XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I decided to take it one step further. On the system as it is now (DSM 6 installed, configured, and seemingly happy) I went ahead and changed SATA (in UEFI) to AHCI - it still works! Amazing!

I guess, I'll dig out another USB drive and an old hard drive to start a brand new install to test out native MAC with AHCI from the get go.

Thanks again for your support!

I decided to take it one step further. On the system as it is now (DSM 6 installed, configured, and seemingly happy) I went ahead and changed SATA (in UEFI) to AHCI - it still works! Amazing!

I guess, I'll dig out another USB drive and an old hard drive to start a brand new install to test out native MAC with AHCI from the get go.

Thanks again for your support!

So you were able to install after changing the MAC address?

Btw I added the link to the ddns procedure I was refering to in my previous post.

Just wanted to say a quick thankyou to all involved in this. I've just updated from 5.2 to 6.0, bare metal on HP Gen8 with no issues whatsoever.

I decided to change the MAC address and create a "proper" serial for the box as part of the upgrade but can't get it to login to my synology account, but that's another story...

Solved

Things work much better when the DHCP server is running. My apologies.

First post on this site. Thank you to all the excellent contributors on this site. I decided to try a install on my older HP Microserver since its just sitting around and it has 5 drives total. The only problem I've had is the little server must have a NIC that has no driver. The hardware is AMD based and the NIC is a "1GbE NC107i 1 Port".

I've read a lot on this forum trying to figure out how to get the driver loaded but no luck unfortunately.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get this to work if at all possible.

I was not able to install with native MAC and AHCI.

I was able to install in ATA and any MAC.

I've repeated it a number of times:

-Set SATA to ATA

-Install DSM 6

-Change SATA to AHCI

Everything seems to be working.

Allowing DSM to update to 6.02 fails, so I'm stuck for now. Stuck but hoping that development will continue here.

Thanks for your help Polanskiman.

Best to all.

Solved

Things work much better when the DHCP server is running. My apologies.

First post on this site. Thank you to all the excellent contributors on this site. I decided to try a install on my older HP Microserver since its just sitting around and it has 5 drives total. The only problem I've had is the little server must have a NIC that has no driver. The hardware is AMD based and the NIC is a "1GbE NC107i 1 Port".

I've read a lot on this forum trying to figure out how to get the driver loaded but no luck unfortunately.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get this to work if at all possible.

Which micro server do you have?

I have Gen7 40L and Gen8 microservers and they run DSM 6.0 (Jun's v1.x loader) including power governor, wol and the power button.

Mine's an old skanker :smile: but its working fine. Mine is the N36L with 8Gb of ram and 4 500 Mb drives.

I just tried to update to 6.02 -9 and I may of blown it up :roll: but that's ok.

I'll keep messing with it and maybe get 6.1 on it if I can figure it out.

Mine's an old skanker :smile: but its working fine. Mine is the N36L with 8Gb of ram and 4 500 Mb drives.

I just tried to update to 6.02 -9 and I may of blown it up :roll: but that's ok.

I'll keep messing with it and maybe get 6.1 on it if I can figure it out.

I don't recommend going to 6.1 with the latest loader. It seems rather unstable and I have only read problems. Keep trying with the current loader v.1.01 which is known to work fine.

I was not able to install with native MAC and AHCI.

I was able to install in ATA and any MAC.

I've repeated it a number of times:

-Set SATA to ATA

-Install DSM 6

-Change SATA to AHCI

Everything seems to be working.

Allowing DSM to update to 6.02 fails, so I'm stuck for now. Stuck but hoping that development will continue here.

Thanks for your help Polanskiman.

Best to all.

Not sure I understand. You say you can install then you say you can't update. Are you on 6.0.2 or not?

You should use AHCI mode with SATA.

Try reseting the bios and starting over with the recommended settings (Boot order USB HDD>HDD / AHCI / USB UEFI or legacy etc etc).

Make sure the grub.cfg file is properly configured and that there is no typos.

Although you can use some random MAC I recommend using your NIC's real MAC address. Never heard/read of using the real NIC MAC address being a problem before. Make sure your router is properly configured and that the MAC address is not fixed in the router. Reboot router if necessary before install and make sure DHCP server is on.

Personally I think the problem is coming from a Bios configuration or better put, misconfiguration.

Good luck

1 Using NIC's MAC was never part of my problem, it was someone else's observation that you asked me (might be by mistake) to test and so I did.

2 Router is properly configured and that NIC was not set for DHCP reservation or anything else of that sort.

3 My problem was inability to install Jun's 1.01 (under AHCI). I can install DSM5 in AHCI though.

4 I am only able to install Jun's 1.01 if I set motherboard to ATA, then install goes smoothly. After successful install I can change SATA to AHCI.

5 BIOS has been reset multiple times and has no effect

6 I am using NIC's MAC (and was able to configure DDNS without using synology - thank you for your suggestion and advice)

7 GRUB must be correct since I can install while in ATA

I'm hoping someone can help me too :smile:.

I had an HP Gen8 Microserver running 5.2 for a while now. It is a “stock” Gen8 Microserver running nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I finally got fed up of the limits of 5.X and thought I’d make the jump, especially with this wonderfully helpful tutorial and several reports of Gen8 Microservers operating correctly. The machine is fully loaded, with 4 drives set up in SHR and a SSD acting as a cache disk.

I followed all the steps, and all was going fine and saw that I was upgrading - however upon final reboot, the Microserver seems to have gone into a loop showing as “recoverable” and always rebooting to the “recoverable" state, but never successfully booting to DSM. I have my router giving out a fixed IP to the MAC address of the server, and correctly copied by VID, PID, MAC1, MAC2 and also the serial from my old 5.2 install across. Synology Assistant shows it as being on Version 6.0.2-8451 currently.

If I choose to 'recover' the DSM install, the server reboots, and then cannot boot to the USB and has to be powered off, and then powered on again before it will successfully boot to the USB again. At this point it returns to the "recoverable" status and the whole thing starts again. I’d like to get 6.X running and I assume that going back to 5.2 isn’t possible (I do have my old USB for 5.2 here though safe and sound as per the instructions).

Can anyone help? I’d prefer to not have to get ruthless and try wiping and starting again as while I have a backup of the data, this should be working correctly! (not blaming the instructions AT ALL or all the hard work that has gone into this - just makes no sense to me! :smile: and the tinkerer in me wants it to work!)

Can anyone suggest a way forwards? I miss my home server massively already!

Many thanks in advance. Let me know if you need more data and I can see what I can do!

Since the upgrade, my usb tv tuner isnt working

could that be down to the loader?

It was working in 5.2 and is still on the compatibility matrix

Thanks

Nick

Most certainly drivers aren't included.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm might need to have a google for the drivers. Thanks

Sent while on the move

Having a Google, it doesn't look very easy to do.... Hmmmmm

Sent while on the move

It's not just a matter of finding the drivers. They must be compiled against DSM 6 source code to generate the appropriate module then added to the ramdsik in the loader. It's not all that difficult if you are acquainted with linux and command lines, otherwise it's better done by someone who has the know-how.

Not sure what tv tuner you have but you might ask around the forum see if some people are willing to compile those for you if you don't feel like undertaking the task.

Thanks for the help

I can navigate around linux but i think compiling drives against the DSM sourecode is a few leagues above my knowledge

Thanks again for the tutorial. It was very accurate and for those who have issues, read, read, and re-read the guide. It helped me upgrade my DSM5.2 on an HP N54L

Thanks Polanskiman!

Thanks for the help

I can navigate around linux but i think compiling drives against the DSM sourecode is a few leagues above my knowledge

Thanks again for the tutorial. It was very accurate and for those who have issues, read, read, and re-read the guide. It helped me upgrade my DSM5.2 on an HP N54L

Thanks Polanskiman!

You are welcome.

I had an HP Gen8 Microserver running 5.2 for a while now. It is a “stock” Gen8 Microserver running nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I finally got fed up of the limits of 5.X and thought I’d make the jump, especially with this wonderfully helpful tutorial and several reports of Gen8 Microservers operating correctly. The machine is fully loaded, with 4 drives set up in SHR and a SSD acting as a cache disk.....I followed all the steps, and all was going fine and saw that I was upgrading - however upon final reboot, the Microserver seems to have gone into a loop showing as “recoverable” and always rebooting to the “recoverable" state, but never successfully booting to DSM. I have my router giving out a fixed IP to the MAC address of the server, and correctly copied by VID, PID, MAC1, MAC2 and also the serial from my old 5.2 install across. Synology Assistant shows it as being on Version 6.0.2-8451 currently.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried searching for other people with the "recoverable" loop issue but they seem to either have solved it themselves and not posted how or it was easy solutions like VID/PID mismatch - could it be worth trying a diff USB stick? I figure it has to be an issue with the update applied though as it can be found via the Synology Assistant... Stumped! :sad: Is there anyway of "Reapplying" the manual update pat file in case it was a bad upload or somesuch? Is there a way to wipe the DSM update but retain the data and try again? Any thoughts welcome & very much appreciated! :smile:

Plug it in your NAS (avoid USB 3.0 ports. Use USB 2.0 port if available).

Is this still mandatory?? :eek:

Even if I use Jun's Loader v1.02 Alpha and DSM 6.1.x?

If yes what's the reason then? :???:

There is nothing mandatory about using a usb 2 port. It's just that some motherboards don't boot with a boot drive plugged on usb 3. That's it. Just try and see. If it works with the usb 3 port then great if not then revert to a usb 2 port.

From a resource perspective it's a waste to use a usb 3 port just for a boot drive.

theimpimp said:
theimpimp said:

I had an HP Gen8 Microserver running 5.2 for a while now. It is a “stock” Gen8 Microserver running nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. I finally got fed up of the limits of 5.X and thought I’d make the jump, especially with this wonderfully helpful tutorial and several reports of Gen8 Microservers operating correctly. The machine is fully loaded, with 4 drives set up in SHR and a SSD acting as a cache disk.....I followed all the steps, and all was going fine and saw that I was upgrading - however upon final reboot, the Microserver seems to have gone into a loop showing as “recoverable” and always rebooting to the “recoverable" state, but never successfully booting to DSM. I have my router giving out a fixed IP to the MAC address of the server, and correctly copied by VID, PID, MAC1, MAC2 and also the serial from my old 5.2 install across. Synology Assistant shows it as being on Version 6.0.2-8451 currently.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried searching for other people with the "recoverable" loop issue but they seem to either have solved it themselves and not posted how or it was easy solutions like VID/PID mismatch - could it be worth trying a diff USB stick? I figure it has to be an issue with the update applied though as it can be found via the Synology Assistant... Stumped! :sad: Is there anyway of "Reapplying" the manual update pat file in case it was a bad upload or somesuch? Is there a way to wipe the DSM update but retain the data and try again? Any thoughts welcome & very much appreciated! :smile:

Make sure Bios is configured properly to start with and that all required info on grub file is correct. Careful with typos. Reboot your router before starting an install to make sure it's running fresh.

You can start with a re-install or force install see if that fixes anything. Otherwise you can wipe the DSM partition with a live ubuntu USB drive then install DSM again. All settings and apps will be gone obviously but your data is on a different partition so it should be safe. Since you have 4 drives the DSM partitions are normally these: dev/sda1, dev/sdb1, dev/sdc1, and dev/sdd1. Here is a tutorial I made on how to access the partitions in case you want to make a backup priori doing anything just in case: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/