XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I have a DS1815+ configured to auto update and its currently running DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 8 according to Control Panel > Info Center > General

The XPEnology box is just listed as DSM 6.0.2-8451 with no indication of updates at all. Currently its going through a parity consistency check which is going very slowly (days) and is only at about ~75%. Perhaps I should try again when (if) parity consistency check goes to completion. I'm using the Jun loader.

My only other thought is to do an upgrade using the loader with the latest .pat file or do the same but try switching loaders. Unfortunately I don't see availability of any other loaders at the moment even if they are very similar.

I don't think there is a problem with update 7 or update 8 though.

Parity check can take several days depending on the quantity of data, the speed of the drive you have and if there are other processes running on the OS at the same time. After it finishes just try to update to update 8. If that doesn't work then you can try a reinstall.

I have a DS1815+ configured to auto update and its currently running DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 8 according to Control Panel > Info Center > General

The XPEnology box is just listed as DSM 6.0.2-8451 with no indication of updates at all. Currently its going through a parity consistency check which is going very slowly (days) and is only at about ~75%. Perhaps I should try again when (if) parity consistency check goes to completion. I'm using the Jun loader.

My only other thought is to do an upgrade using the loader with the latest .pat file or do the same but try switching loaders. Unfortunately I don't see availability of any other loaders at the moment even if they are very similar.

Parity check can take several days depending on the quantity of data, the speed of the drive you have and if there are other processes running on the OS at the same time. After it finishes just try to update to update 8. If that doesn't work then you can try a reinstall.

Thanks for the suggestion. With any luck the parity consistency check will conclude tomorrow and I can attempt to install update 8.

To all the "corrupt file" ESXi users:

My JUN boot loader is a VMDK file (SATA) since I uploaded the whole thing from a workstation desktop machine to my server. I noticed this 50mb loader image was set to "dependent". Changed it to "independent - persistent" in ESXi WebUI ("disk mode") and the update worked just fine.

Version: 6.0.2-8451-9

(2017/01/18)

Important Note

The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.

This update will restart your Synology NAS.

Fixed Issues

Enhanced the stability of Btrfs file system after an abnormal shutdown.

Enhanced the stability of iSCSI service.

Enhanced system stability when connecting via the SMB protocol.

Enhanced the stability of Synology E10G15-F1.

Fixed a security vulnerability regarding PHPMailer (CVE-2017-5223). Upgrading Photo Station to version 6.6.3 or above is required.

Little update:

The parity consistency check finally went to completion. Unfortunately updates would still not install. I shutdown the NAS to check the loader which is on an SD card connected to a USB adapter. Everything looked OK but the NAS wouldn't boot after that. The GNU GRUB menu would'nt show up seemingly hanging on a blank screen with blinking prompt. I eventually came to the conclusion that something was likely wrong with one of the HDD's. I had two volumes neither of which had anything but test data on it so I chose to remove all the drives for volume 2 and the system started to boot properly after that. Volume 2 consisted of 2x 4TB WD Red drives and 1x 3TB WD Green. I suspect the green drive was the cause of the boot issue and oddly enough the cause of the update issue.

After removing it and starting the NAS again I was able to upgrade to update 9 without issue!!!

Edit:

So right now I created volume 2 again this time consisting only of 2x4TB WD Red drives (volume 1 consists of 1x 2TB WD Red) and it is currently going through what will undoubtedly be a lengthy parity consistency check. I think the one remaining issue is that any attempt to create a Btrfs volume results in an instant crash of said volume. I thought updating DSM might correct that issue.

i upgraded to Version: 6.0.2-8451-9

and it breaks my installation.

any tips? help?

thanks

Same here. I powered off the system hours after starting the installation. GUI just wouldn't come up.

After reboot the system does come back on.

Info Center

o4BhtPl.png

update: i was on v1.0 upgrade to 1.01 and now everything is working again.

Little update:

The parity consistency check finally went to completion. Unfortunately updates would still not install. I shutdown the NAS to check the loader which is on an SD card connected to a USB adapter. Everything looked OK but the NAS wouldn't boot after that. The GNU GRUB menu would'nt show up seemingly hanging on a blank screen with blinking prompt. I eventually came to the conclusion that something was likely wrong with one of the HDD's. I had two volumes neither of which had anything but test data on it so I chose to remove all the drives for volume 2 and the system started to boot properly after that. Volume 2 consisted of 2x 4TB WD Red drives and 1x 3TB WD Green. I suspect the green drive was the cause of the boot issue and oddly enough the cause of the update issue.

After removing it and starting the NAS again I was able to upgrade to update 9 without issue!!!

Edit:

So right now I created volume 2 again this time consisting only of 2x4TB WD Red drives (volume 1 consists of 1x 2TB WD Red) and it is currently going through what will undoubtedly be a lengthy parity consistency check. I think the one remaining issue is that any attempt to create a Btrfs volume results in an instant crash of said volume. I thought updating DSM might correct that issue.

Btrfs is supposed to work with Jun's loader but not with quicknick's loader. If you are posting in this thread logically you are using jun's loader so I am not sure what is going on.

Try removing all volumes and re-recreating one with btrfs. For the sake of testing I would also wipe all disks clean, format them using ext3/4 and reinstall DSM 6 making sure the faulty drive is not in the machine.

To everyone:

I recommend not to update to update 9. Some people are experiencing issues. A hard reboot may fix the problem in some instances but this does not seem to fix the issue for everyone, so stay on update 8 until further notice. Tutorial has been updated accordingly.

Edited by Guest

To everyone:

I recommend not to update to update 9. Some people are experiencing issues. A hard reboot may fix the problem in some instances but this does not seem to fix the issue for everyone, so stay on update 8 until further notice. Tutorial has been updated accordingly.

Too late for me,wont come up again not even after reboot.

With me i think the problem is the nic doesn't work anymore after the update

Will set it up again from scratch.

Running on amd bare metal.

To everyone:

Can you try booting and selecting the AMD install entry line?

Mine was succesfully updated to 9. Just booted it again without errors.

To give more details about my setup, to help troubleshooting, here are my specifications:

Bare metal installation,

Jun's official v.1.01 loader

Motherboard specs:

• type: ASUS AT5NM10T-I
  • ATOM D525 CPU onboard,
  • Intel NM10 Express Chipset,
  • 2x SO-DIMM, DDR3 800,
  • Realtek 8111E LAN

Edited by Guest

Mine was succesfully updated to 9. Just booted it again without errors.

To give more details about my setup, to help troubleshooting, here are my specifications:

Bare metal installation,

Motherboard specs:

• type: ASUS AT5NM10T-I
  • ATOM D525 CPU onboard,
  • Intel NM10 Express Chipset,
  • 2x SO-DIMM, DDR3 800,
  • Realtek 8111E LAN

Loader version?

This might be a stupid question but I used to run DSM 5.1 on my HP N54L before it crached. I then tried to install 6.0 I think but I got some problem where every time I rebooted the server it stoped working and I had to reinstall again.

Can I install this from scratch ? If so whats steps do I need to take? Do I need to install 5.2 before I follow the steps in the first post or can I install 6.0 directly?

Hi all,

1st, BIG thanks for great work you all done,

I have just updated my DSM to 6.0.2-8451 Update 9.

had some issues to boot up, but now it is all fine.

Strange behavior when DSM is rebooted, not every time the system responds on its IP address, if on any.(static IP changed to DHCP)

Hard restart of server and all is online again.

my setup

Bare metal install

HP microserver gen8

Intel Celeron G1610T

4Gb ram 1066MHz

2x3TB, 3x1TB

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9

Jun's loader v.1.01

To everyone:

Can you try booting and selecting the AMD install entry line?

Tried that as well,no luck,nic is working though

Where to go from here?

Update:made a new boot usb but no luck,can't find it through findsynology.com or assistant so what has gone wrong?

Trying again, in hope of someone will respond.

My setup:

HPE PL MicroServer G8

Broadcom BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet

B120i RAID controller

Running:

ESXi 6.5 build 4564106

DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5

How to update my DSM to DSM 6.0-8451 ? EDIT: 6.0.2-8451-9 if possible

Thanks,