it has the same kernel version it will work

as 6.1 use a new kernel version you can only have 6.0.2 Update xx (11 at the moment) with you loader (1.01)

Other things i notice but never troubleshooted was it only shows 2 cores on the CPU when i have a Quad core.

dsm shows what inside a real 3615/3617, just a fake "picture", has nothing to to with the hardware linux in the background is using, when you check the logs you will see that processor and ram are recognised and used

dsm shows what inside a real 3615/3617, just a fake "picture", has nothing to to with the hardware linux in the background is using, when you check the logs you will see that processor and ram are recognised and used

Regarding the CPU, that is correct. The CPU model is hardcoded in DSM but the kernel should be using the full capacity of the actual CPU you have install. You can run the following command to check your CPU specs and speed:

sudo dmidecode -t 4

If you install Debian Chroot, log in Debian and then configure it, you can also run the following command:

watch -n1 "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep \"^[c]pu MHz\"" 

This will show you the speed in real time of all cores. Launch some CPU intensive application in DSM and you will see the speed go up and down.

Regarding the RAM, it should actually show the actual installed RAM capacity. What's your processor? And are you sure the RAM sticks are all working properly and compatible? As you can see in my signature I have 16GB of RAM installed and all is seen and reported correctly by DSM:

Fmxrj1G.jpg

Hi, I am a newbie and have encountered problem when installed DSM 6.0 to my new NAS.

I followed the subject tutorial accordingly. However, I only created S/N for model DS3612xs but not DS3615xs. Therefore, I edited the grub.cfg file with :-

set common_args_3615='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet'

I booted my NAS and successfully saw the Grub menu while my workstation was able to see my NAS on the local network. Everything seemed fine.

Then I followed the instructions and chose "Install" with the downloaded .PAT file (DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat).

The installation started but halted at about 56% and was unable to continue. No response further.

I rebooted my NAS and did the installation process again. The result is the same …

Would anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am a newbie and have encountered problem when installed DSM 6.0 to my new NAS.

I followed the subject tutorial accordingly. However, I only created S/N for model DS3612xs but not DS3615xs. Therefore, I edited the grub.cfg file with :-

set common_args_3615='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet'

I booted my NAS and successfully saw the Grub menu while my workstation was able to see my NAS on the local network. Everything seemed fine.

Then I followed the instructions and chose "Install" with the downloaded .PAT file (DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat).

The installation started but halted at about 56% and was unable to continue. No response further.

I rebooted my NAS and did the installation process again. The result is the same …

Would anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum,

No where in the tutorial is there a mention of changing DS3615xs by DS3612xs in the grub file, so leave it as it was originally. Also Leave the serial as is or generate one here: https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html

In the future please provide more details if you need some help. Hardward information could be a start.

Many thanks Polanskiman.

Just created SN for DS3615xs. How can I generate the corresponding mac1 ?

I will try to install DSM 6.0 again.

My hardware config :

MB: ASROCK B250M-HDV

CPU: Intel i3-6100

RAM: Kingston 16 GB

HDD: Toshiba 6TB x 1

BOOT USB: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB

Many thanks Polanskiman.

Just created SN for DS3615xs. How can I generate the corresponding mac1 ?

I will try to install DSM 6.0 again.

My hardware config :

MB: ASROCK B250M-HDV

CPU: Intel i3-6100

RAM: Kingston 16 GB

HDD: Toshiba 6TB x 1

BOOT USB: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB

No need to generate any corresponding MAC address. Use your NIC real MAC address.

thats also a solution (an a waste of 6 good ports)

the bootloader has kernel modules (drivers) as long as it has the same kernel version it will work

as 6.1 use a new kernel version you can only have 6.0.2 Update xx (11 at the moment) with you loader (1.01)

As i said, I don't have any use for the onboard sata ports so thats why i think about disable them. No point in having active ports when not going to use them or have any room to use them.

yes that was the question version 6.0.2 that is :smile:

Just have to hope this helps with the disk numbering problem.

Regarding the CPU, that is correct. The CPU model is hardcoded in DSM but the kernel should be using the full capacity of the actual CPU you have install. You can run the following command to check your CPU specs and speed:

sudo dmidecode -t 4

If you install Debian Chroot, log in Debian and then configure it, you can also run the following command:

watch -n1 "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep \"^[c]pu MHz\"" 

This will show you the speed in real time of all cores. Launch some CPU intensive application in DSM and you will see the speed go up and down.

Regarding the RAM, it should actually show the actual installed RAM capacity. What's your processor? And are you sure the RAM sticks are all working properly and compatible? As you can see in my signature I have 16GB of RAM installed and all is seen and reported correctly by DSM:

Fmxrj1G.jpg

Ah i see, Would be nice to have it show correct CPU :smile:

I mixed it up with another machine, 8GB is correct.

The CPU is an Intel Xeon E5504, When checking dmidecode it says:

Version: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz

Voltage: 1.2 V

External Clock: 135 MHz

Max Speed: 4000 MHz

Current Speed: 2028 MHz

Upgrade: Socket LGA1366

Not possible to show the actual CPU. It's hardcoded. The only way would be to make the modification do the source code and then compile the kernel from scratch.

Not possible to show the actual CPU. It's hardcoded. The only way would be to make the modification do the source code and then compile the kernel from scratch.

I notice that to :smile:

Thanks for the info!

Planning to change the disk config later today and using the following values for 16 drives.

usbportcfg 0000 0000 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

esataportcfg 0000 0000 0011 1111 0000 0000 0000 0000

internalportcfg 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111

maxdisks=16

usbportcfg=C00000

esataportcfg=3F0000

internalportcfg=FFFF

I guess this will only work if i first disable the onboard sata or else i will drop drives on the controllers i use

or what do you guys think?

fazibazi said:
Thanks for this all stuff here. Great job!

I've got 6.0 update 8 with no issue on my ASUS M2A-VM and AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2GHz TDP 35W works 80% as a HTPC ( more here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/4794-what-hardware-are-you-using/?do=findComment&comment=68243)

You should be able to update to update 11.

Ok, thanks but as you wrote:

It is possible you might either need to hard reboot or re-image your usb drive

I understand hard reboot (turn off and unplug my baremetal) but what about reimage usb? It will be deleted after hard update and i will need to make bootable usb again?

Ok, So i changed the synoinfo values to work with 16 drives, But if i do that i only get 12 drives.

And the 4 first slots is empty.

Any ide how i solve this?

I was using theese values.

usbportcfg 0000 0000 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

esataportcfg 0000 0000 0011 1111 0000 0000 0000 0000

internalportcfg 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111

maxdisks=16

usbportcfg=C00000

esataportcfg=3F0000

internalportcfg=FFFF

Edit:

I changed to this configuration:

usbportcfg 0000 0000 0011 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 = 300000

esataportcfg 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

internalportcfg 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 0000 = FFFF0

And i got all 16 drives back, But slot 1-4 is still empty so drive numbering starts at 5 and end at 20.

Question is, what is it that tells DSM what number a drives has. What port is taking up those 4 slots.

Followed the tutorial perfectly. And both firmware and DSM are both updated to 6.0.2-8451 (I can check this if I reboot in Force Install mode again).

The weird thing is, is when I wait long enough 5 - 10 minutes. I can connect suddenly to Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr...

However I cannot seem to connect to DSM 6 at all! No matter what I try...

I have 3 LAN ports, 1 of them is an onboard Realtek port and the other 2 ports are from an Intel PCIe card.

...don't know if this matters.

My Xpenology is Intel based btw.

Also I can ping my Xpenology, but cannot connect to it through SSH or whatever.

The screen only shows "Booting the kernel" but that seems to be normal, as far as I understand.

Any idea or solution...?

If not, can I revert back to 5.2 with my backup USB stick? TY

//edit

I also tried find.synology.com and synology assistant, but neither of them can find my NAS.

The NAS can be found when it's in Forced Install mode.

//edit2

Well I wished I never ever touched this update... I cannot even go back, cannot login through SSH and/or local... Seems I completely screwed. Nice.

Hopefully someone has a solution to get DSM working again 6.0 or 5.2.... Thanks in advance.

And i got all 16 drives back, But slot 1-4 is still empty so drive numbering starts at 5 and end at 20.

Question is, what is it that tells DSM what number a drives has. What port is taking up those 4 slots.

what ever it is it shoud be found in /var/log/messages, dsm has to start a driver and recognise ports for storage

Followed the tutorial perfectly. And both firmware and DSM are both updated to 6.0.2-8451 (I can check this if I reboot in Force Install mode again).

I have 3 LAN ports, 1 of them is an onboard Realtek port and the other 2 ports are from an Intel PCIe card.

...don't know if this matters.

try to put in all 3 real mac addresses in grub.cfg

set mac1=

set mac2=

set mac3=

set netif_num=3

Also I can ping my Xpenology, but cannot connect to it through SSH or whatever.

The screen only shows "Booting the kernel" but that seems to be normal, as far as I understand.

both normal, ssh has to be activated in webgui after install, default is off

Well I wished I never ever touched this update... I cannot even go back, cannot login through SSH and/or local... Seems I completely screwed. Nice.

Hopefully someone has a solution to get DSM working again 6.0 or 5.2.... Thanks in advance.

there are guides for downgades her in the forum too (never done one myself)

edit: you might also try to disable the onboard nic an try

set mac1=

set mac2=

set netif_num=2

with just the 2 port intel nic

Thanks for replying IG-88.

I am already using my real MAC addresses for all ports.

However the only thing I didn't change, was "netif_num=1", I still had it on "1".

This wasn't mentioned in the tutorial though, so dunno if it's important. Will change it now to "3" and retry.

Okay so no changes in SSH then whatsoever... Since I cannot enter the DSM GUI.

Yeah, tried a few downgrades, didn't work... Sigh. So I am really hoping I can get 6.0 to work instead.

The weird thing is, I just did another Force Install and loaded the .pat file. Then on the normal boot (1st option in bootloader).

It takes about 8 - 10 minutes and then I can access Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr. The only thing I cannot access is DSM GUI itself... Really strange.

Also Sabnzbd is downloading. So that also works... :sad:

I also tried using a different serial (here: https://xpenology.github.io/serial_gene ... r_new.html), but also no luck.

I will now edit the "netif_num" to 3. Maybe that will help.... :sad:

So the forum is fixed again? Apparently also running on Jun's loader? :wink:

Well changing "1" to "3" for "set netif_num" didn't work.

I also checked the motherboard, which is an AsRock Z87E-ITX. According to the website of AsRock the onboard LAN is an Intel NIC (Giga PHY Intel® I217V).

But to be honest; I doubt it's any of the NIC's (correct me when I am wrong though), because after booting up (normally with 1st option in Jun's loader) and wait for about 10 minutes. I can connect to my applications like Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr. They also work normally, as they download stuff...

...what I cannot access is my Synology partitions/shares through Windows (or other) and I cannot access the DSM GUI.

I also tried downgrading, by using "Force Install" and select a 5.2-pat file. However this obviously doesn't work.

Furtermore; I used my original DSM 5.2 USB stick (with XPEnoboot). Though I get a command line on the NAS, it doesn't accept my user/password and I tried everything. I am 100% sure the password is correct, but no luck.

So I am running out of idea... I really wished I never did this update. So any other ideas?

Also, as mentioned above, I also tried changing the serial, but that didn't help.

Edited by Guest