XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Wich Intel CPU are supported in all their features?

J4205-ITX Intel Apollo Lake

J3455-ITX Intel Apollo Lake

J3710-ITX Intel Braswell

J3160-ITX Intel Braswell

I would like to know if they're supported with all cores and CPU Burst because, in the forum there are misunderstanding about these things.

Synology new models like DS916+ nas are on Intel N3710 and supports Transcoding with PLEX with AVC, HEVC and AES-NI hardware encryption.

Would be nice use these features for me

Bit of advice please. I upgraded from 5.0 to 5.2 (update 1) and started the upgrade to 6.0 using v1.1 of Jun's loader (on a N54L). Following the instructions on here, but on step 9, I'm seeing the status as "migratable" in the Syno Assistant, but when connecting I'm only seeing an option to Install, not migrate. There's a message saying "We've detected that the hard drives of your current DS3615xs had been moved from a previous DS3615xs and installing a newer DSM is required before continuing".

I don't want to lose any data (I can live with reinstalling packages etc), do I click install and then get more options?

I would like to help the community about some nic not detected by jun's loader.

I read that lot of people are asking for reatek,intel,atheros... driver.

These driver are already included and loaded at boot.

But it seems that some nic doesn't come up :sad:

I even read that editing grub.conf allow a user to get his i210 working : https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=62079

So I test myself and here are the results:

With initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd (latest drivers are loaded)

admin@Diskstation:/$ dmesg | grep -i intel
[   19.425168] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.1.0.2-NAPI
[   19.448365] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.2.17
[   19.459710] Intel(R) 10 Gigabit PCI Express Network Driver - version 4.3.13

With initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma ("old" drivers are loaded from ramdisk.lzma)

[   20.458148] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.3.5-NAPI
[   20.472911] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.4
[   20.508066] Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express Linux Network Driver - version 4.4.6

In both case e1000e, igb and ixgbe are loaded but in the second case extra.lzma (updated drivers) are overwritten by the "old" in the ramdrive.lzma

I'm glad to see that this trick allow some user to get their nic working but it's not normal that old driver works and the updated one doesn't.

Something is going wrong during the initial/pre boot step but I don't have serial cable at home to run some debug.

Gigabyte X99-UD4 with an Intel I218 (e1000e) is ok

Zotac ID11 with a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 (r8168) is ok

Asus E35M1-I DELUXE wit Realtek RTL8111E (r8168) is ok

I really don't understand what's happen on some system :sad:

PS : Big thank to Polanskiman for your amazing jobs in this thread :grin:

Hi guys,

I successfuly migrated to 6.0, but I noticed as major loss of speed in the data transfers between my external USB 3.0 HDD plugged through my Transcend TS-PDC3 cards on SATA ports.

Did anyone else experienced the same problem with those cards ?

Or does someone know what could cause this problem ?

Trantor said:
I would like to help the community about some nic not detected by jun's loader.

I read that lot of people are asking for reatek,intel,atheros... driver.

These driver are already included and loaded at boot.

But it seems that some nic doesn't come up :sad:

I even read that editing grub.conf allow a user to get his i210 working : https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=62079

So I test myself and here are the results:

With initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd (latest drivers are loaded)

[   19.425168] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.1.0.2-NAPI
[   19.448365] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.2.17
[   19.459710] Intel(R) 10 Gigabit PCI Express Network Driver - version 4.3.13

With initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma ("old" drivers are loaded from ramdisk.lzma)

[   20.458148] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.3.5-NAPI
[   20.472911] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.4
[   20.508066] Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express Linux Network Driver - version 4.4.6

In both case e1000e, igb and ixgbe are loaded but in the second case extra.lzma (updated drivers) are overwritten by the "old" in the ramdrive.lzma

I'm glad to see that this trick allow some user to get their nic working but it's not normal that old driver works and the updated one doesn't.

Something is going wrong during the initial/pre boot step but I don't have serial cable at home to run some debug.

Gigabyte X99-UD4 with an Intel I218 (e1000e) is ok

Zotac ID11 with a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 (r8168) is ok

Asus E35M1-I DELUXE wit Realtek RTL8111E (r8168) is ok

I really don't understand what's happen on some system :sad:

PS : Big thank to Polanskiman for your amazing jobs in this thread :grin:

Thanks Trantor. Doing my best to support people with the loader since Jun is not active anymore. My insight is limited since I did not create the loader.

I do have serial cable at home which I could use to debug. Anything specific I should be looking for? Or maybe if you need some logs let me know and I send them to you.

I don't think it will work as the loader or more precisely speaking the patch/hack that Jun developed targets DSM 6.0.2 Beta 7274 source code. The code was updated on 7321 so the patch is more likely not to work on that version. Basically you would need to look into the source code of 7321, but then again it's not available. Better wait DSM 6.1 source code which Synology has said would release "soon". We all know what that means though.

You could ask Jun directly for more details but don't get your hopes high as he hasn't been active in the forum for quite some time now.

Scratch that. What I said was blissfully ignorant. In fact when installing DSM with Jun's loader we are using DSM 6.0.2 Branch 8451 PAT file.

I would also like to correct one small detail in what I said in my initial answer: it's not "DSM 6.0.2 Beta 7274" BUT "DSM 6.0 Beta 2 branch 7274". Small but important detail.

Finally, it would be more accurate to say the word "uses" instead of "targets" in my quote.

I recommend you ask Jun, he knows better what he created. The worst that can happen is that he doesn't answer!

Edited by Guest

I have an HP N40L and am having trouble. My guess is that the NIC is not loading. Once the machine boots Synology Assistant can't find it on the network. It works fine when I boot it with my 5.2 USB disk. I modified the as directed and changed the VID and PID to match my USB drive, changed the serial number to a random number and set the MAC address to the MAC address of my machine.

I see that others have this machine working. Hopefully I'm missing something simple.

Thanks.

I have the same device and mine works fine with the inbuilt nic, make sure you are selecting amd selection in the boot menu press space bar when the print appears and reselect amd again that worked for me on update 9
THANK YOU! I'm an idiot. I didn't realize the CPU was an AMD. Problem solved. Thanks.

Updated to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9 and got recovery bootloop on intel motherboard. Reinstal/forcereinstall failed, but booted with AMD option and this solved all problems.

Any chance to get PCI raid card (silicon image 3114) work on Synology 6? Have only 3 SATA ports on motherboard, and SataPortMap option 34 doesn't help to me :sad:

Updated to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9 and got recovery bootloop on intel motherboard. Reinstal/forcereinstall failed, but booted with AMD option and this solved all problems.

Any chance to get PCI raid card (silicon image 3114) work on Synology 6? Have only 3 SATA ports on motherboard, and SataPortMap option 34 doesn't help to me :sad:

You are actually not providing any information on your hardware. That would have been useful to everyone. If the AMD option worked it's because your CPU is AMD.

You are actually not providing any information on your hardware. That would have been useful to everyone. If the AMD option worked it's because your CPU is AMD.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-C1007UN (Built in with an Intel® Dual-core Celeron® 1007U processor), 8Gb ram, 4Tb hdd + 2*2Tb hdd, St-lab A224 PCI Raid (Doesn't work on DSM 6, have 4 useless hhd's connected to raid controller).

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-C1007UN (Built in with an Intel® Dual-core Celeron® 1007U processor), 8Gb ram, 4Tb hdd + 2*2Tb hdd, St-lab A224 PCI Raid (Doesn't work on DSM 6, have 4 useless hhd's connected to raid controller).

I stand corrected. Strange though that the AMD selection would work on an intel cpu. Would you mind looking at the grubenv file in the loader and tell me what's in it?

Hi Polanski man. First great thanks for your support in all of this.

I just read that 6.1 is a no go ATM. I also read that Update 9 is also problematic. I don't have any problems atm with update 9. Can you tell me why and how update 9 can give issues and

what to avoid?

Thanks!

6.1 is an absolute no go with the current v1.01 loader. Unless Jun or someone else come with a new loader, DSM 6.0 update 9 is as far as we can update DSM 6.

Update 9 has been problematic to some people (only after it being applied) but it seems that most of them were able to make their box work again either by re-writing the image to their usb drive and configuring the grub.cfg file again or simply by hard rebooting their box after applying update 9. That's all there is to it.

Hi and thanks for those involved in this project.

got a question my setup is ASRock Q1900-ITX with 8gb of ram and a SYBA PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card (Chipset: Marvell 88SE9215).

what should be the SataPortMap configuration to make the PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card work.

as off right now the motherboard 4 sata are full and the setup without the PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card is working wonderfully.

Edit1:just plug the SYBA PCI-Express and did works not edits in the SataPortMap, i got it set to 4. :grin:

edit 2:after a reboot thePCI-Express SATA III does not show any more. :shock:

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone!

I'm use dsm 5.2 in hyper-v on ms gen8 with xpenoboot loader. After update to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9 have error message - all partition was disconnect or something like that.

Can anybody help me? Don't want to lose all family foto and video...

Sorry for my enlish im from Russia.