XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

two sata controllers, correct. From https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT5NM10I/specifications/

Storage - Southbridge 2 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports support AHCI mode

I shutdown the system yesterday. Booted it yesterday by editing grub command appending the SataPortMap=10 value.

Just now, I boot the system again without editing the grub commands. Doest that mean it makes use of the "normal" value stored in the image?

two sata controllers, correct. From https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT5NM10I/specifications/

Storage - Southbridge 2 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports support AHCI mode

I shutdown the system yesterday. Booted it yesterday by editing grub command appending the SataPortMap=10 value.

Just now, I boot the system again without editing the grub commands. Doest that mean it makes use of the "normal" value stored in the image?

Ok I understand why it works with SataPortMap=10 then. One HHD in 1st controller, zero in the second.

Once you customise a value through the grub command line it adds it permanently to the grubenv so that is it used on every boot.

If, lets say for example, you issue again append SataPortMap=4 then the SataPortMap=10 value will be overwritten in the grubenv and SataPortMap=4 will then be used subsequently on future boots. This applies also for other entries such a pid, vid, s/n, mac1/2/3/4 and even when you select a boot entry in the grub boot menu. Basically, the grub.cfg stores default configurations, and customisation through grub command line interface will take precedence. Just open the grubenv file and you will see what's in there. Just a short note: for pid, vid, s/n, mac1 you don't need to use "append" in the command line. Simply type vid 0x[your vid number]. I've mentioned this in the tutorial if you need further details.

Yes they where all connected.

1. I used Migration - Used the .PAT file as per the first post - The upgraded to Update 5

2. They are in RAID 5

3. I have 3x HP MicroServers GEN8 with 4x Disks Each in RAID 5

The good news is that it actually failed my 1 disk that was bad SMART Failed and removed it from the Array. Got it replaced today and all sorted :smile:

Hey everyone,

I got it to work (Thanks a lot everyone who created, who tested, etc :grin: ), with a few weird hiccups, so here i will document how i got it to work, in case anyone has the same problem(s).

NOTE: Please tell me if anything i type is wrong or should be removed, i registered specifically for this one thing.

Okay, so in short, everything works fine as far as what i have done so far (including updating to the 6th update, which is currently the newest DSM version).

But here's the deal, it wasnt just follow the toturial and boom, done... No, instead, i had to first get the usb drive to be bootable (jun's img file woudnt boot for some reason.

so what i did whas this: i used win32diskimager to write "jun-baremetal-hybrid-uefibios-arcao-v2.img" to the usb drive... BUT, after that, i just copied the contents from "synoboot.img" and pressed "overwrite files". That's how i got it bootable.

After that, it was just as the toturial says, followed the instructions and now it works.

Also, my install was a migration, and except for the PXE server i had running on 5.2, everything was succesfully migrated. :smile:

My setup is as follows:

Hardware:

-Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DG31PR

-CPU: Intel® Pentium® Processor E2200

-RAM: Some off-brand 2x2GB 1333mhz

-Storage: 2x 3TB WD Red running in raid 1 - btrfs

-Storage: 1x 1TB WD Black running normally - ext4

Yes i understand the above hardware is not even remotely meant for NAS use... but, That's all i had lying around. :wink:

There are some other versions of the motherboard, so here's an image of the correct one. (Found online):

3Y6naj0.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hey everyone,

I got it to work (Thanks a lot everyone who created, who tested, etc :grin: ), with a few weird hiccups, so here i will document how i got it to work, in case anyone has the same problem(s).

NOTE: Please tell me if anything i type is wrong or should be removed, i registered specifically for this one thing.

Okay, so in short, everything works fine as far as what i have done so far (including updating to the 6th update, which is currently the newest DSM version).

But here's the deal, it wasnt just follow the toturial and boom, done... No, instead, i had to first get the usb drive to be bootable (jun's img file woudnt boot for some reason.

so what i did whas this: i used win32diskimager to write "jun-baremetal-hybrid-uefibios-arcao-v2.img" to the usb drive... BUT, after that, i just copied the contents from "synoboot.img" and pressed "overwrite files". That's how i got it bootable.

After that, it was just as the toturial says, followed the instructions and now it works.

If anyone wants to know on what hardware i got it working, i will add it to this post.

Also, my install was a migration, and except for the PXE server i had running on 5.2, everything was succesfully migrated. :smile:

Jun's image is perfectly bootable. You either had a bad download or a problem with your Bios configuration (most certainly).

Yes please do provide your hardware config so that the community can benefit from it.

Jun's image is perfectly bootable. You either had a bad download or a problem with your Bios configuration (most certainly).

Yes please do provide your hardware config so that the community can benefit from it.

Actually, i work in IT, so i suppose my BIOS config should be fine. :wink:

Plus, i've tried multiple downloads and multiple flashdrives and 2 systems, one NAS and one laptop.

I'm not saying the fault is on Jun's end though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that for some reason it woudn't work for me, so if anyone else had that problem, they do what i did and it might help them. :smile:

Also, yes in that case i will edit my original post and add hardware info in a few minutes.

EDIT: Hardware info added.

Hi all,

I need your help. I'm was running Jun's loader with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6 on my HPE Microserver Gen8 Baremetal. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday when DSM auto-upgraded to the beta version of DSM – DSM 6.1-14871. Not sure how, as i thought beta versions had to be installed manually. Unfortunately, the system won't boot now (I'm guessing because the bootloader is still DSM 6.0.2-8451) but get's stuck in a 'Recoverable' state.

I can find the DS on my network, though it seems the settings have returned to default via DHCP, whereas before I had two static IP addresses assigned. The DS has still retained its custom serial and MAC addresses however. FWIW, I can see the DS via both browser and the Synology Assistant app. All show the same 'Recoverable' state.

If there is a way to get this back up and running on DSM 6.0.2-8451, what would be the best? I'm unsure where to go from here. :sad:

Thanks for the great work, haven't try on my N54L yet, waiting for Christmas

Two question. My RAID is quite large for my backup device on my hand. Is it safe to remove my Volume1 RAID(I still got Volume2 which basically temp), upgrade to DSM6, then put my Volume1 again, and hope DSM6 will catch those HDD and mount it?

Or upgrade while all HDD in there and hope nothing goes wrong? which one is more risky?

2. Do I need to touch the boot menu to boot my AMD N54L AFTER I install DSM6 and have reboot later on? If yes, can I modify the default option?

Thank you in advance

Thanks for the great work, haven't try on my N54L yet, waiting for Christmas

Two question. My RAID is quite large for my backup device on my hand. Is it safe to remove my Volume1 RAID(I still got Volume2 which basically temp), upgrade to DSM6, then put my Volume1 again, and hope DSM6 will catch those HDD and mount it?

Or upgrade while all HDD in there and hope nothing goes wrong? which one is more risky?

2. Do I need to touch the boot menu to boot my AMD N54L AFTER I install DSM6 and have reboot later on? If yes, can I modify the default option?

Thank you in advance

I never removed devices from my box, so I don#t know the answer about that.

I intalled two ESXi instances with Jun's Bootloader and figured that you need to select the right boot setting in oder to get everything up and running properly. Hence, I modified the grub.cfg to have the ESXi entry as first position. Additionaly I commented out the MAC1 entry to give each of my boxes the MAC addresses of their vnics. Installation of two boxes in the same network with an unmodified grub.cfg results in two devices having the same MAC address, thus, causing heavy network trouble (unreliable/slow access).

I had an odd experience with a vmdk based harddisk, which was not recognized by dsm6.. no matter what.. I had to do a clean installation without the disk and attach it later. DSM recognized it as broken and offeren a repair option. After that, the other disk become accessible, though instead of volume1, it became volume2 and all installed packages were not recognized by dsm6. Had to reinstall them again. Now everything is working properly. The DSM migration seem to have a fairly good recovery mechanism.

The required information about how to modify the grub.cfg is provided in the first post...

kraized said:
Hi all,

I need your help. I'm was running Jun's loader with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6 on my HPE Microserver Gen8 Baremetal. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday when DSM auto-upgraded to the beta version of DSM – DSM 6.1-14871. Not sure how, as i thought beta versions had to be installed manually. Unfortunately, the system won't boot now (I'm guessing because the bootloader is still DSM 6.0.2-8451) but get's stuck in a 'Recoverable' state.

I can find the DS on my network, though it seems the settings have returned to default via DHCP, whereas before I had two static IP addresses assigned. The DS has still retained its custom serial and MAC addresses however. FWIW, I can see the DS via both browser and the Synology Assistant app. All show the same 'Recoverable' state.

If there is a way to get this back up and running on DSM 6.0.2-8451, what would be the best? I'm unsure where to go from here. :sad:

If you have ssh access or serial consol access you could try this https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/5442-downgrade-from-dsm-60/ adapting it to your case (6.1 > 6.0.2).

If you can't access through consol/ssh then you will need a ubuntu live USB to access the content of the system partition and modify the VERSION file manually (as explained in the above link) that is located in /etc.defaults. You can edit it with vi or nano if you had the later installed.

If you use live ubuntu you will need to install mdadm and lvm2:

apt-get install mdadm lvm2

Then you need to check your raid array and partitioning:

fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd

Mine gives this. Note I only have 2 drives /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

[spoiler=]

root@server:/etc.defaults# fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd
Disk /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
/dev/sda1           256    4980735    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2       4980736    9175039    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3       9437184 3907015007 3897577824  1.8T  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5       9453280 3907015007 3897561728  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
/dev/sdb1           256    4980735    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb2       4980736    9175039    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb3       9437184 3907015007 3897577824  1.8T  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5       9453280 3907015007 3897561728  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect

System partitions are the ones labeled sda1, sdb1. If you have more drives in the aray, subsequent system partitions will probably be called sdc1, sdd1 so on and so forth. You get the point.

Once you figured out all system partitions, you can examine the foreign endian array members by issuing (this is for my case, with 2 drives):

mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

if you have 3 drives then you add /dev/sdc1. You get the idea.

Finally issue:

mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

Same as previous command. Add any additional system partitions that you may have. Beware of the /dev/md0. It's normal, not a mistake.

Your system partition should now be mounted and you can navigated to /etc.defaults and edit the VERSION file as explained in the link above.

If you want to have access to the data partition instead to recover and backup all your data, simply issue:

mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay

This should mount the data partitions.

I can't guarantee that modifying the VERSION file will work no matter what path you use. Therefore I wont be able to support beyond this.

Good luck.