XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I followed the guide but got stock now on this:

5 - Now launch OSFMount. Select Mount New, then select the image file (i.e. synoboot.img) to open. Now select partition 0 (the one that is 30 MB). Click Ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to un-tick the "Read only drive". Click Ok. The EFI partition of the image file should now be mounted in file explorer. You can now navigate to the grub folder and edit the grub.cfg file. Below is what you will see in the file. (I am only putting below the portion of the code that is relevant for the purpose of this tutorial)

Well I did go to the grub.cfg and I see that my VID and PID that I got for the drive is the exact same that is already in the cfg..

set vid=0x058f

set pid=0x6387

thats the values I found for my specific USB stick.. I thought they were all uniqe?

Also what should I put serial number and macadress to?

What serial number??

and how do I i get my mac adress..? I can only access motherboard bios on my server right now.. Can I find mac adress there?

Ty

EDIT:

I saw a youtube tutorial and I understood that the vid and pid is definitily different for each usb-stick. So I understood something was wrong with my USB drive.. I got myself another one , 1GB only but I think it will be enough?

It worked anyway and provided me a real pid and vid.

However I still dont know what mac-adress and serialnumber to put.. so I just left it at default and well everything seems to work at least.. I got synology DSM up and running on it. Just tried it a few mins.

Under CPU it lists another cpu then the one I have though but I guess its because of the hacked software :eek: ?

Edited by Guest

Well i will backup all the data before i do any of this so dataloss is not an issue, The array is an RAID 6 so i cannot remove 4 drives and still have a working array.

But i think i will just try to upgrade and let it drop 4 drives, edit the config files and reboot, Hope for the best that is can find the 4 lost drives after the reboot.

Or just import them manually.

what i would try

you still have ports free in you setup so you could put in an additinal 17th drive, change syno config file to support all ports including the onboard (8+8+6=22?), aktivate onboard contoller in bios, start with additional empty drive, initialize it and create a basic volume, the init will put your acctual installation on the additional drive, shutdown, cut power to all raid6 drives, place the single drive that it will be used first (internal sata?), boot new 1.02a2 loader and install/update to 6.1 on that single disk, after 6.1 running change the config file so that it will support all ports (22?), after checking that all ports are present in diskmanager shutdown, reconnect the raid6 drives, start and if things are running good the single disk will be used to start the system and will be "master" to init the other partitions on the raid 6 drives (and the raid6 array will be found)

if that works and the raid6 drives habe all the mirrored config from the 17th drive it can be deleted and removed, afterward the config can be re-done so that only the 8+8 is used

i have a dsm 5.0 and it has ext4, i also plan to dpdate and with 6.1 it makes sense to use btrfs instead of ext4 so offloading (backup) and new clean istall with new raid6/btrfs seems the better solution

If by upgrading to Juns loader from a 5.2 a driver is missing. How can i request or get a driver installed on Xpenology?

Thanks

Nick

last weekend i was missing the evdev.ko for 6.1 (3615xs) and just compiled it with the kernel sources in a chroot on the same box (chroot plugin availible so easy to set up, same can be done in a virtual enviroment, like virtal box an a desktop/work computer) so getting the *.ko file is not so hard and how a module is to be added to the boot image we also discussed a few posts above (extra.lzma) so its all there for selfservice?

Well i will backup all the data before i do any of this so dataloss is not an issue, The array is an RAID 6 so i cannot remove 4 drives and still have a working array.

But i think i will just try to upgrade and let it drop 4 drives, edit the config files and reboot, Hope for the best that is can find the 4 lost drives after the reboot.

Or just import them manually.

what i would try

you still have ports free in you setup so you could put in an additinal 17th drive, change syno config file to support all ports including the onboard (8+8+6=22?), aktivate onboard contoller in bios, start with additional empty drive, initialize it and create a basic volume, the init will put your acctual installation on the additional drive, shutdown, cut power to all raid6 drives, place the single drive that it will be used first (internal sata?), boot new 1.02a2 loader and install/update to 6.1 on that single disk, after 6.1 running change the config file so that it will support all ports (22?), after checking that all ports are present in diskmanager shutdown, reconnect the raid6 drives, start and if things are running good the single disk will be used to start the system and will be "master" to init the other partitions on the raid 6 drives (and the raid6 array will be found)

if that works and the raid6 drives habe all the mirrored config from the 17th drive it can be deleted and removed, afterward the config can be re-done so that only the 8+8 is used

i have a dsm 5.0 and it has ext4, i also plan to dpdate and with 6.1 it makes sense to use btrfs instead of ext4 so offloading (backup) and new clean istall with new raid6/btrfs seems the better solution

This could be a solution.

Just keep in mind to properly number your drives. Each drive needs to go back to the exact same location, that is the same SATA port on the controllers else the volume will be degraded. If you initially created a Disk Group the order may not be an issue, else it WILL be.

Well I did go to the grub.cfg and I see that my VID and PID that I got for the drive is the exact same that is already in the cfg..

set vid=0x058f

set pid=0x6387

thats the values I found for my specific USB stick.. I thought they were all unique?

EDIT:

I saw a youtube tutorial and I understood that the vid and pid is definitily different for each usb-stick. So I understood something was wrong with my USB drive.. I got myself another one , 1GB only but I think it will be enough?

It worked anyway and provided me a real pid and vid.

vid/pid are not unique from a unit standpoint. They are unique from brand/model standpoint. Meaning all usb keys from the same manufacturer and which are the same model will have the same vid/pid.

Also what should I put serial number and macadress to?

What serial number??

and how do I i get my mac adress..? I can only access motherboard bios on my server right now.. Can I find mac address there?

However I still dont know what mac-adress and serialnumber to put.. so I just left it at default and well everything seems to work at least.. I got synology DSM up and running on it. Just tried it a few mins.

- For the serial number simply leave the one that is already in the grub file or generate a new one from here if your really want to.

(Note: changing the Serial Number is purely for your pleasure and aesthetics as it wont change ANYTHING to how DSM runs).

- For the MAC address use the real MAC address of your NIC. It can usually be seen in the BIOS or on a sticker on the mother board next to the NIC or somewhere on the case of the box. Alternatively you can also boot some ubuntu live CD or whatever OS pleases you and check it out from there.

Under CPU it lists another cpu then the one I have though but I guess its because of the hacked software :eek: ?

That's entirely normal because the CPU model is hard coded, hence you see the CPU model that normally comes with a genuine 3615xs. However your CPU should normally be running as expected at full capacity.

@Polanskiman

Thank you! I did end up putting my real mac-adress however I used my serial number on my motherboard :smile: .. is that gonna be a problem because it wont be in the correct format as the one that was orgininally in the grub cfg or from the serial generator... ?

Everything else seems to work right now except for hibernate.. I just have a totally new WD red disk in my server. I did not download any package or anything yet so there should not be any tasks running.. I did not even create a volume yet as Im not sure what to create.. I wanted to start a SHR array but cant find the option..

Anyway I activated hdd hibernation but it is not working at all... advice..? Ty!

EDIT:

actually I did find logs now and it says that disks did indeed "wake up from hibernation" several times.. So they did enter hibernation..

Weird why the NAS sounds so much more then my old DS411 while sleep then.. it must be my cpu cooler I hear.. I dont use stock cooler for my G4560.. its a Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler but I mean it should not sound more then old DS411 ...

Whats the best way to acess my servers BIOS and check CPU temps and fanspeeds when the server is in closet... :eek: .. ?

EDIT2: is it really normal that I have 8TB drive, create raid group basic (so I can add to RAID-5 later when I get more drives),

create volume btrfs, then get 6.98TB availible.. Seriously i will loose 1TB per disk?

under RAID Group it says disk capacity is 7.27 or so.. And under Storage in the info center it says the disksize is 7452 gb

hi,

7.27 TB is just 7452 GB diveded by 1024 so its the same

synology dsm only grabs ~3 GB per disk for the system (mirrored on every disk in the system)

the main difference you are complaing about is just the difference bitween 1000 and 1024 when counting bytes, the disk pruducer uses 1000 so that a bigger number is restulting when talking about capacity, when "correctly" counted (kilo as 1024 instead of 1000) you will get the numbers you see in the diskmanager

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte#Unit_multiples

I used my serial number on my motherboard :smile: .. is that gonna be a problem because it wont be in the correct format as the one that was orgininally in the grub cfg or from the serial generator... ?

If you want to put a serial I recommend you at least use a proper format serial. Use the generator I posted.

I wanted to start a SHR array but cant find the option.

SHR is not available on 3615xs and all high end models of Synology. You can however activate it:

SSH in your box and just edit with vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out or delete the following line:

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add:

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

then refresh the page. SHR will now be available.

I have the board ALiveNF7G AMD nForce and there is no way that I detect the network card, I have tried what you say to force when you start the xpenboot to force the installation. I have checked the time / date of the bios and it is correct. It stays in "Booting the kernel" but there is no way that the router gives an IP it is as if it were not. With the version DSM 5.2 boot file if it detects it at first. Any ideas ?, I changed the PID the VID the MAC and SN. Network card is a Realtek RTL8211B.

LOADER: Jun's v1.01

DSM 6.0.2

Thanks if anyone helps me.

I used my serial number on my motherboard :smile: .. is that gonna be a problem because it wont be in the correct format as the one that was orgininally in the grub cfg or from the serial generator... ?

If you want to put a serial I recommend you at least use a proper format serial. Use the generator I posted.

I wanted to start a SHR array but cant find the option.

SHR is not available on 3615xs and all high end models of Synology. You can however activate it:

SSH in your box and just edit with vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out or delete the following line:

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add:

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

then refresh the page. SHR will now be available.

Man you are awesome! Is there a way to donate somewhere..? PM if so! I really appreciate all this m8...

So why dont they allow SHR in default on their top-tier raids? Feels like something you should stay clear from then..

I started a raid-group for a single volume raid possibility.. at first I just had one disc and I put it as basic I guess my only choice.. I read that u can upgrade from basic to raid-1 which was my plan when I add another disc, and then migrate to RAID-5 when I get a third disc. And in the end when I have like 5-6 disc in maybe a year I would go to RAID6 . From what I read on their own info pressing the ? button in the synology software, this should work to migrate like this..

However today then I did add one more disc and went to change raid from basic to raid-1 , it told me that all the data will be erased by doing this... That was was I was expecting not to happen... So what did I misunderstand?

Please also another topic.. is there a way to connect my cpufan to the synologysystem..? because right now I can only see my harddrive thermals but not my system thermals.. Which makes it impossible to set a good fan-mode in the BIOS.. because I cant control thermals and fanspeeds at the same time as the synologystsem is working.. So I dont know how hot it gets and what fanspeed to put on which heat-degree...

so My NAS is really loud but I dont dear to lower the fan too much in the BIOS because I wont know how hot my system will actually be while running xpenology OS:.

Ty!

Is there a way to donate somewhere..?

yes honor what synology does in writing/maintinig DSM and think about bying their products

:wink:

I have one of their product since many years :smile:

And trust me, 110% I would buy their software without even considering it if I had the possibility! I wouldnt even blink..

However the far best choice for me in every way was to build own server and use XPEnology. And now getting so much help here from people like Polanskiman, I think for sure he should make something from this.. Same with Jun and all other envolved in keeping this project alive..

JMG1 said:
I have the board ALiveNF7G AMD nForce and there is no way that I detect the network card, I have tried what you say to force when you start the xpenboot to force the installation. I have checked the time / date of the bios and it is correct. It stays in "Booting the kernel" but there is no way that the router gives an IP it is as if it were not. With the version DSM 5.2 boot file if it detects it at first. Any ideas ?, I changed the PID the VID the MAC and SN. Network card is a Realtek RTL8211B.

LOADER: Jun's v1.01

DSM 6.0.2

Thanks if anyone helps me.

IG-88 said:
so in theory (what i found) the kernel module for nforce network is "forcedeth.ko", thats file is not in the jun 1.01 loader, so no network is to expect as "normal"?

wait, there is a search in the forum

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=67298

This is a Realtek RTL8211B and after reading a bit on internet it's a PHY NIC, meaning a driveless NIC. I am not sure of what was mentioned by IG-88 will work but you can give it a try. Replace the extra.lzma ramdisk inside the loader by the one in the link.

Man you are awesome! Is there a way to donate somewhere..? PM if so! I really appreciate all this m8...

Thanks but no need. We do this for the pleasure and to help, not to make money.

So why dont they allow SHR in default on their top-tier raids? Feels like something you should stay clear from then..

I started a raid-group for a single volume raid possibility.. at first I just had one disc and I put it as basic I guess my only choice.. I read that u can upgrade from basic to raid-1 which was my plan when I add another disc, and then migrate to RAID-5 when I get a third disc. And in the end when I have like 5-6 disc in maybe a year I would go to RAID6 . From what I read on their own info pressing the ? button in the synology software, this should work to migrate like this..

Because SHR is meant for lower end models. Purpose of SHR is to be able to mix different sized HDDs and to t disk space. Pro models are aimed at a pro-summer/corporate market and pros simply don't play at mixing HDD sizes, but enabling SHR in those models as I stated above works perfectly fine.

However today then I did add one more disc and went to change raid from basic to raid-1 , it told me that all the data will be erased by doing this... That was was I was expecting not to happen... So what did I misunderstand?

Have a read: https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _raid_type

Thanks but no need. We do this for the pleasure and to help, not to make money.

Because SHR is meant for lower end models. Purpose of SHR is to be able to mix different sized HDDs and to t disk space. Pro models are aimed at a pro-summer/corporate market and pros simply don't play at mixing HDD sizes, but enabling SHR in those models as I stated above works perfectly fine.

Have a read: https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _raid_type

Hi m8.

That is exactly the article I read before I started. As I understand it everything I wanted to do should have been possible.. I just don't know why it told me that all data will be deleted if I would continue.

In the guide it just said follow the instructions in the wizard at that point. Drive was stated as non initialized..

Anyway i started over now so in a few hours I will have a raid-1 volume of two discs. It's running parity check now.. Nor sure if it's needed on totally new disks though..?

Skickat från min ONE E1003 via Tapatalk

Hi m8.

That is exactly the article I read before I started. As I understand it everything I wanted to do should have been possible.. I just don't know why it told me that all data will be deleted if I would continue.

In the guide it just said follow the instructions in the wizard at that point. Drive was stated as non initialized..

Anyway i started over now so in a few hours I will have a raid-1 volume of two discs. It's running parity check now.. Nor sure if it's needed on totally new disks though..?

I'm pretty sure it meant your new inserted disk you where trying to integrate

to "initialise" it will have to create partitions for the dsm mirros (on every disk, ~3GB) and create another for the volume you want to use for date ("expanding" from basic to raid1)

to repartition you will loose all data on that disk, if thats a new one (without partitions) the comment is pointless, maybe just always given without looking to the inserted disk (if there are partitions or not)

Hi m8.

I'm pretty sure it meant your new inserted disk you where trying to integrate

to "initialise" it will have to create partitions for the dsm mirros (on every disk, ~3GB) and create another for the volume you want to use for date ("expanding" from basic to raid1)

to repartition you will loose all data on that disk, if thats a new one (without partitions) the comment is pointless, maybe just always given without looking to the inserted disk (if there are partitions or not)

I am sorry mate I do not understand what you are saying..

You mean it did not say that "all data will be lost" but I misunderstood it..?

i think dsm was referencing to the new disk you inserted, all data on that new disk will be lost

the disk already used as basic volume is not in danger of beenig deleted by dsm when going vom basic to raid1

ahaaaaa....

This makes sence! I did not even think of this option. Thank you friend!!