XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hello everybody,

thank a lot for the tutorial. It worked!

One question though, DSM Info shows as a Prozessor "INTEL Core i3-4130 with 2 Prozessors à 3.4 GHz". But I have installed an i5-7500 with 4 Processors à 3.4 GHz. Is this only a mistake in the info-screen or do I need to do something to adjust this?

Thanks,

Jaithn

This is normal.

Speed is real, but procesor model is wrong, on every Xpenology.

Hello world. I have a DSM 5.2-5644 upd 5 on HP Micro Server Gen8 with 1610 Celeron upgraded to DSM 6.0.2 8451 upd5 by jun's loader.

Question:

Can upgrade to DSM 6.0.2 8451 upd9 by control panel?

thanks

ooooookkkkay

Polanskiman wrote:

To everyone:

I recommend not to update to update 9. Some people are experiencing issues. A hard reboot may fix the problem in some instances but this does not seem to fix the issue for everyone, so stay on update 8 until further notice. Tutorial has been updated accordingly.

I suspect there may be driver issues with the three types of 10G cards I own.

OEM of Intel SFP+

-shows up but will neither accept a static IP nor a DHCP address, instead defaulting to a 169.x.x.x

-Firmware up to date

-Intel 82599 chipset (not listed specifically but it is seen and part of intel bundle so I "hoped" it would work)

-work OK in XPenology 5.2

IBM OEM 42C1792

-Broadcomm NetXtreme 2 (bnx2x) (listed and should work)

-firmware bnx2x-e1-7.0.29.0,

maybe firmware is not in correct locations (in 5.x it was copy bnx2x-e1-7.0.29.0.fw into /lib/firmware/bnx2x)

-shows up accept a static IP, good Write performance (400-800 MB/sec) terrible Read Performance (1-2 MB/Sec)

-Broadcomm BCM57710

-work OK in XPenology 5.2

Mellanox ConnectX-2 1 Port SFP+

-firmware=unknown

-not listed, not expected to work.

-not seen on boot, stops boot progression in fact.

-works OK in Windows test

To which version can I upgrade my HP N40L (now i have 5.1, but can upgrade to 5.2 5644.5), to have phpvirtualbox working ?

Is it safe to upgrade? I need phpvirtualbox and working ACL on encrypted folders.

Please - if anybody knows, don't leave this post not replied. :wink:

Are there any news about update 9? It isn't really specified what issues it is causing, and I can't see much about related topics either.

Some people were unable access their box after applying update s9, that is why I issued a warning. So far what I have seen is that the issue happened to people who where using Jun's loader v1.0 and not v1.01. It seems that most of the time the issue was resolved by either updating to the newer version of the loader or simply burning the image loader again on the usb drive.

Edited by Guest

Hi all

so my first post and already a question to this great project as I have tried upgrading from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 checking this doc here.

Unfortunately when trying to reboot from the fresh flashed usb stick with junes loader 1.01 i only do see a blinking cursor although with dsm 5.2 everything is working as expected(so all hardware is working). So I am wondering how to check wghich driver might be missing or is having an issue or if I should just get different hardware or just wait for an updated version?

my current hardware is a HP dc7700 SFF (https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq ... ess/specs/)

anything wrong with this for DSM 6 ?

Thanks so much

Hi all

so my first post and already a question to this great project as I have tried upgrading from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 checking this doc here.

Unfortunately when trying to reboot from the fresh flashed usb stick with junes loader 1.01 i only do see a blinking cursor although with dsm 5.2 everything is working as expected(so all hardware is working). So I am wondering how to check wghich driver might be missing or is having an issue or if I should just get different hardware or just wait for an updated version?

my current hardware is a HP dc7700 SFF (https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq ... ess/specs/)

anything wrong with this for DSM 6 ?

Thanks so much

Make sure your bios is configured to boot in UEFI mode. If your MB doesn't support UEFI then make sure you boot from legacy by selecting the proper boot drive during boot or by configuring your bios beforehand so that it boots the loader in legacy mode.

Hi guys,

I would like to make few changes to the boot image and specifically to the content of ramdisk.lzma which is in \image\DS3615xs\ folder. The problem is that I cannot unsquash the file it's giving me:

Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on ramdisk.lzma

I have compiled squashfs4.3 with LZMA_XZ_SUPPORT ebnabled, but no joy.

@Polanskiman, do you have any recommendation to linux flavour, packages needed or any tips how to properly unsquashfs the ramdisk.lzma edit it and then mksquashfs it back?

Hi guys,

I would like to make few changes to the boot image and specifically to the content of ramdisk.lzma which is in \image\DS3615xs\ folder. The problem is that I cannot unsquash the file it's giving me:

Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on ramdisk.lzma

I have compiled squashfs4.3 with LZMA_XZ_SUPPORT ebnabled, but no joy.

@Polanskiman, do you have any recommendation to linux flavour, packages needed or any tips how to properly unsquashfs the ramdisk.lzma edit it and then mksquashfs it back?

Not sure if this is what you are after but here you go:

Unpack script:

#!/bin/bash
rm -r ramdisk
mkdir ramdisk
cd ramdisk
unlzma -c ../ramdisk.lzma | cpio -im
cd ..

repack script:

#!/bin/bash
cd ramdisk
find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma > ../ramdisk_new.lzma
cd ..

Just so that you know the image is already a hybrid image efi/bios.

Great, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Before I start doing any work on the image I would like to explain what I would like to achieve.

My current server is running 5.2 on xenon CPU with 16 GB of ram, 6Gb LSI HBA, this is so I can run few virtual machines using the VpirtualBox with php GUI package from http://spk.diablos-netzwerk.de/#showhistory_virtualbox. It works perfectly on 5.2 and I wanted to create a test bed so I can see how it works on 6.x before I move the whole system.

Unfortunately the latest supported version by the VirtualBox is DSM 6.0 7321. My aim was to edit VERSION file inside /etc/ folder so it lets me install the DSM_DS3615xs_7321.pat .

Is the loader going to work with 6.0 7321 at all or I should not waste my time and wait for release of the DSM source for the current versions?

I have already tested all the features from the 6.0.2 updat8 using your loader, the one I'm particularly interested in is btrfs, I was able to make snapshots send them over ssh to remote locations, run stuff directly off the remote snapshots it's just awesome. Been log wait to see zfs-like file-system on the Synology :smile:

That's odd, I've tried Ubuntu 16 and CentOS 7 with lzma tools installed.

I used kpartx on the synoboot.img so I can map the partitions, and then mounted the first partition to be able to copy the ramdisk.lzma:

unzip DS3615xs\ 6.0.2\ Jun\'s\ Mod\ V1.01.zip
kpartx -av synoboot.img
add map loop0p1 (253:0): 0 61440 linear /dev/loop0 2048
add map loop0p2 (253:1): 0 30720 linear /dev/loop0 63488
add map loop0p3 (253:2): 0 8159 linear /dev/loop0 94208

mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt/
mkdir dev
cd dev/
cp -a /mnt/image/DS3615xs/ramdisk.lzma 
ls -lh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5.9M Nov  2 09:34 ramdisk.lzma

mkdir ramdisk
cd ramdisk
# unlzma -c ../ramdisk.lzma | cpio -im
45997 blocks
unlzma: ../ramdisk.lzma: Compressed data is corrupt

I get same error no matter what I do. Any idea?

Well it didn't work. I mean I get the boot screen up to the moment where it says Booting kernel. but without any output it's hard to say what is going on. It basically doesn't get a DHCP lease that I know for sure as I'm doing tcpdump on my DHCP server.

My new VERSION file looks like:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="0"
productversion="6.0"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="7321"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2016/04/18"
buildtime="05:10:40"
unique="synology_bromolow_3615xs"
extractsize=680844

I think it's a correct format. I manged once to downgrade my 5.x DSM and I rmember I had to edit this file to be able to install earlier version of *pat file.

If any one is more familiar with this and you think it would take you few minutes to generate working synoboot.img or at least ramdisk.lzma for DSM_DS3615xs_7321.pat I would much appreciate it.

Well it didn't work. I mean I get the boot screen up to the moment where it says Booting kernel. but without any output it's hard to say what is going on. It basically doesn't get a DHCP lease that I know for sure as I'm doing tcpdump on my DHCP server.

My new VERSION file looks like:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="0"
productversion="6.0"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="7321"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2016/04/18"
buildtime="05:10:40"
unique="synology_bromolow_3615xs"
extractsize=680844

I think it's a correct format. I manged once to downgrade my 5.x DSM and I rmember I had to edit this file to be able to install earlier version of *pat file.

If any one is more familiar with this and you think it would take you few minutes to generate working synoboot.img or at least ramdisk.lzma for DSM_DS3615xs_7321.pat I would much appreciate it.

I don't think it will work as the loader or more precisely speaking the patch/hack that Jun developed targets DSM 6.0.2 Beta 7274 source code. The code was updated on 7321 so the patch is more likely not to work on that version. Basically you would need to look into the source code of 7321, but then again it's not available. Better wait DSM 6.1 source code which Synology has said would release "soon". We all know what that means though.

You could ask Jun directly for more details but don't get your hopes high as he hasn't been active in the forum for quite some time now.

I don't think it will work as the loader or more precisely speaking the patch/hack that Jun developed targets DSM 6.0.2 Beta 7274 source code. The code was updated on 7321 so the patch is more likely not to work on that version. Basically you would need to look into the source code of 7321, but then again it's not available. Better wait DSM 6.1 source code which Synology has said would release "soon". We all know what that means though.

You could ask Jun directly for more details but don't get your hopes high as he hasn't been active in the forum for quite some time now.

Yeah I will wait for the new source release so the VitualBox can be updated, no point going backwards, also don't want to waste Jun's time. Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated!

Running on a N54L and I'm going to update to 6.0 but I'm still on 5.0. Which version of 5.2 do I need to upgrade to first - any of them?

It's been a while since my last upgrade (4.3 - 5.0), so I can't remember if it loses config/settings for packages (specifically Couch Potato, SABnzdb, Sickbeard and Plex), will any get lost between 5.0 - 5.2 - 6.0 ?

Thanks