XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

A_M_303 said:
Polanskiman said:
A_M_303 said:
Thanks for the guide Polankisman, I have a baremetal install on my n54l.

I have an old broken DS411j and want to change the SN/MAC on XPE to get quickconnect and other apps to work. I tried reading different guides on here but can't work it out so would really appreciate some help with that please. :smile:

I know it's frowned upon but I have a genuine synology box which is not working.

Thanks

My view on the QC topic and those owning a genuine Synology box:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6615-quickconnect-banningblock/?do=findComment&comment=60255

I wont answer any questions relating on how to rape Synology. Sorry.

Thanks for taking time to answer my question. Is there an alternative way to access XPE remotely without QC?

If you have a fixed IP then you're golden.

If you don't have a fixed IP there is still a very easy way. Setting up a DyDNS. Synology actually makes it convenient for you. I wrote a short how-to but it's in french. It shouldn't be very complicated for you to follow as I have included pictures for each step: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6367-tuto-installermigrer-dsm-52-à-602-loader-jun/?do=findComment&comment=57751

If you can't follow the how-to there is a gazillion of forums explaining how to achieve that. You can start with Synology's forum.

Which ever way you go don't forget to open the required ports in DSM's firewall and also configure port forwarding in your router. Personally I advice against opening more than the DSM Management UI service (5000 and 5001 or whatever port you changed those to). You can then set up a VPN and have access to all other services. The only reason for opening more than those ports is if you understand exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. Otherwise you will expose your NAS to the world unnecessarily.

Hi!

The other day tried to install (update) my NAS to version 6.0.2.

But while loading and selecting the Force Install.

The Assistant not see the NAS.

You mentioned before that it is possible, when there is no network card drivers.

And offer to write a letter with a request to add the drivers ...

Please add to the kernel at boot time drivers for the network card:

1. - PCIE Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s

- Atheros[emoji768] AR8151

2. tp-link TF-3239DL

- Realtek RTL8139DI

I would be very happy, if all turn out and a new boot loader can be downloaded in the near future.

Thank you for previously, tajson ...

Sorry but I do not compile modules for others. Not sure where you read that. You will need to wait for a newer version to come out.

Hello!

Collect kernel for themselves and give all of us to work! :twisted:

And I read it here:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. In doubt, just ask.

Or do I not understand you ???

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. In doubt, just ask.

Or do I not understand you ???

Ask if you have a problem yes. But nowhere I say I will compile drivers.

For your problem unless someone decides to compile those drivers I guess you are stuck.

The USB pen must also be a USB 2

Its an internal usb port and the hp microserver has only usb2 :/

I'm using a USB 3.0 flash drive on my N40L internal USB 2.0 port without issues.

The usb drive doesn't NEED to be USB 2. USB 3 drives will also work although I think it's just a waste of resources. The port however is recommended to be USB 2 as some motherboards are unable to boot from USB 3 ports.

I welcome!

The same trouble, only with cards: Intel i210 and Realtek RTL8211E.

Too he would be grateful.

i210 is already included in the loader.

In the gub file change the following line:

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

To:

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma

Then try installing again.

Hello! Thanks is more! Everything works!

If at someone a problem with detection of the device - try such option with replacement in the file. Helped me.

I think I once read that you should use a serial number and MAC address of an original Synology.

I don't think there is a DSM check on an existing/legit serialnumber. Is there?

Anyway, I just used the same serial as my previous XPEnology, DSM 5.2 installation. And updated the whole lot.

Ok, you have some extra function when you use a mac and serial of a original Synology. WakeOnLAn and QuickConnect. Correct me if im wrong :wink: .

Hi all,

I tried the migration from my 5.2 version to 6.

My setup :

HP Microserver Gen8 G1610T

IBM M1015 RAID card crossflashed in IT mode

4 disks connected on the case HP backplane and connected to micro sas port 1 of the card (card got two ports : 0 and 1).

Following the tutorial I was able to do a fresh install, using a dummy 1TB drive on port 0 of the card and all the rest disconnected.

However, when I try to boot using the same loader but using my actual 5.2 drives I get this error : find.synology.com finds my machine, it's "migration able" but when I get to the part where I should either provide my own firmware file or download the latest... it doesn't work.

Provinding the file I get a "corrupted file error", downloading the latest one (as I've done for the fresh install) I get a "unable to download..." error.

Any idea ?

Hi all,

However, when I try to boot using the same loader but using my actual 5.2 drives I get this error : find.synology.com finds my machine, it's "migration able" but when I get to the part where I should either provide my own firmware file or download the latest... it doesn't work.

Provinding the file I get a "corrupted file error", downloading the latest one (as I've done for the fresh install) I get a "unable to download..." error.

Any idea ?

Hi!

At me same was because I was mistaken entering vid and pid of the USB stick.

But if you could establish on 1 TB, then something else is possible.

Perhaps installation from scratch "happened", but migration because of incorrect vid and pid doesn't take place.

PID is Product ID and VID is Vendor ID ? Is it ?

Yes.

Can I call those parameters from the line command thing on the loader ? I'm 99% sure I entered them right but I want to make sure they are actually changed (because it doesn't provide any confirmation when pressing enter).

How to look - I don't know. I suffered with it initially. I directly on the new USB stick in NAS of moneychangers before migration, and was loaded then from it nothing without entering. In a different way at me didn't quit on it to change these values.

But phrase: I received "corrupted file error" when I had not correct pid and vid.

The HDD's which are connected to the onboard SATA ports, were recognized correctly. I have 4 onboard ports and 8 ports on my SAS controller. The SataPortMap should be in this case "=68" is that right?

EDIT: Change the SataPortMap to 68 didnt help, my SAS3 controller still wont be recognized. All other drives are visible in the disk manager.

EDIT2: I tried the following SataPortMaps so far: 88, 68, 628, 98, 6218, but the only disk which are always recognized are the 3 SATA HDD's and the M2.SSD on the internal controller. Is there a possibility to check if its driver problem or a problem with SataPortMap?

I m running a GA-Z170N-WIFI which has 6 Sata Ports, 2 Sata Express and 1 M2.SSD. I connected 3 disks to the internal Sata controller and 1 M2.SSD. On the 8Port SAS controller are 6 disks connected.

I think I once read that you should use a serial number and MAC address of an original Synology.

I don't think there is a DSM check on an existing/legit serialnumber. Is there?

Anyway, I just used the same serial as my previous XPEnology, DSM 5.2 installation. And updated the whole lot.

Ok, you have some extra function when you use a mac and serial of a original Synology. WakeOnLAn and QuickConnect. Correct me if im wrong :wink: .

Wrong. You can have WOL without the need to rape Synology.

As for connecting from the outside use a DyDNS instead of QuickConnect. It's the same thing and you wont be flagged as trying to abuse Synology's services.

Edited by Guest

Can I call those parameters from the line command thing on the loader ? I'm 99% sure I entered them right but I want to make sure they are actually changed (because it doesn't provide any confirmation when pressing enter).

If you changed them in the grub file then they will be in the grub file. If you can changed them through grub as explained in the tutorial you will see the vid/pid in the grubenv file located in the same directory as the grub.cfg file. You can open it with a text editor and check the vid/pid are correct.

The HDD's which are connected to the onboard SATA ports, were recognized correctly. I have 4 onboard ports and 8 ports on my SAS controller. The SataPortMap should be in this case "=68" is that right?

EDIT: Change the SataPortMap to 68 didnt help, my SAS3 controller still wont be recognized. All other drives are visible in the disk manager.

EDIT2: I tried the following SataPortMaps so far: 88, 68, 628, 98, 6218, but the only disk which are always recognized are the 3 SATA HDD's and the M2.SSD on the internal controller. Is there a possibility to check if its driver problem or a problem with SataPortMap?

I m running a GA-Z170N-WIFI which has 6 Sata Ports, 2 Sata Express and 1 M2.SSD. I connected 3 disks to the internal Sata controller and 1 M2.SSD. On the 8Port SAS controller are 6 disks connected.

Did you check the included modules/drivers in the loader? They are stated in the tutorial.

Hi there,

Firstly I'd like to thank Jun and all the developers who made DSM 6 possible. I can't appreciate more for that.

Secondly thank you OP for this awesome tutorial helping noobs like me complete the upgrade.

But now I have a problem with the upgrade:

I had a lot of packages installed including Directory Server on DSM 5.2. After the upgrade, everything else works fine, such as VPN server, DNS and etc.

Directory Server just wouldn't run.

I've tried so far:

1, uninstall and reinstall it from Package Center. The service didn't start and gave error: "Failed to run the package service."

2, tried to manually install and got error "The package is not supported on the diskstation".

3, sudo cat /var/log/message, but nothing useful.

Can someone help me with this? Thanks a lot!

But phrase: I received "corrupted file error" when I had not correct pid and vid.

It was a matter of PID and VID indeed.

I've redone the usb key, this time editing the grub file in Notepad++ rather than in the command line interface of the loader. And it worked.

Si far so good I've migrated my storage to DSM6. Thanks! And thanks all for all the great work.

What happens if you ssh in and run the start script manually? might give you some more feedback?

Thanks for the reminder.

I tried "/usr/sbin/slapd -d 1" then realized there were some old data in "/usr/syno/openldap/", which was causing problem.

After I removed it, everything works fine now!

I intalled DSM 6 with Jun's loader version and everything is fine except Dsm doen´t detect IDE drives. In dmesg there is nothing about pata driver loaded. I start a Ubuntu live CD and I see that the module that I need is pata_atiixp but I can´t load that module or any similar because does´t exits.

Is there any way to make IDE drives work?

P.D.Thank you very much for the great job