XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

First off, thanks to Jun, Polanskiman and all who have contributed to this. Its appreciated by someone who does not have the skills to achieve this for myself!

I have had DSM 5.2 running fine on an N54L / 2x2TB disks booting from a USB stick for some time.

I have followed the migrate procedure which works fine up to the “Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted . (13)”

I’ve double checked that I have changed the PID and VIDs correctly – I’ve tried it with a couple of differnet USB sticks including one identical to the one used for the (still working) earlier version 5.2.

I’ve since trawled this thread and Jun’s new loader thread to see if anyone else had encountered the same issue. Nothing found.

I’m therefore working on the assumption I have missed something obvious- but I can’t for the life of me see what- has anyone been here before or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

First off, thanks to Jun, Polanskiman and all who have contributed to this. Its appreciated by someone who does not have the skills to achieve this for myself!

I have had DSM 5.2 running fine on an N54L / 2x2TB disks booting from a USB stick for some time.

I have followed the migrate procedure which works fine up to the “Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted . (13)”

I’ve double checked that I have changed the PID and VIDs correctly – I’ve tried it with a couple of differnet USB sticks including one identical to the one used for the (still working) earlier version 5.2.

I’ve since trawled this thread and Jun’s new loader thread to see if anyone else had encountered the same issue. Nothing found.

I’m therefore working on the assumption I have missed something obvious- but I can’t for the life of me see what- has anyone been here before or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Check vid/pid again. Try re-downloading the pat file too.

Thanks, I've checked and rechecked the VID/PID several times but I haven't tried reloading the Pat file so I'll give it a go and report back...

And having doublechecked the VID/PID again and tried 3 downloads of the PAT file, exactly the same I'm afraid..... I'm off to find yet another USB stick just in case but, to be honest, I'm not too hopeful that is the cause.

Polanskiman said:
kraized said:
Hi all,

I need your help. I'm was running Jun's loader with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6 on my HPE Microserver Gen8 Baremetal. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday when DSM auto-upgraded to the beta version of DSM – DSM 6.1-14871. Not sure how, as i thought beta versions had to be installed manually. Unfortunately, the system won't boot now (I'm guessing because the bootloader is still DSM 6.0.2-8451) but get's stuck in a 'Recoverable' state.

I can find the DS on my network, though it seems the settings have returned to default via DHCP, whereas before I had two static IP addresses assigned. The DS has still retained its custom serial and MAC addresses however. FWIW, I can see the DS via both browser and the Synology Assistant app. All show the same 'Recoverable' state.

If there is a way to get this back up and running on DSM 6.0.2-8451, what would be the best? I'm unsure where to go from here. :sad:

If you have ssh access or serial consol access you could try this https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/5442-downgrade-from-dsm-60/ adapting it to your case (6.1 > 6.0.2).

If you can't access through consol/ssh then you will need a ubuntu live USB to access the content of the system partition and modify the VERSION file manually (as explained in the above link) that is located in /etc.defaults. You can edit it with vi or nano if you had the later installed.

If you use live ubuntu you will need to install mdadm and lvm2:

apt-get install mdadm lvm2

Then you need to check your raid array and partitioning:

fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd

Mine gives this. Note I only have 2 drives /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

[spoiler=]

root@server:/etc.defaults# fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd
Disk /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
/dev/sda1           256    4980735    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2       4980736    9175039    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3       9437184 3907015007 3897577824  1.8T  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5       9453280 3907015007 3897561728  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
/dev/sdb1           256    4980735    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb2       4980736    9175039    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb3       9437184 3907015007 3897577824  1.8T  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5       9453280 3907015007 3897561728  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect

System partitions are the ones labeled sda1, sdb1. If you have more drives in the aray, subsequent system partitions will probably be called sdc1, sdd1 so on and so forth. You get the point.

Once you figured out all system partitions, then issue (this is for my case, with 2 drives):

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

if you have 3 drives then you add /dev/sdc1. You get the idea.

Finally issue:

mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

Same as previous command. Add any additional system partitions that you may have. Beware of the /dev/md0. It's normal, not a mistake.

Your system partition should now be mounted and you can navigated to /etc.defaults and edit the VERSION file as explained in the link above.

If you want to have access to the data partition instead to recover and backup all your data, simply issue:

mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay

This should mount the data partitions.

I can't guarantee that modifying the VERSION file will work no matter what path you use. Therefore I wont be able to support beyond this.

Good luck.

Hello, many thanks for you advice. I managed to edit the VERSION file on /etc.defaults, using an Ubuntu book disk, however for some reason I cannot see the server on my network after a reboot. I'm thinking the network drivers are not getting initialized now though I'm not sure why editing the VERSION file would cause network failure, as before, I could see the server on my network. :???: Any ideas?

On 12/27/2016 at 4:17 AM, kraized said:

Hello, many thanks for you advice. I managed to edit the VERSION file on /etc.defaults, using an Ubuntu book disk, however for some reason I cannot see the server on my network after a reboot. I'm thinking the network drivers are not getting initialized now though I'm not sure why editing the VERSION file would cause network failure, as before, I could see the server on my network. :???: Any ideas?

Try rebooting the router then the NAS. Not sure if you changed flash drives or MAC addresse in the meantime.

Hi all,

Try rebooting the router then the NAS. Not sure if you changed flash drives or MAC addresse in the meantime.

Managed to get the server up and running again. It seemed to only work with networking if I selected either the Reinstall or Force Install option in Jun's boot menu. I tried the Migration option at first but it seemed to cause a few issues so went for a Clean Install instead. All data, volumes, shares etc are intact, just packages and settings needing a full reinstall. Seems to be booting normally now and updated to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7 without any issues.

Many thanks for everybody's help. :grin:

I'd also like to say thanks to Jun, Polanskiman and all who contributed. I found this tutorial simple and easy to follow and without these efforts I wouldn't have any option other then to go with a different solution. While I do have a Synology DS1815+ it's also great to experiment with XPEnology and DSM 6 is the best so far.

I have some minor issues like one of my motherboard's controllers (Asus Z97-E / Marvel) doesn't seem to be supported resulting in the loss of two SATA ports. However, I figure I can just add a better controller card that is supported. Also btrfs doesn't work. Attempting to creat a volume with btrfs results in an instant crash of the volume but EX4 works fine. Maybe I need to an update but not sure I have to check the version that is currently running.

Great stuff all around though.

Thanks agin for making this so easy for the less initiated!!!

Thanks, I've checked and rechecked the VID/PID several times but I haven't tried reloading the Pat file so I'll give it a go and report back...

And having doublechecked the VID/PID again and tried 3 downloads of the PAT file, exactly the same I'm afraid..... I'm off to find yet another USB stick just in case but, to be honest, I'm not too hopeful that is the cause.

Well, it all behaves now thank you. Another Usb stick appeared to do the trick, but I can't be absoloutely certain nothing else changed so it could just be co-incidence. Anyway I appreciate the help.

Incidentally, for the benefit of those following the same path, the subsequent upgrade to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7 on my N56L seems to have gone without a hitch.

Hi, I'm stuck in the installation of DSM6.0.2 onto a bare metal HP N54L (4 bay). It has been running 5.1 fine in the past, also, as a test, I could install DSM 6.0.2 onto the device using a 5.1 bootloader. (Of course, then I could not create any volume.) However, following the tutorial I am not able to get the installation html page started. Basically, all goes fine until when the kernel boots, and then my DiskStation is never found in the LAN. I am though able to ping to the DiskStation, so it gets an IP address.

• I'm using Jun v.1.0.1
  • I've changed the VID/PID
  • I've also tested with a generated SN/MAC
  • I've double checked the BIOS and AHCI is enabled
  • When the kernel starts, the device gets an IP address as I am able to ping it

The NIC in my HP G7 N54L is a NC107i Single Port NIC network controller. But I've read in this topic that others have been able to install DSM6.0 successfully in the past, so I suspect the drivers are ok.

Any hints on what I could try next?

Well, it all behaves now thank you. Another Usb stick appeared to do the trick, but I can't be absoloutely certain nothing else changed so it could just be co-incidence. Anyway I appreciate the help.

Incidentally, for the benefit of those following the same path, the subsequent upgrade to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7 on my N56L seems to have gone without a hitch.

Can you tell me what (with 2 SATA disks attached on your N54L) value you used for "SataPortMap=xx"?

Did you set it via the Append command or directly in the .CFG file on the ISO?

Edited by Guest

hansel said:
BillB said:

Can you tell me what (with 2 SATA disks attached on your N54L) value you used for "SataPortMap=xx"?

Did you set it via the Append command or directly in the .CFG file on the ISO?

It didn't arise- I had a working DSM 5.2 and I just used the stock values in the .CFG file:

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

All the setup values copied across from the earlier version without me having to intervene (or really think about them!)

Hope that is of some help.

posting to say I've installed on my N54L using this guide successfully using the AMD install option.

New set of disks and new USB used for DSM 6

N54L previously was DSM 5.1.

Completed install and ran update to get Update 7.

I then plugged disk1 of 2 from my DSM 5.1 and the wizard was back at the beginning to build the DSM 6 OS. Moved disks around as obviously I had old disks in sata port 0/1 and now I'm back to my Update 7 OS.

Storage manager now shows 'system partition failed'

Added disk 2 and started a rebuild with the error clearing once completed and a "Good" healthy system.

All data is still present from DSM 5.1 and the system shows 2 RAID groups which is what I planned for.

I think I got it to atleast where I need to look for the NAS on my network.

When I boot from the USB, it stays at "loading kernel" and right above shows that I need to navigate to the website.

It doesnt find it, and I have the synology assistance, which also doesnt find it.

I highly doubt that the NIC driver isnt in the image, but ill ask anyway.

Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Release Date: 2/10/2006

Version: A018.0.15.0

This is on a Dell E510 that has been running 5.2 for about a year now, and I really want to mess around with 6.0 now.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks.

When I boot from the USB, it stays at "loading kernel" and right above shows that I need to navigate to the website.

It doesnt find it, and I have the synology assistance, which also doesnt find it.

This is on a Dell E510 that has been running 5.2 for about a year now, and I really want to mess around with 6.0 now.

Thanks.

Have a look at the OP. All included drivers are listed.

Got things working on a HP n54l GEN 7 with 4GB RAM and 4 SATA disk bays. Only 2 of them are currently used and have a SATA disk.

-Make sure that the VID/PID/MAC are set correctly

-SataPortMap=2 was the only config that worked for me. Interesting finding, as I had changed the "set default" from 0 to 3, it only worked properly when SataPortMap was correctly set. Otherwise, grub would ignore the option of "set default" and select always 0, where you would expect the 3rd option. So this can be an indication for others that the grub config is correctly or not.

-Server was NOT found using find.synology.com although it was pingable and had an IP. Synology Assistant did find it without problems.

-If the device is discovered with Synology Assistant, yet takes very long to become "Ready", you are likely still having some config issues with grub.cfg

-It did NOT matter which USB port I was using. Also, my USB stick was one I received for marketing purposes, so probably cheap and no decent quality.

In theory, if someone would add to Jun's mod ifconfig to grub, it would be easily possible to tweak the grub.cfg to display the received IP address through DHCP after booting . That binary is currently missing from the image.

Also encountered that once installed, DSM would refuse to create a RAID group with multiple volume support.

Error message:

/var/log/synolog/synosys.log:info       2017/01/01 10:08:42     admin:  System starts to create [RAID Group 1](Device Type is [RAID 1]) with disk [1, 2].
/var/log/synolog/synosys.log:err        2017/01/01 10:08:45     admin:  System failed to create [RAID Group 1](Device Type is [RAID 1]) with disk [1, 2].

/var/log/messages would show this error:

2017-01-01T10:08:44+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29676]: space_create.c:917 [info] Create RAID: /dev/md2, RAID level: 2, device items: 2, spare disk: 0, device type: 2
2017-01-01T10:08:44+01:00 apollo kernel: [78393.959231] This is not a kind of scsi disk 9
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29647]: lvm_pv_create.c:65 Failed to '/sbin/pvcreate -ff -y --metadatasize 512K /dev/md2'
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29647]: space_create.c:435 failed to create LVM: /dev/vg1 ()
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo kernel: [78394.435423] md: md2: set sdb3 to auto_remap [0]
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo kernel: [78394.435426] md: md2: set sda3 to auto_remap [0]
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29737]: raid_remove_multiple.c:75 Remove RAID: /dev/md2
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29737]: raid_remove.c:70 [info] clean RAID superblock of /dev/md2
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29737]: raid_clean_superblock.c:97 [info] Clean RAID superblock on '/dev/sda3'
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29737]: raid_clean_superblock.c:97 [info] Clean RAID superblock on '/dev/sdb3'
2017-01-01T10:08:45+01:00 apollo synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Pool_1_create[29647]: space_lib.cpp:524 failed to create space:

After re-running through the wizard in DSM for 40 times or so, finally did get it to work, but don't really know how. As root from the shell, I was able to create a RAID group by triggering the command: mdadm -C /dev/md2 -z 640000 -amd -l1 -n2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

But this only creates a single RAID Group (without multiple volume support). After a reboot, the RAID group would show into DSM. Deleting can be done by using the raidtool to destroy the RAID group.

As said: eventually, I could create a RAID group with MVS through the wizard and my DSM is running fine now.

Thanks.

I clicked the first one and didnt realize there were 2 others that have more drivers.

I guess Ill just have to find another pc that isnt 10 years old to try DSM 6 on.

Thanks.

I clicked the first one and didnt realize there were 2 others that have more drivers.

I guess Ill just have to find another pc that isnt 10 years old to try DSM 6 on.

Quicknick's loader is coming and have way more drivers included. Have a look a the topic he created. He also lists all included drivers.

I also missed those + signs with the drivers listed in Jun's loader. I'm really puzzled now because he does list my NIC (Intel 82574L). I have verified the MAC address, VID and PID several times and I cannot get his loader to obtain an IP address with my router. Using the same hardware with the DSM 5.2 loader works fine.

Is the documentation correct for the mac1 address? Does it possibly need to be quoted? Is there any debug mode that can be turned on for more output messages?

Hi :

Happy new year to all Xpenologiest :smile:

Thanks to all developers Working on this.

I was managed to connect to NAS and started updating DSM 5.2 to 6.0, But at 62% it failed with error "Failed to upload DSM installation file. Please check the network connection and try again (54)" I have tried this many times but seems its not able to write to SATA disk as HDD LED has not activity for write.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Aniruddha

Hi All,

First of all, I really appreciate the community effort on such great project and especially the dedicated devs.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

That being said, I was able to get thru the initial installation process (bare metal) :

-setup of the USB key was done for the VID/PID

-also generated a serial and MAC pair at quickconnector.orgfree.com

-the device is found with find.synology.com and the synology assistant

-note: I had to choose Force Install otherwise an error did not allow to proceed

-everything seemed fine until restart, I've made sure to select the first line in the loader because of previous Force Install selection.

Then after restart, nothing happens. Even find.synology.com or the assistant does not detect the device anymore. I have to wipe the drive with ubuntu live before starting again.

Some things to try:

-maybe i should try the SataPortMap option to specify drive count (for me would be "=1", a single drive for testing now...) instead of the Force Install ?

-the board is a AsRock H97M-ITX/ac ..wonder if it's an hardware issue. I'll check if I can find another board.

..is there something obvious that I've missed here?

Ok, I was able to install (+update #7) with another board, the AM1B-ITX without any problem (so far)

Also there was no issue that forced me to select Force Install option

Unfortunately this board was only for testing...

..so if it is related to the H97M-ITX, is it possible its a driver issue?