XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Plug it in your NAS (avoid USB 3.0 ports. Use USB 2.0 port if available).

Is this still mandatory?? :eek:

Even if I use Jun's Loader v1.02 Alpha and DSM 6.1.x?

If yes what's the reason then? :???:

There is nothing mandatory about using a usb 2 port. It's just that some motherboards don't boot with a boot drive plugged on usb 3. That's it. Just try and see. If it works with the usb 3 port then great if not then revert to a usb 2 port.

From a resource perspective it's a waste to use a usb 3 port just for a boot drive.

Alright then and thanks for the information. :smile:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge with stock Samsung Nougat firmware

Polanskiman said:
theimpimp said:
theimpimp said:
I'm hoping someone can help me too :smile:.

I had an HP Gen8 Microserver running 5.2 for a while now. It is a “stock” Gen8 Microserver running nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I finally got fed up of the limits of 5.X and thought I’d make the jump, especially with this wonderfully helpful tutorial and several reports of Gen8 Microservers operating correctly. The machine is fully loaded, with 4 drives set up in SHR and a SSD acting as a cache disk.....I followed all the steps, and all was going fine and saw that I was upgrading - however upon final reboot, the Microserver seems to have gone into a loop showing as “recoverable” and always rebooting to the “recoverable" state, but never successfully booting to DSM. I have my router giving out a fixed IP to the MAC address of the server, and correctly copied by VID, PID, MAC1, MAC2 and also the serial from my old 5.2 install across. Synology Assistant shows it as being on Version 6.0.2-8451 currently.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried searching for other people with the "recoverable" loop issue but they seem to either have solved it themselves and not posted how or it was easy solutions like VID/PID mismatch - could it be worth trying a diff USB stick? I figure it has to be an issue with the update applied though as it can be found via the Synology Assistant... Stumped! :sad: Is there anyway of "Reapplying" the manual update pat file in case it was a bad upload or somesuch? Is there a way to wipe the DSM update but retain the data and try again? Any thoughts welcome & very much appreciated! :smile:

Make sure Bios is configured properly to start with and that all required info on grub file is correct. Careful with typos. Reboot your router before starting an install to make sure it's running fresh.

You can start with a re-install or force install see if that fixes anything. Otherwise you can wipe the DSM partition with a live ubuntu USB drive then install DSM again. All settings and apps will be gone obviously but your data is on a different partition so it should be safe. Since you have 4 drives the DSM partitions are normally these: dev/sda1, dev/sdb1, dev/sdc1, and dev/sdd1. Here is a tutorial I made on how to access the partitions in case you want to make a backup priori doing anything just in case: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

I think there were a few gen8 questions in the original Jun loader thread. Also check there.

Sent while on the move

nick w said:
Polanskiman said:
theimpimp said:
theimpimp said:
I'm hoping someone can help me too :smile:.

I had an HP Gen8 Microserver running 5.2 for a while now. It is a “stock” Gen8 Microserver running nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I finally got fed up of the limits of 5.X and thought I’d make the jump, especially with this wonderfully helpful tutorial and several reports of Gen8 Microservers operating correctly. The machine is fully loaded, with 4 drives set up in SHR and a SSD acting as a cache disk.....I followed all the steps, and all was going fine and saw that I was upgrading - however upon final reboot, the Microserver seems to have gone into a loop showing as “recoverable” and always rebooting to the “recoverable" state, but never successfully booting to DSM. I have my router giving out a fixed IP to the MAC address of the server, and correctly copied by VID, PID, MAC1, MAC2 and also the serial from my old 5.2 install across. Synology Assistant shows it as being on Version 6.0.2-8451 currently.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried searching for other people with the "recoverable" loop issue but they seem to either have solved it themselves and not posted how or it was easy solutions like VID/PID mismatch - could it be worth trying a diff USB stick? I figure it has to be an issue with the update applied though as it can be found via the Synology Assistant... Stumped! :sad: Is there anyway of "Reapplying" the manual update pat file in case it was a bad upload or somesuch? Is there a way to wipe the DSM update but retain the data and try again? Any thoughts welcome & very much appreciated! :smile:

Make sure Bios is configured properly to start with and that all required info on grub file is correct. Careful with typos. Reboot your router before starting an install to make sure it's running fresh.

You can start with a re-install or force install see if that fixes anything. Otherwise you can wipe the DSM partition with a live ubuntu USB drive then install DSM again. All settings and apps will be gone obviously but your data is on a different partition so it should be safe. Since you have 4 drives the DSM partitions are normally these: dev/sda1, dev/sdb1, dev/sdc1, and dev/sdd1. Here is a tutorial I made on how to access the partitions in case you want to make a backup priori doing anything just in case: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

I think there were a few gen8 questions in the original Jun loader thread. Also check there.

Sent while on the move

Thank you to both of you for this, very much appreciated! Will come back and post what happened in a bit in case anyone else has the same issues.

Sent from my Android phone, so likely full of hilarious typos....

Ok so I am continuing my quest to recover my NAS as I hope you'll continue with me along the ride...

BIOS is all correctly set up and normal.

I thought I'd try both a new USB and the Force Install / Reinstall options - The new USB has improved things a little bit - now it boots reliably to the kernel and I can see the box in Synology Assistant - I also can choose to recover my disks and I can choose a pat file - the new change now is that whenever I choose a PAT file it complains that "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted (13)" so naturally I re-downloaded the file from the OP and tried again, and again. I then thought fine, I'll resort to a clean install instead of a migration - same issue. I've tried all 4 of the options in the bootloader - normal, Reinstall, Force Install and even AMD on my intel Gen8 microserver and every single time it complains the pat file is corrupted. Now I'm assuming that the DSM partition has been wiped, so how can I overcome this wonderful obstacle? I'm feeling like at the moment even a clean install wouldn't work.

Is there a chance that a 6.1 install made its way on there and is preventing the "downgrade"? I am literally trying to think of anything now! :sad:

Ok so I am continuing my quest to recover my NAS as I hope you'll continue with me along the ride...

BIOS is all correctly set up and normal.

I thought I'd try both a new USB and the Force Install / Reinstall options - The new USB has improved things a little bit - now it boots reliably to the kernel and I can see the box in Synology Assistant - I also can choose to recover my disks and I can choose a pat file - the new change now is that whenever I choose a PAT file it complains that "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted (13)" so naturally I re-downloaded the file from the OP and tried again, and again. I then thought fine, I'll resort to a clean install instead of a migration - same issue. I've tried all 4 of the options in the bootloader - normal, Reinstall, Force Install and even AMD on my intel Gen8 microserver and every single time it complains the pat file is corrupted. Now I'm assuming that the DSM partition has been wiped, so how can I overcome this wonderful obstacle? I'm feeling like at the moment even a clean install wouldn't work.

Is there a chance that a 6.1 install made its way on there and is preventing the "downgrade"? I am literally trying to think of anything now! :sad:

If a force install didn't work then it's mostly certain that the corrupted error 13 you are seeing is the vid/pid that is erroneous. It has nothing to do with the pat being corrupted despite the misleading message. I mention this in the tutorial. Recheck it and then reinstall. I recommend at this stage wiping the system partition. It has been known that doing multiple install/reinstall/force installs ended up in confusing the installation process and locking standard installs.

To ALL:

I have added some modules to the ramdisk extra.lzma. If you feel like testing, it can be downloaded here. Keep a copy of the old extra.lzma ramdisk as a precaution. I wont be held responsible for any damage caused. This ramdisk is ONLY to be used for Jun's LOADER v1.01 under DSM 6.0.2. It will not work for v1.02a under DSM 6.1. For the curious, I used some of the modules contained in Quicknick's loader.

I ordered a new nettwork card with the module I mentioned above. But maybe it will work with my intergrated one now wich is supposed to be supported inn quicknicks loader:

Intel[emoji768] 82575EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I Will try it for sure.

Again, thank you

Module for 82575EB is already included in the base ramdisk. Most intel NICs drivers are actually included. Those were added by Trantor and Arcao when the loader came out late last year.

Ok.

I have search for it in the 1st post, but cant find any information that it is added.

Ive tried the jun's loader v1.01several times and It will not work with 82575EB

Maybe it will work now, I hope so.

If I'm not wrong the module of that NIC is basee on igb drivers.

Try modifying the grub file as following if it doesn't work:

In the gub file change the following line:

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

to:

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma

Hi,

Im currently using the xpenolog 5.2 loader from mid last year on my barebone setup. Its an intel system(motherboard:DQ45EK) with an onboard NIC (Intel 82567LM Gigabit chipset i believe). MB specs: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/16959/ ... nglish.pdf

I wanted to give dsm 6 a show. So i burnt the Jun 1.01 loader to the USB. Now i have tested that usb stick on my desktop pc and it is bootable for sure.

However the barebone system doesnt seem to be getting a network link. As my router uses static ip assignment and im not able to ping the IP. From what i've found here, the NIC is supported.

UPDATE: figured it out. Had to set to BIOS to use UEFI boot instead of legacy...

Now it found my station.

I chose migrate. But then it states: -failed to connect-.

I was never asked for the .PAT file. ??

Now after restart it wants to recover, If I choose recover, it starts the 10 min counter after only 3%, but after 10 min it states -failed to connect-. When I refresh it wants to recover again..

What to do? need help...

Hi all. Great tutorial and info here.

Quick question about changing the sn in the grub.cfg is this only necessary to get quickconnect to work?

Where should I get a sn from or just make it up?

I didn't change it from default but once I did get a message in DSM that said something like "not authorised" not sure if that's related or not.

Thanks in advance.

Wanted to first say a BIG thank you to Jun and Polanskiman for this great loader and the easy to use instructions. I did have one question has anyone had any luck with using LACP or Bonding with a managed switch? I did see the note about Jumbo Frames and wanted to know if the issue still remains with loader version 1.0.1 and if that would affect using LACP. I had a heck of a time getting my rig to update 9 had to re-install 2 times before I could get it to work right. When I did finally get it to work right it was without LACP. When I was using LACP it was after the initial install but before the reboot for the update to update 8. Once I did the update it would reboot and the machine would respond to ping and the services such as Plex would be working but the web GUI was not working and I couldn't browse the files using SMB or AFP. I have read through this entire post and didn't see anyone mention about using this so wanted to ask. Also I have put my system specs in my Signature in case anyone else has a similar system. Also to get update 9 to work I had to simply re-image my usb drive and it booted fine. The first boot I didn't re-image the drive and it wouldn't respond to anything and I was like ah crap here we go again. But after the re-image it works great.

Quick question about changing the sn in the grub.cfg is this only necessary to get quickconnect to work?

I didn't change it from default but once I did get a message in DSM that said something like "not authorised" not sure if that's related or not.

Thanks in advance.

No need to change the S/N. The serial number doesn't do anything much by itself. For QuickConnect to work the S/N needs to be paired with a Synology MAC address. I do no support the use of QuickConnect on Xpenology as it's a violation of Synology's service.

For the MAC address just use the real MAC address of your NIC.

Where do you see such "not authorised" message? When using QuickConnect? If so then it's normal because Synology uses a paired S/N - MAC as commented above.

Thanks in advance.

No need to change the S/N. The serial number doesn't do anything much by itself. For QuickConnect to work the S/N needs to be paired with a Synology MAC address. I do no support the use of QuickConnect on Xpenology as it's a violation of Synology's service.

For the MAC address just use the real MAC address of your NIC.

Where do you see such "not authorised" message? When using QuickConnect? If so then it's normal because Synology uses a paired S/N - MAC as commented above.

Ah ok thanks. Yes I'm not worried about using quickconnect as maybe a little concerned about security so just vpn into my router to access DSM.

The unauthorised message appeared in DSM just moving between screens nothing in particular. Not happened since but not used it that much as only on test HP Gen8 microserver for now. I'll get screenshot if it appears again.

Thanks

Hi,

I want install DSM6 on a SSD sata disk.

I boot without set vid and pid but i receive an error when upload PAT file (file corrupted (13)).

Which operations need to install dsm on a pure sata disk?

Thanks

I'll say this more politely than many people on here might...

You cannot do that.

Read all the posts.

You must Set the PID/VID. You are getting an error that is documented about 100 times on this forum.

Read all the posts.

This might help too. http://bfy.tw/Arjn

I'll say this more politely than many people on here might...

You cannot do that.

Read all the posts.

You must Set the PID/VID. You are getting an error that is documented about 100 times on this forum.

Read all the posts.

This might help too. http://bfy.tw/Arjn

Oh you're very funny and helpfull.

I read all posts and all say for VID and PID, and i got this question if it was possible.

No possible ok, i install it on a USB Key.

I set SN,mac1,VID&PID (correct), but when reboot Xpenology don't ask for IP to DHCP (DHCP is configured well).

I'll try with a new USB key.