XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

bmx30th said:
Hi All,

First of all, I really appreciate the community effort on such great project and especially the dedicated devs.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

That being said, I was able to get thru the initial installation process (bare metal) :

-setup of the USB key was done for the VID/PID

-also generated a serial and MAC pair at quickconnector.orgfree.com

-the device is found with find.synology.com and the synology assistant

-note: I had to choose Force Install otherwise an error did not allow to proceed

-everything seemed fine until restart, I've made sure to select the first line in the loader because of previous Force Install selection.

Then after restart, nothing happens. Even find.synology.com or the assistant does not detect the device anymore. I have to wipe the drive with ubuntu live before starting again.

Some things to try:

-maybe i should try the SataPortMap option to specify drive count (for me would be "=1", a single drive for testing now...) instead of the Force Install ?

-the board is a AsRock H97M-ITX/ac ..wonder if it's an hardware issue. I'll check if I can find another board.

..is there something obvious that I've missed here?

Even i was not able to get synology nas detected via syno assistant. Then I enabled dhcp on my router and there I got the ip address assigned to nas. Then i browsed to same IP then able to access it for updates.

Try this it may work.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it does not fix the issue.

Actually it is detected before install and that's why I'm able to install completely. It only disapear after the restart. Also, I tried both, with DHCP and with static ip, it's really the same result.

One thing weird is that I have another xpenology on the same network and it appears too during install, but when the problem occurs on restart, nothing at all is found on find.synology.com.

I've also tried with a GA-Z97N-WIFI and it works too. I'm tempted to use it since it has 6 sata and 2 eth.

hi all,

i'm on XPenology 6 thanks to the old VM (with DSM 6.0.1 from oktisme here) inside ESXi 6 on a Microserver G8.

I've seen that there's are now a few alternatives (DSM 6.0.2 loader by jun or bootloader 2.2/2.3 -soon- by quicknick)

what would you advice as best solution to use?

what's the best path to switch to this bootloader (I think the patched kernel in my VM doesn't support newest version of DSM right?)?

make a new VM with this bootloader and then add my 2 RDM to it and then upgrade DSM?

thanks for suggestions!!

I just want to say a big thank you for this thread.

Updated a N36L (AMD) with two 4TB HDD up to 6.0.2 update 7 with all packages now updated too.

Looks like it was a success :grin:

Being a leecher, just registered to say thanks too! N36L (AMD) with two 0.5TB HDD up to 6.0.2 update 7, all packages now updated too.

Changed the PID, VID, SN en MAC as well as the AMD default="3" in grub.cfg on the USB after the dd to /dev/sdc.

It didn't seem to function, as it still defaulted to 0, as where the AMD is 3 imho?

Hooked up a keyboard and a monitor, manually selected the AMD boot option, booted, installed, miraculously, after the first reboot grub was updated on the USB?

Anyway, got a working 6.0.2 update 7 now!

I have no sata drives and only external usb 3 hard drives. Is it possible to make the synology software think that the external usb is the sata drive so that it can put the software on the external hard drive? I am looking through the forums and see something about changing the info.cfg for usb and sata but I am not sure where else to look.

Updated a N36L (AMD) with two 4TB HDD up to 6.0.2 update 7 with all packages now updated too.

Being a leecher, just registered to say thanks too! N36L (AMD) with two 0.5TB HDD up to 6.0.2 update 7, all packages now updated too.

Changed the PID, VID, SN en MAC as well as the AMD default="3" in grub.cfg on the USB after the dd to /dev/sdc.

It didn't seem to function, as it still defaulted to 0, as where the AMD is 3 imho?

Hooked up a keyboard and a monitor, manually selected the AMD boot option, booted, installed, miraculously, after the first reboot grub was updated on the USB?

Did you alter the default Sata mapping in grub file? If yes, to what?

I followed the instructions by the OP, and got DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update (4 or 5 , can't remember) installed from SCRATCH and working on baremetal HP Proliant microserver ML10v2 . (No esxi installed)

I installed 2x 8tb NAS drives and set them up in RAID using the DSM onboard raid tools

I had to disable raid in the BIOS of the motherboard, and set the B120i as only AHCI.

NOthing particularly tricky in getting the above going.

HOWEVER< I did struggle with getting Plex working in a docker. There were random permission issues for shared drives, and also some issues with Ports that PLEX needs, but other apps on Synology were already using. Once they were fixed, I was able to get Plex working perfectly too. I then connected my Max OSx formatted 3tb drives to a external USB interface, and have managed to copy all my files across to the raid array.

I have an 8tb archive drive currently set up as a USB external drive for backups of important files.

I have also carried out an upgrade to Update 7, and it worked perfectly.

No issues at all.

I will soon be trying the instructions in https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/4242-hp-microserver-gen8-and-hp-ams/ for setting up proper HP AMS for HP ILO to get information from the drives.

Tags: ML10 ML10v2

After the first cheers some follow up:

Grub seems to remember last booted entry, that's probably why this now works.

After logging in with ssh and looking thru the /var/log/*/log files some errors showed up:

Some related to postgresql, some to synoindex.

Fixed with the help of this forum!

Updated to Update 8. All seems OK!

I was able to install DSM 6.0.2-8451 without issue. This was after doing the requisite reading in this and other threads. In other words I understand the need for due diligence and doing ones homework before asking for assistance. I also am very appreciative of the work and effort that went into the tools / tutorials that expedite the process for the less initiated (of which I am one).

Unfortunately, after some research, I am still unclear on the proper procedure to upgrade my DSM 6.0.2-8451 install. I've tried a few different methods to upgrade to update 7 (and now update 8) but none have gone to completion.

After downloading the latest DS3615xs.pat file from Synology to my PC attempting to upgrade the XPEnology 6 install from said file simply does nothing when using the manual option within DMS 6. Allowing the XPEnology 6 NAS box to automatically download the update will initiate the install but even if it displays 100% completion it eventually displays the following error:

Fail to update the file. The file is probably corrupt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Oct.

I have a Gen7 N54L and it runs happily on DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 7 thanks to this thread.

Emboldened by Vodka2014 (thanks!) I tried to update to Update 8 but although it runs to completion at 100% it then comes up with a 'Failed to update the file. The file is probably corrupt.' message and reverts to update 7.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this update, but I hope the information is of some help at least!

I've also got a Gen7 N54L and now did the update from 'update 7' to 'update 8' which was successful. All data on volumes still present.

I tried earlier today on a Synology DS415+ to go from u7 to u8 and it didn't work and stayed on update 7. i'll try again tomorrow, so maybe just a bad download like above

I have a Gen7 N54L and it runs happily on DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 7 thanks to this thread.

Emboldened by Vodka2014 (thanks!) I tried to update to Update 8 but although it runs to completion at 100% it then comes up with a 'Failed to update the file. The file is probably corrupt.' message and reverts to update 7.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this update, but I hope the information is of some help at least!

Same here. Any solutions yet?

Same here. Any solutions yet?

No, but there doesn't seem anything critical in update 8- but I suppose subsequent updates may well contain something important.

Since Krnage succeeded it is clearly possible to apply the update. I tried a couple of downloads without any joy so presumably it fails some sort of check of the existing software.

As it appears to do no harm attempting the update it should be possible to try a couple of ideas without risk...

The loader will use the last selection made by the user thus using default="3" is not necessary and in fact doesn't work because there is a bug in the code. Anyways you are good now so no need to worry.

Edited by Guest

Im running with Jun´s loader and it works perfectly. I just wanted to know what the difference between Jun´s loader and XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451? Is it worth changing over to this new loader? Isn't base on Jun´s loader?

If it's working for you and you don't have any particular problem or device not working then no need to change. Quicknick's loader uses the same approach for patching the kernel. The + is the additional tool he included to make the install / upgrade process easier. He also included more drivers in the package. The loader is temporarily offline though so don't sweat it.

I have a DS1815+ configured to auto update and its currently running DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 8 according to Control Panel > Info Center > General

The XPEnology box is just listed as DSM 6.0.2-8451 with no indication of updates at all. Currently its going through a parity consistency check which is going very slowly (days) and is only at about ~75%. Perhaps I should try again when (if) parity consistency check goes to completion. I'm using the Jun loader.

My only other thought is to do an upgrade using the loader with the latest .pat file or do the same but try switching loaders. Unfortunately I don't see availability of any other loaders at the moment even if they are very similar.

I don't think there is a problem with update 7 or update 8 though.

Edited by Guest