XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Never use the Ilo....it's used only to administrate the server if its turned of. Basic functions of ILO can be used without a license.

Ah oke Thanks, will use a 2gb then. What MAC addresses do you use from the Gen 8 server? The two MACS of the NICs of the one from ILO as well? And where to look this up?

I believe the current MACS and S/N were made up my some kind of tool. To let quickconnect work on dsm 5.2. (never worked for me though :wink:)

Never use the Ilo....it's used only to administrate the server if its turned of. Basic functions of ILO can be used without a license.

Ah oke Thanks, will use a 2gb then. What MAC addresses do you use from the Gen 8 server? The two MACS of the NICs of the one from ILO as well? And where to look this up?

I believe the current MACS and S/N were made up my some kind of tool. To let quickconnect work on dsm 5.2. (never worked for me though :wink:)

Oke thanks. So i have to add 2 MACs? and i can generate these macs and serial using the calculations online, but i have to flash them to the cards as well am i right?

Flash Mac to Nic? I wouldn't recommend ever flashing a nic with a new Mac address.

If you look at step 5 in the guide on the first page of this thread, it tells you what you should do with the Mac address.

Oke thanks. So i have to add 2 MACs? and i can generate these macs and serial using the calculations online, but i have to flash them to the cards as well am i right?

Sorry I didn´t do this as I don´t use any Synology services.

I had xpenology 5.2 installed before. via synology assistent, I found my mac and serial number there.

Flash Mac to Nic? I wouldn't recommend ever flashing a nic with a new Mac address.

If you look at step 5 in the guide on the first page of this thread, it tells you what you should do with the Mac address.

How about this then?

http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-syn ... alid-pair/

Says your Serial needs to match the mac's

How about this then?

http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-syn ... alid-pair/

Says your Serial needs to match the mac's

What Brantdk says about usb 2 instead of usb 3 is correct. It's not only preferrable to use usb 2 flash drives but also use the usb 2 ports the loader will be plugged to. I am not acquainted with your particular machine but it is always a save bet to use usb 2 when using bootable usb bootloaders.

For the MAC address there is no need to flash anything. It's not in the tutorial and it's for a good reason. Use the real MAC address of your NICs and simply use the s/n you had in DSM 5.2 or if you are doing a fresh install then you can generate a s/n from http://quickconnector.orgfree.com. Only use the generated s/n.

The only purpose of having a paired MAC and s/n is to fool Synology and use Quickconnect and related services. In no way I condone raping Synology specialy because it's a clear violation of their services and gives a bad reputation to Xpenology, but no matter what you do there is no need to flash anything. Flashing is a deprecated methode used in the early days of Xpenology.

Edited by Guest

Ah oke, i already performed the flash, but i can change that back. I dont know if i can still change the S/N and MAC of the bootloader after installing the dsm?

DSM 6.0 Seems to be working quite well. The quickconnect doesn't seem to be working with my paired MAC and Serial i got generated using some excel sheet. However, I am using a registered domain anyway.

Ah oke, i already performed the flash, but i can change that back. I dont know if i can still change the S/N and MAC of the bootloader after installing the dsm?

DSM 6.0 Seems to be working quite well. The quickconnect doesn't seem to be working with my paired MAC and Serial i got generated using some excel sheet. However, I am using a registered domain anyway.

I would not recommend flashing NICs with new MACs. Try reflashing them with their original MAC addresses and keep it that way.

The s/n and MAC seen/used by DSM are those stated in the grub.cfg file or grubenv. So if you change them, their new values will be reflected in DSM once you reboot.

The QuickConnect service that Synology offers is nothing other then a free DDNS service. Each time your public IP changes, QuickConnects tells synology that it has changed and sendes the request to it.

Succesfully changed it back to normal.

I changed my Mailserver and Mail station to MailPlus server and MailPlus station. Seems to be working, but cant use the mydomain/mail anymore. Works perfectly when opening mail station using DSM interface. Anyone else experience this?

I must be doing something wrong. All I see is a blinking cursor during boot. Nothing happens.

I did the whole setup as described in this tutorial. I got no errors or other issues. Changed grub.cfg with the correct VID/PID/sn/MAC.

I thought maybe the problem is with writing to the USB stick. I have tried with tools Win32DI/Rufus/UNetbootin and with 4 different USB flash drives. All with same result.

My 4th flash drive was the original with 5.2 boot on it. After this one failed too I wrote the backed up image with Win32DI again (XPenoboot from Trantor I believe) and booted fine into 5.2.

What is so different with this new bootloader that I just won't succeed??

My test system is a bare metal Atom D525 based board.

The QuickConnect service that Synology offers is nothing other then a free DDNS service. Each time your public IP changes, QuickConnects tells synology that it has changed and sendes the request to it.

Succesfully changed it back to normal.

I changed my Mailserver and Mail station to MailPlus server and MailPlus station. Seems to be working, but cant use the mydomain/mail anymore. Works perfectly when opening mail station using DSM interface. Anyone else experience this?

It's a lot more than that. It checks whether you are connecting from the same network and refers to local ip, if not it refers to external ip. It also automatically opens the port, if that is possible and closes it after it's not used anymore. If that's not possible it relays traffic through their service.

DDNS just refers traffic from the domain to your external IP.

I must be doing something wrong. All I see is a blinking cursor during boot. Nothing happens.

I did the whole setup as described in this tutorial. I got no errors or other issues. Changed grub.cfg with the correct VID/PID/sn/MAC.

I thought maybe the problem is with writing to the USB stick. I have tried with tools Win32DI/Rufus/UNetbootin and with 4 different USB flash drives. All with same result.

My 4th flash drive was the original with 5.2 boot on it. After this one failed too I wrote the backed up image with Win32DI again (XPenoboot from Trantor I believe) and booted fine into 5.2.

What is so different with this new bootloader that I just won't succeed??

My test system is a bare metal Atom D525 based board.

This looks to me more like a bios setting issue. Try booting from legacy bios instead of uefi. During POST push whatever you need to bring the bios boot menu and select the appropriate entry or simply change this in the bios so it is permanent.

...Try booting from legacy bios instead of uefi. During POST push whatever you need to bring the bios boot menu and select the appropriate entry or simply change this in the bios so it is permanent.

But I can succesfully boot from the XPEnoboot 5.2 image on the same disk. Is that legacy? Bios boot menu order is not an issue. That setting has been there for ages.

Maybe the motherboard doesn't support UEFI? Could that be?

The motherboard is from Asus, type AT5NM10-I (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT5NM10I/). It has the following specs:

- Intel BGA559 Platform

- Intel® NM10 chipset

I always used this machine for testing XPEnology DSM updates. When all went well, the "production" machine was ready for upgrading. A HP Microserver N40L.

I rather test this upgrade on the test server before moving on to the N40L. :-|

...Try booting from legacy bios instead of uefi. During POST push whatever you need to bring the bios boot menu and select the appropriate entry or simply change this in the bios so it is permanent.

But I can succesfully boot from the XPEnoboot 5.2 image on the same disk. Is that legacy? Bios boot menu order is not an issue. That setting has been there for ages.

Maybe the motherboard doesn't support UEFI? Could that be?

The motherboard is from Asus, type AT5NM10-I (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT5NM10I/). It has the following specs:

- Intel BGA559 Platform

- Intel[emoji768] NM10 chipset

I always used this machine for testing XPEnology DSM updates. When all went well, the "production" machine was ready for upgrading. A HP Microserver N40L.

I rather test this upgrade on the test server before moving on to the N40L. :-|

Testing a new loaders on a test machine is perhaps the first thing everyone should do. I do not mention this because this is simply a no brainer, at least for me. The problem is that many people take these loaders for granted and rush in using them on their production machines and then complain nothing is working.

There is no point in comparing previous loaders between each other. Each loader is different and should be considered as such specially when Xpenoboot and Jun's loader are made by different persons.

Jun's loader is a hybrid loader and normally works on both legacy bios and uefi.

I recommend you have a fresh look to your bios and see any configuration that could lead to this issue.

Edited by Guest

Sorry to do so but the quote does not work!

SerjiuS wrote:

Polanskiman wrote:

SerjiuS wrote:

Good afternoon, after doing the installation / migration and restarting I can not find the NAS.

Can this be by NIC drivers? Which I read in the manual.

Can it be solved?

After more than 20 min I already see the NAS.

I tried the update 4 but it does not install it says that the package is corrupt

Login is much slower.

The rest seems fine

A greeting.

Are you on a HP54NL? Some people have had a similar issues. Using Arcaos

Loader solved the problem. Please try and revert.

Good afternoon, it's a DELL OptiPlex 745 PC. And I'm using Jun's official v.1.01 loader

What loader do you tell me that solves the problem?

Thank you very much

It solved the problem for that user although I am not 100% convinced that it might work for your or that it is actually the solution but you can try. The loader I am talking about is a deprecated loader which was done by Jun but repackaged by Arcao with some drivers.

You can find it here >>> https://mega.nz/#!PRIECYqJ!24VjNAOTozWo ... tvlizTDFDU

Please revert after you try so the community can benefit from it.

Good morning, apologies for the delay in answering.

Well in the end I do not need to do the new loader with the version that you indicated to me.

As I said, I take more than 20 minutes to react, after upgrading from 5.2 to 6, something similar happens with login and update 4.

Now it is phenomenal, very fluid much more than with 5.2 and everything I had configured is still working without problems, I could also do the update to 4.

Right now I just updated to 5 and everything OK

Thank you very much for your help.

[...] I recommend you have a fresh look to your bios and see any configuration that could lead to this issue.

Thank you. There was this BIOS option which simulates a removable drive to be Auto/FDD/HD etc. I forced it be HD and now it succesfully boots the loader.

The system shows up in Synology Assistant as "Migratable". Now there is the following messages when connecting:

dvmWIoJ.png

In this system there are 2 SATA ports. The first one has 1 HD connected. Do I have to change "SataPortMap=" value? SATA ports are in AHCI mode.

The answer to your problem is stated in the tutorial/OP.

You mean this part? :

Note 5: If your encounter the "disk port disabled" error during installation

Because I altered the SataPortMap value already to reflect my system; SataPortMap=1

Edit:

I changed SataPortMap=1 to SataPortMap=10 with the append grub command. (Figuring SATA0 port has 1 drive, SATA1 port has 0)

Now I see this message when connecting:

xNMnwYZ.png

This is the normal Migration message? Or is this install as in re-install? :???:

Edit:

Clicking "Install" answered my question :???:

CV66Ugv.png