XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Can you please mention which vpn are you using with your router?

Instead of QC it is better to make port forwarding. And all mobile applications well work for me without QC. Also there is tuned VPN (pptp, strongly wasn't distorted), which integrates my home network, parents and the village since not everywhere there is real ip and it was possible to use video surveillance normally. From my main house router port forwarding to all necessary is made.

Can you please mention which vpn are you using with your router?

Instead of QC it is better to make port forwarding. And all mobile applications well work for me without QC. Also there is tuned VPN (pptp, strongly wasn't distorted), which integrates my home network, parents and the village since not everywhere there is real ip and it was possible to use video surveillance normally. From my main house router port forwarding to all necessary is made.

Yeah that's another way using port forwarding.

I just use PPTN VPN on my router. Not all routers can do this though.

You can also run a VPN server on DSM and just forward the port for that.

Not sure what you mean and I can't read that thread unfortunately.

There would be desire. Translators in the general access are everywhere. Even browsers make machine translation. If I correctly understood why you can't read the specified subject.

DDNS from OVH has the server which is built in by vpn as I understood. In this regard it working by analogy with QC also it will be useful to those who have no Real of IP.

Hi,

I'm fairly new here and to Xpenology. Long time Synology user.

I'm building a NAS with the following hardware and want to use BTRFS.... I am interested to know what version of the boot loader and DSM to use. Also if there is any hardware that looks like it may be a problem.

Install will be bare metal.

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.cfm

- uses 10GBE (Intel X540 I think but on processor or chipset)

- Xeon D

- Not 100% sure of chipset.

- has IPMI onboard and video but these don't rely on DSM so I assume they will be fine anyway?

LSI 9211-8i http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272255777880?ul_noapp=true

- pretty sure I'll need to reflash this to IT mode.

The instructions state to begin populating the SATA ports at port 0. How does that work if I have 6 onboard ports and the 8 ports off the SAS card?

Thanks in advance for the help. :smile:

Have somebody an ISO file for 6.0.2? Problem is, I have a s*** mainboard (old one but 4 core) that is not able to boot from USB. ISO file works good. I try it with 5.2 and that works very good (burn it to boot from CDROM). But 6.0.2 have BTRFS support ....:smile:

Thanks

Have somebody an ISO file for 6.0.2? Problem is, I have a s*** mainboard (old one but 4 core) that is not able to boot from USB. ISO file works good. I try it with 5.2 and that works very good (burn it to boot from CDROM). But 6.0.2 have BTRFS support ....:smile:

Thanks

Although I have not tried this I am fairly certain it will not work from a CDROM. The media needs to be writable.

Yes, it works for Gen 7's.

Hi CtrlAltDel / Gronaldo - sorry but I'm currently trying to read through these 54 pages for advice, you posted that you were able to use Jun's loader with your HP Gen 7 microserver - was it a N54L?

If it was did you have to do anything to the image/config to get the nic working?

I think I can boot the image but not sure if I have the correct/latest version as the posted version from Jun has been removed, so not sure if the one I've been able to find is the latest.

My issue seems to be with any 5.+ usb boot image the N54L's MAC address is seen on the network switch it's attached to, on my version of Jun's loader there is no MAC address visible on the switch port it's attached to so the nic appears not to be working with this build - yes I've adjusted the s/n and mac address info in the image before booting.

Can anyone suggest any help or places where the confirmed latest build of Jun's loader can be downloaed please?

Yes, it works for Gen 7's.

Can anyone suggest any help or places where the confirmed latest build of Jun's loader can be downloaed please?

It works on N54L. My signature shows that I have an additional nic (left over from another project) but I can confirm that the onboard nic works just fine.

I followed the procedure in the first post of this thread. If you read it, it will point you to jun's OP. Right at the beginning of jun's post are two links either of which will get you the right loader for 6.0.

Be aware that the first link gets you to a folder which also contains jun's alpha loader for 6.1. You don't want that one. You want v1.01.

Hi there,

It seems I'm coming to the note 1 in the tutorial and don't know what to do:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. In doubt, just ask.

Everything worked well untill I start to search my NAS via find.sysnology.com or with the assistant. Both can't find my system?! I tried with two USB sticks, but ever the same.

How can I check the point with the NIC?

I'm using a N54L.

thx for your feedback

Hi there,

it's me again.

Though the post https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=66552 from billat29 I'm coming to the threat https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/ from Jun ... date 29 Sep. 2016. By using the link in his text I load the ...TEST_build-ALPHA.zip... and modified it to my USB stick and used it, but doesn't work. That means, I boot, select the right menu entry and got the screen with "Booting the kernel." at the end.

But I can't find the System in the network.

Any hints or ideas?

thx

duft4711 said:
Hi there,

It seems I'm coming to the note 1 in the tutorial and don't know what to do:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. In doubt, just ask.

Everything worked well untill I start to search my NAS via find.sysnology.com or with the assistant. Both can't find my system?! I tried with two USB sticks, but ever the same.

How can I check the point with the NIC?

I'm using a N54L.

thx for your feedback

Hi, I was in a similar position, but after thanks from billat29, go back to the 1st post in this thread and it'll link to the original here https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/

At this thread's 1st post there are links to the zip files, this is the file that works - Ds3615xs 6.0.2.Jun's Mod V1.01.zip

Read this amazing tutorial by Polanskiman : https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/

Download : here or here

link updated due to directory structure change of mega share -- by jun 2-28

That's the one that use the .img file inside and select the 'AMD' option when booting - option 4 from memory on the loader.

orzyl said:
Could someone please update here, an URL to all loaders? With alpha one?

No sorry. I have stated that this tutorial will remain at DMS 6.0.2, loader v1.01 until Jun's latest loader v1.02a come out of alpha. I do not want to promote Jun's latest loader until it has been tested extensively.

You can check the main thread in the announcement section with all the links to loaders in the OP.

duft4711 said:
Hi there,

it's me again.

Though the post https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=66552 from billat29 I'm coming to the threat https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/ from Jun ... date 29 Sep. 2016. By using the link in his text I load the ...TEST_build-ALPHA.zip... and modified it to my USB stick and used it, but doesn't work. That means, I boot, select the right menu entry and got the screen with "Booting the kernel." at the end.

But I can't find the System in the network.

Any hints or ideas?

thx

You could start with loader v1.01. You need to select the 3rd line in the Grub menu which says AMD.

Not sure what NIC you have but several people have been able to use the loader with N54L.

Make sure you are using the real MAC address of your NIC in the grub.cfg file, that your router has DHCP enabled and that the router is giving out an IP address to your machine after you have selected the 3rd line in the Grub menu. You need to log in your router to make sure.

Post back with the outcome so others can benefit from your experience.

Hi there,

shame on me and big sorry from me to you, because of disturbing you with my no-knowlegde.

It's my fault. Because of what reason I documented for me ... Server N54L with Intel CPU and 4GB Ram. But that's wrong!!! Server N54L is with AMD CPU.

So, if I choose the right way (line 3) it worked very fine.

Once again, thanks for you all and shame on me.

i've installed the DSM 6.0 based on tutorial. I used force instalall. After using Synology assitant installing DSM on my PC, the PC restarted but then when i connected to the PC through its IP, it still asked me to install again. I reinstalled once more time and the situation was the same as before! I don't know how to fix it! Any suggestion? Thanks !

Edit: Looks like i forgot to edit Mac address! It boots ok now!