XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Portmap is only if the bootloader is having issues yes?

I have 6 onboard and 2 SAS ports on HBA (4 each) and so far with testing all seem to be detected properly.

Sequence is onboard 0-5, SAS0 (P1-P4), SAS1 (P1-P4)

I do have a question about logical vs physical disk connections.

I am uncertain if my SAS cable is improperly labelled (I'd need to blank drives and redo the array from scratch to test), or if the Logical disk ID is not the same as the physical connection.

Connecting my drives P1-P4 on HBA I noted the sequence of them in DSM under disk manager is not the same.

Physical: P1 P2 P3 P4

Logical: 3 2 1 4

I don't have SGPIO to id which drive is which so I use the Benchmark activity and check which drive activity light switches on to id it :razz:

If I swap drives to different bays it makes no difference. the sequence is still the same logically. The array still runs though which is nice (only one volume for me right now).

Is this sequence consistent or is it defined at the time the array is built due to some factor relating to the disks?

(i.e. is my cable labelled incorrectly :razz:).

Once the rest of my parts arrive and my hardware reviewing is largely done I'll be putting a lot more disks onboard. Would be nice to know what to expect so I can label them properly :smile:.

Been following this thread and the original post for a few days. I have a Microserver Gen8 which gets stuck in an install loop. Looking back at the instructions the only thing I haven't check is enabling serial port in bios. Could that have an issue? I also have another question. My prospective NAS has 4 bays. The first is filled with a blank HD. I will eventually add 2 drives from my old 212j (After having first migrated the data over). In terms of "SataPortMap" whats should I add for th initial install? The number of bays, the number of current Has or the number I will end up with? I assume 4 right?

Thanks.

Only way I could get my Gen8 to install was to ensure I had set the correct Ethernet MAC matching the actual hardware in the Grub config. If I left the default or tried to use a 'real' MAC I ended up in the repeating loop too.

thinksitdo wrote:

Been following this thread and the original post for a few days. I have a Microserver Gen8 which gets stuck in an install loop. Looking back at the instructions the only thing I haven't check is enabling serial port in bios. Could that have an issue? I also have another question. My prospective NAS has 4 bays. The first is filled with a blank HD. I will eventually add 2 drives from my old 212j (After having first migrated the data over). In terms of "SataPortMap" whats should I add for th initial install? The number of bays, the number of current Has or the number I will end up with? I assume 4 right?

Thanks.

Only way I could get my Gen8 to install was to ensure I had set the correct Ethernet MAC matching the actual hardware in the Grub config. If I left the default or tried to use a 'real' MAC I ended up in the repeating loop too.

My install worked after enabling Serial Port setting in Bios. I do use my actual hardware MAC address and generated SN. Although I may use my old 212j details when I retire it to use QC.

Portmap is only if the bootloader is having issues yes?

I am uncertain if my SAS cable is improperly labelled (I'd need to blank drives and redo the array from scratch to test), or if the Logical disk ID is not the same as the physical connection.

Connecting my drives P1-P4 on HBA I noted the sequence of them in DSM under disk manager is not the same.

Physical: P1 P2 P3 P4

Logical: 3 2 1 4

I don't have SGPIO to id which drive is which so I use the Benchmark activity and check which drive activity light switches on to id it :razz:

If I swap drives to different bays it makes no difference. the sequence is still the same logically. The array still runs though which is nice (only one volume for me right now).

Is this sequence consistent or is it defined at the time the array is built due to some factor relating to the disks?

(i.e. is my cable labelled incorrectly :razz:).

i would not count on the fact that every board producer uses the same layout to wire a multilane connector (4 ports), same goes for the producer of cables (mutlilane sas to 4x sata) so the numbering on the labels attached to the cable might not be right to what is shown, lets say in the bios (sas0, P1, P2, ...) you might fix the lables on the cable if you like so they are corrsponding to the numbering shown in bios

not shure what you mean with "logical" but the portlayout you see in bios should be the same as the one you see in the store manager in dsm6.1, at least for one controller

there may be differences in sequence of the controller depending on bios settings (bootable or not) or in which slot a controller is pluged in but as long as you only change the disk from one port to another you shoud see the disk "jumping" the same to a different port in the storage manager (if you have a real/original synology box the slots have numbers and will be equivalent to what you see in storage manager - disk 5 in dsm storage manager is not workking, replace disk in slot 5 of the hardware)

if you once find out which hardware sata port is the which port in dsm storage manager (one controller will be a block of disks in a row) then you will know what disk to change when one is failing, to map this just write down the SN's auf the disks and which hardware port they are connected and then have a look at dsm storage manager, the disks will show up with serial numbers (bare metal or virtual with vt-d)

in your case the 6 x onboard may also be 2+4 (or 4+2) and with the numbering of the two 4xmultilane ports there will be also two blocks of 4 drives in dsm

if that is documented it will be much easier/safer if a disk is to replace

Edited by Guest

THanks for the explanation.

By "logical disk" I meant in software vs actual hardwired.

I don't think my boards bios shows the disks.... I'll revisit it and have a look.

At any rate, using the benchmark tool in DSM has enabled me to identify which drive is which and thus what port sequence is being applied.

Where I was led astray was another thread that stated DSM was identifying the drive order off the drive response or some factor at build time for the array.

Re-labelling the wiring on the sas ports and labelling my Hot swap bays will make it nice and easy at any rate :smile:.

Is anyone able to help

Since updating to 6.0 MyPHPadmin isnt loading

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

N

Uninstall and re-install phpMyAdmin see if that helps.

Thanks. Turns out there is an issue with chrome not handling the java script on the page so using another browser solves it. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Where I was led astray was another thread that stated DSM was identifying the drive order off the drive response or some factor at build time for the array.

maybe it was aboute the fact that newer linux systems use a disk id instead of /dev/sdX when adressing a disk lets say in fstab so when the port changes the disk is still used correct while adressed/identifyed by the global unique id - means even if you change the position of the drives in your raid array the raid still should work afterwards

Can anyone help me load this module.

on juns loader 1.02 alpha 3615

3w-9xxx.ko

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php ... 3984253316

where does the *.ko come from? did you compile it from the synology kernel sources?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/ ... z/download

if you alrady have installed dsm (and the *.ko is correct) you can copy it to

\usr\lib\modules\ (where all kernel modules are located)

other way might be to add it to extra.lzma (synoboot.img\image.img\extra.lzma\extra\usr\lib\modules\) using osfmount or modify the extra.lzma that is already on the usb-stick (2nd partition)

I got it out of quicknicks loader.

extract it the lzma but windows wont let me load it into the new loader with osfmount and cant install sucessfull since is not reading any hard drives

3w-9xxx.ko

where does the *.ko come from? did you compile it from the synology kernel sources?

other way might be to add it to extra.lzma (synoboot.img\image.img\extra.lzma\extra\usr\lib\modules\) using osfmount or modify the extra.lzma that is already on the usb-stick (2nd partition)

then just try to change the extra.lzma file on the usb-stick

to load the kerel module you also have to change the /etc/modules in that file

DISK_MODULES="BusLogic vmw_pvscsi megaraid_mm megaraid_mbox megaraid scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi mptsas mptctl ata_piix megaraid_sas mpt2sas mpt3sas"

add your "3w-9xxx.ko" at the end

I wont let me write to it at all. osf mount read only checked off. Im using 7zip to get in extra.lzma

DISK_MODULES="BusLogic vmw_pvscsi megaraid_mm megaraid_mbox megaraid scsi_transport_spi mptbase mptscsih mptspi mptsas mptctl ata_piix megaraid_sas mpt2sas mpt3sas"

not shure what the shortest/best way is, i used linux comamnd line tools extract it and the same tools should also be able zu pack it the same way back - sorry i'm no expert at this, just trying to find just a way to do it somehow

lzma to extraxt the file "extra" from the extra.lzma, the "extra" is a cpio file so

cpio -idv < extra

to get the files out, ...

cpio --help

lzma --help

(or manpages or google)

Can you load it to the .img 3615 1.02a? ill give it a try see if it works thanks for all the help btw

not shure what the shortest/best way is, i used linux comamnd line tools extract it and the same tools should also be able zu pack it the same way back - sorry i'm no expert at this, just trying to find just a way to do it somehow

lzma to extraxt the file "extra" from the extra.lzma, the "extra" is a cpio file so

cpio -idv < extra

to get the files out, ...

cpio --help

lzma --help

(or manpages or google)

I got it out of quicknicks loader.

extract it the lzma but windows wont let me load it into the new loader with osfmount and cant install sucessfull since is not reading any hard drives

3w-9xxx.ko

Let me get this straight guys.

You are taking a module from Quicknick's loader v2.2 which is made for DSM 6.0.2 (kernel 3.10.77) and you are trying to added it to Jun's loader v1.02a (or v1.02a2) which is made for DSM 6.1 (kernel 3.10.102). That will simply NOT work. The module needs to be compiled against DSM 6.1 source code to work with DSM 6.1 and then it needs to be added to Jun's latest loader (v1.02a2). DSM 6.1 had an updated kernel thus the reason why modules need to be recompiled.

What could possibly work is to add the module to Jun's v1.01 loader ramdisk and update the rc.modules file (DO NOT add the extension .ko of the module in the rc.modules). That should normally work if the module was compiled properly. Keep in mind though that many modules in Quicknick's loader were faulty. This is one of the reasons why he took the loader down.

So im planing to upgrade my DSM 5.2 but i have some questions.

I'm currently running with LACP on 2 NICs, Do i need to change that before upgrading? the MAC-addresses is the same on all NICs when running LACP. Unclear what to change to in the img file.

Also i'm running with 16 drives and default only allows 12 drives, If i upgrade with the default synoinf.conf

The drive numbers will be all wrong and DSM will say that my RAID is degraded because of 4 missing drives.

Current synoinf.conf is:

maxdisks="16"

internalportcfg="0xfff"

esataportcfg="0xff000"

usbportcfg="0x300000"

The Hardware consist of 2 IBM M1015 with IT firmware, Not using any of the onboard SATA connectors, Only HBA.

Any sugestions on how to prepare for this?

So im planing to upgrade my DSM 5.2 but i have some questions.

I'm currently running with LACP on 2 NICs, Do i need to change that before upgrading? the MAC-addresses is the same on all NICs when running LACP. Unclear what to change to in the img file.

Also i'm running with 16 drives and default only allows 12 drives, If i upgrade with the default synoinf.conf

The drive numbers will be all wrong and DSM will say that my RAID is degraded because of 4 missing drives.

Current synoinf.conf is:

maxdisks="16"

internalportcfg="0xfff"

esataportcfg="0xff000"

usbportcfg="0x300000"

The Hardware consist of 2 IBM M1015 with IT firmware, Not using any of the onboard SATA connectors, Only HBA.

Any sugestions on how to prepare for this?

I presume you are using the real MAC address of the NIC. In principal there is no need to do anything for the LACP. Just make sure that your MAC address is reflected in the grub.cfg file for Synology Assistant to be able to find the box during install (read the tutorial).

That is correct. If some drives come up missing the raid will be degraded. I am not entirely sure how to proceed in your case specially because you have pushed the limits of what 3615xs is supposed to accept in terms of max drives. Normally the IBM M1015 uses the mpt2sas module which is included in Jun's loader v1.01 so from a compatibility stand point both cards should be fully functioning. For the rest, there are several ways to go but none will be a smooth ride in my opinion considering what I said above. I think you should find a way to remove 4 drives prior installation making sure the raid is not degraded before the upgrade.

I'll let others chime in on this.

DSM change the MAC addresses on the NICs when creating the bond and sets the same MAC on both NICs including the bond, I guess thats how it works.

Problem is i cannot se the real MAC addresses when i have LACP configured.

Well i will backup all the data before i do any of this so dataloss is not an issue, The array is an RAID 6 so i cannot remove 4 drives and still have a working array.

But i think i will just try to upgrade and let it drop 4 drives, edit the config files and reboot, Hope for the best that is can find the 4 lost drives after the reboot.

Or just import them manually.

Hi guys,

I just finished myfirst ownbuilt server. It is running some error-checking on my drive before the first run. Once its completed I will try out this XPEnology projekt for the first time.

I do have an old synology DS411 already so I know I like the interface. Now before I start should I check compatibility with my hardware somewhere? or is it just network driver compatibility for the motherboard?

Im running a MSI B250I pro motherboard, G4560 cpu and 8GB DDR4 ram from crucial. HDD is 8TB WD red.

I have only booted the machine one time in to BIOS so far and updated to the latest BIOS. Should I attempt in some way to update some drivers for the motherboard before I attempt to load some synology OS on it?

I have build machines before but always with windows.. The process then is just to build everything, boot with windows CD, install windows. Then once in the OS go and download all newest drivers som motherboard website..

How do I sort this now when Im not planning on booting to windows ever..? Just have it as a XPEnology NAS ... ?

Ty!

I need drivers for my sata card is a 3ware 9xxx

Let me get this straight guys.

You are taking a module from Quicknick's loader v2.2 which is made for DSM 6.0.2 (kernel 3.10.77) and you are trying to added it to Jun's loader v1.02a (or v1.02a2) which is made for DSM 6.1 (kernel 3.10.102). That will simply NOT work. The module needs to be compiled against DSM 6.1 source code to work with DSM 6.1 and then it needs to be added to Jun's latest loader (v1.02a2). DSM 6.1 had an updated kernel thus the reason why modules need to be recompiled.

What could possibly work is to add the module to Jun's v1.01 loader ramdisk and update the rc.modules file (DO NOT add the extension .ko of the module in the rc.modules). That should normally work if the module was compiled properly. Keep in mind though that many modules in Quicknick's loader were faulty. This is one of the reasons why he took the loader down.