XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

The HDD's which are connected to the onboard SATA ports, were recognized correctly. I have 4 onboard ports and 8 ports on my SAS controller. The SataPortMap should be in this case "=68" is that right?

EDIT: Change the SataPortMap to 68 didnt help, my SAS3 controller still wont be recognized. All other drives are visible in the disk manager.

EDIT2: I tried the following SataPortMaps so far: 88, 68, 628, 98, 6218, but the only disk which are always recognized are the 3 SATA HDD's and the M2.SSD on the internal controller. Is there a possibility to check if its driver problem or a problem with SataPortMap?

I m running a GA-Z170N-WIFI which has 6 Sata Ports, 2 Sata Express and 1 M2.SSD. I connected 3 disks to the internal Sata controller and 1 M2.SSD. On the 8Port SAS controller are 6 disks connected.

Did you check the included modules/drivers in the loader? They are stated in the tutorial.

You have 6 sata ports on first controller, 1 on second and 8 on third. So you can try SataPortMap =618. Or perhaps the m.2 slot is also on first controller, then you can enter SataPortMap 78.BTW, as far as I know, the ds3615 can supports only 12 hdd, so you can try 615 or 75. Search the forum, there is a way to use more than 12 drives.

To everyone:

I recommend not to update to update 9. Some people are experiencing issues. A hard reboot may fix the problem in some instances but this does not seem to fix the issue for everyone, so stay on update 8 until further notice. Tutorial has been updated accordingly.

OK, so here is what happened to me with Update 9 .. at least for me, is it's reset the NIC to DHCP.

I had to use Synology Assistant to find the DHCP IP address.. once I did that, was able to get back in and set it back to its static IP address.

Everything was good after that.

I intalled DSM 6 with Jun's loader version and everything is fine except Dsm doen´t detect IDE drives. In dmesg there is nothing about pata driver loaded. I start a Ubuntu live CD and I see that the module that I need is pata_atiixp but I can´t load that module or any similar because does´t exits.

Is there any way to make IDE drives work?

P.D.Thank you very much for the great job

I managed to compile the module from the kernel source but no way. When I try to "insmod" the module i have error about "unknown symbol syno_libata_index_get".

I got tired of waiting for the other loader, and gave this a try.

I have a Asrock C2550D4I, and there was only one snag when installing this.

The network drivers didn't work (nothing after the "Booting the kernel."), but a change in the file like this post https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=57513 suggested worked!

Basically in the grub.cfg file, this section should look like this

function loadinitrd {
       if [ -s $img/$info ]; then
               if [ -n "$has_serial" ]; then
                       terminal_output --remove serial
               fi
               cat $img/$info
                       terminal_output --append serial
               fi
       fi
       if [ -s $img/$extra_initrd ]; then
               initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma
       else
               initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma
       fi
}

And its this like you change

Updated to .9 with no problem.

@Polanskiman

Hello.

I have now tried juns loader but it dosent work for me.

So could you, or anyone, point me to a "how to compile"

I would like to include my NIC Driver (Intel®82575EB), but dont know how at this moment.

Would be awsome to learn the procedure anyway :smile:

Thanks

Don't mean to be condescending here. Compiling drivers requires that you compile them against DSM source code and toolchain. You also might (may or even will) need to debug the driver's source code before compiling as DSM's OS is customised by Synology and sometimes standard drivers that would work fine on other unix flavoured OSes need to be adjusted accordingly to DSM. Then you also need to have the specific hardware for which the driver was compiled for in order to make sure that the module works which in some instances don't because of hardware and software specificities.

So unless you have some coding background I suggest you let those who have the know-how to compile drivers. If you really want to try compiling drivers then search the forum. I think I saw one or two threads on the sort, but those were made by people who clearly have at best basic knowledge on unix. I studied them out of curiosity but soon understood that those who wrote them didn't know much what they were doing. There are other guides but they are never complete to the point where, from a layman's standpoint it can be replicated or fully understood. On Jun's main thread Arcao explains how to compile drivers. You could try that.

You won't find tutorial on how to compile drivers from A to Z that suits your specific scenario because there are multiple variables that need to be considered and compiling needs to be adapted accordingly.

I intalled DSM 6 with Jun's loader version and everything is fine except Dsm doen´t detect IDE drives. In dmesg there is nothing about pata driver loaded. I start a Ubuntu live CD and I see that the module that I need is pata_atiixp but I can´t load that module or any similar because does´t exits.

Is there any way to make IDE drives work?

P.D.Thank you very much for the great job

Not that I know off. Drivers aren't included in Jun's loader.

Edited by Guest

Hey guys,

i am sorry for asking, but i couldn't find the info on the forum. Are the Gigabyte GA-H270N and Intel i5 7500 supported by this bootloader?

Thanks,

jaithn

I wouldn't see why not. What matters is the drivers of your NICs. Make sure they are included in the loader. Look at the tutorial, there is a list of the drivers that were compiled.

EDIT: See below. someone already installed DSM on that same machine. So it seems you are good to go.

Hey guys,

i am sorry for asking, but i couldn't find the info on the forum. Are the Gigabyte GA-H270N and Intel i5 7500 supported by this bootloader?

Thanks,

jaithn

Check out my signature at the bottom - this equipment works.

MB:Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI CPU:Intel® Core™ i3-7100 RAM:DDR4 8Gb HDD:6x6Gb WDC WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 (RAID 5)

LOADER:DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01 BOOT USB 2.0:SanDisk 8Gb DSM:6.0.2 build 8451Update 8 Case:Fractal Design Node 304

Bear said:
I got tired of waiting for the other loader, and gave this a try.

I have a Asrock C2550D4I, and there was only one snag when installing this.

The network drivers didn't work (nothing after the "Booting the kernel."), but a change in the file like this post https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=57513 suggested worked!

Basically in the grub.cfg file, this section should look like this

function loadinitrd {
       if [ -s $img/$info ]; then
                       terminal_output --remove serial
               fi
               cat $img/$info
                       terminal_output --append serial
               fi
       fi
       if [ -s $img/$extra_initrd ]; then
       else
               initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma
       fi
}

And its this like you change

Updated to .9 with no problem.

Your LAN controllers are i210 and the drivers are already included in the loader. I had explained how to load those drivers a few pages back >>> https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=62021

polanskiman said:
In the gub file change the following line:

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

To:

Then try installing again.

Hi there...

Is there any issues with migrating from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 with my setup:

DSM Version: DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5

Hardware:

HP Micro Server Gen8 with 1610 Celeron

16GB DDR

4 x WD Red 3TB in SHD

No one can answer?

Have you searched the thread and forum? There are plenty of people who have migrated with gen8. There are even specific threads about gen 8 where people share their experiences.

I have a new problem with this loader. Udev doesn't detect any printer. I can´t see my printers in dmesg and control panel... Usblp module is loaded but the printer still doesn´t appear.

With xpenoboot-5.2 the printers were detected so the problem isn't in the printers.

Anyone have the same problem?

Hi there...

Is there any issues with migrating from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 with my setup:

DSM Version: DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5

Hardware:

HP Micro Server Gen8 with 1610 Celeron

16GB DDR

4 x WD Red 3TB in SHD

For me, everything is working.

Just now I was upgrade HP Gen8 (i3-3320T, 4GB RAM, 4x3TB WD RED) and HP G7 N40L (4GB RAM, 3x1TB).

Can someone please help me.

I am trying to upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0.

I have created boot usb stick and now after chosing option 1 when booting from usb I get a reboot every time after loading kernel?

Maybe you have AMD platform ? Write something about your config.

Can someone please help me.

I am trying to upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0.

I have created boot usb stick and now after chosing option 1 when booting from usb I get a reboot every time after loading kernel?

Maybe you have AMD platform ? Write something about your config.

mbo is Gigabyte G31M-ES2C, F8 Bios

CPU Intel Celeron 430

I dont have AHCI mode in bios, but I have enhanched, combined, auto and non-combined.

Lan card is added in PCI slot and is supported.

I have found out why does not work. My sata controller is ICH7 not ICH7R, and does not support AHCI :sad:

I thought that enchanced mode is AHCI.

Hello everybody,

thank a lot for the tutorial. It worked!

One question though, DSM Info shows as a Prozessor "INTEL Core i3-4130 with 2 Prozessors à 3.4 GHz". But I have installed an i5-7500 with 4 Processors à 3.4 GHz. Is this only a mistake in the info-screen or do I need to do something to adjust this?

Thanks,

Jaithn