XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I used the win32imager. Works well with the usb drive in version 5.2. My monitor is plugged to the VGA port. When booting 5.2 I can see all the linux lines coming out to the screen, so it works when booting. I am booting now from this usb because the n54l is being used with v.5.2, so it is the booting disk. What do you mean by "Make sure your serial is activate in bios"?.

Some bios have an option for serial enable/disable I am not acquainted with your specific machine but if you see it then I would recommend you to turn that option on.

Have you tried other usb ports? Try again with another pen drive if possible. Don't forget to change vid/pid as each pen drive brand / model has its own pid/vid

Thanks for your help. I've tried yet another different flash drive with the same results. And I have no serial ports in BIOS. I'll have to wait for the next loader.

I don't think the loader is the problem. We can test something else. Do you have a usb hub? If you do, could you try pluging it in and then plug your flash drive in it, then boot?

Used a hub and USB in HDD emulation, no effect. As I said, it boots xpenoboot from USB and I have 5.2 working fine.

I have the impression that for some reason the display shuts off. Using a flash drive with a led light, if I press the arrow on the keyboard when it is supposed to be offering a choice, it stops reading. If I press intro then, it reads until it stops and the light goes off, as if it has loaded and finished. It is someting weird with the display. I am using a VGA-HDMI powered converter. Maybe something funny about that.

You could try editing the grub so that the option you want gets loaded by default and then reboot without the monitor attached. There is nothing to see using June's loader anyway. Wait a while and then search for the device with Synology assistant or look in the router for the ip address, then use your browser to navigate to the setup/migration page. That should work if the monitor is causing issues.

Also try different thumb drives because some people have reported issues with some usb drives.

Used a hub and USB in HDD emulation, no effect. As I said, it boots xpenoboot from USB and I have 5.2 working fine.

I have the impression that for some reason the display shuts off. Using a flash drive with a led light, if I press the arrow on the keyboard when it is supposed to be offering a choice, it stops reading. If I press intro then, it reads until it stops and the light goes off, as if it has loaded and finished. It is someting weird with the display. I am using a VGA-HDMI powered converter. Maybe something funny about that.

This looks to me like a corrupted image. Have you tried re-downloading the image file and burning it again? Try another browser if possible to download the image. Chrome or firefox.

Also try with usb 2 flash drives not usb 3. I don't think this last point is an issue but hey we are at a point where anything is possible!!

I also use a dvi/vga converter as my mobo doesn't have a vga port. But who knows maybe yours could be faulty.

I want the AMD boot option. I did copy the bzimage for AMD from June's post to the flash drive. How do I make the "menuentry "DS3615xs 6.02 Baremetal AMD $VERSION" in the grub.cfg file authomatic?

I haven't needed to do it and I don't have a way to look at the files right now but there should be something like this at the top "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" where 0 equals the option to boot by default. There's another line that allows you to change the delay time of the menu, if you increase that value the menu will stay up long enough for you to pick the boot item you want. You can also try pressing the arrow key during the boot like you would the fkey to access bios for example.

I want the AMD boot option. I did copy the bzimage for AMD from June's post to the flash drive. How do I make the "menuentry "DS3615xs 6.02 Baremetal AMD $VERSION" in the grub.cfg file authomatic?
I haven't needed to do it and I don't have a way to look at the files right now but there should be something like this at the top "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" where 0 equals the option to boot by default. There's another line that allows you to change the delay time of the menu, if you increase that value the menu will stay up long enough for you to pick the boot item you want. You can also try pressing the arrow key during the boot like you would the fkey to access bios for example.

To set the loader to automatically start default with the AMD option you would need to edit the grub file and change the following line:

set default=0

to

set default=3

There is no need to copy any bzimage from anywhere it's already included in the loader's image. When selecting the AMD entry in the menu it automatically uses the bzimage which is normally located under /Volumes/Untitled/image/DS3615xs in your flash drive.

Well, I finally found the problem. It was the VGA-HDMI converter. It displays the boot screens and the BIOS, and also the booting screens from xpenology fine. But it does not display the screens from June's loader (maybe a different video resolution?). I just used a VGA monitor and installed V.6.02. Seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks to all for your help.

Well, I finally found the problem. It was the VGA-HDMI converter. It displays the boot screens and the BIOS, and also the booting screens from xpenology fine. But it does not display the screens from June's loader (maybe a different video resolution?). I just used a VGA monitor and installed V.6.02. Seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks to all for your help.

Good to know you finally figured it out.

Hi!

I have a baremetal installation on HP n54l, all work fine but some issues with virtualization: DSM Virtual Manager doesn't see any vSwitch networks, dmesg has a line: "kvm: no hardware support".

Seems that is broken AMD kvm support in kernel. Try to build mod kvm_amd, but unsuccessful (insmod return error and dmesg has: version magic '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload modversions ' should be '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload ').

Anybody has same issue? Tried to fix? Thanks.

Hi!

I have a baremetal installation on HP n54l, all work fine but some issues with virtualization: DSM Virtual Manager doesn't see any vSwitch networks, dmesg has a line: "kvm: no hardware support".

Seems that is broken AMD kvm support in kernel. Try to build mod kvm_amd, but unsuccessful (insmod return error and dmesg has: version magic '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload modversions ' should be '3.10.77 SMP mod_unload ').

Anybody has same issue? Tried to fix? Thanks.

I recommend you leave a comment on the main thread about this so the devs can do something about it.

Hi,

Followed the instructions but all I get is the

screen will stop updating shortly...

and not:

early consol in decompress_kernel
Decompressing Linux.. Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel.

what am I doing wrong?

Then you haven't read the instructions till the end. I recommend you do so as what you are asking is clearly addressed in the tutorial.

Edited by Guest

:!: You need to modify the following, else it wont work: :!:

Change vid=0x090C to vid=0x[your usb drive vid]

Change pid=0x1000 to pid=0x[your usb drive pid]

Change console=uart,io,0x3f8,115200n8 to console=ttyS0,115200n8

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=[your sn]

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your mac address] You can also add mac2=[your mac2 address] if you have a 2nd NIC.

I'm planning to upgrade my N54L from 5.2 to 6.0 and have been reading this thread and related threads.

\Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction on how I get/change the serial number?

I understand from other posts that sn/mac should be a valid pair. Can't really find though how I do this.

Apologies if this should be obvious - hope someone can help me out here.

Hi,

I try to migrate DSM6 on my Gen8 Celeron. But i can't get the .pat File installed (it says, its corrupted). I edited the PID / VID according to my stick. What serialnumber do i have to put in? And what Macs? The originals from the Gen8? I am a bit confused. Sorry.

Regards

Serpens

You can use any serial# and MAC e.g. your actual MAC from your device and you'll only need to change it if you want to use Synology services such as quickconnect etc.

This will not stop the install so I would try a different USB stick or try redownloading the .pat file.

I understand from other posts that sn/mac should be a valid pair.

Please see above but if you do want a valid pair try - http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-syn ... alid-pair/

This site will generate codes for you - https://jsfiddle.net/7Lorpu77/

Polanskiman said:
komarto said:
Hi,

Followed the instructions but all I get is the

screen will stop updating shortly...

and not:

early consol in decompress_kernel
Decompressing Linux.. Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel.

what am I doing wrong?

Then you haven't read the instructions till the end. I recommend you do so as what you are asking is clearly addressed in the tutorial.

I read it, again, still do not see any info regrading the above.

something else, I enabled my Realtek NIC and now I can find the NAS, which means that the loader does not have drivers

for my Intel 82580 NIC only for Realtek, Posted Here a driver request.

do you know if Marvell 88SE9215 SATA controller driver is also included?

also when I find my NAS I get SATA disabled, I tried SataPortMap=44, I have 4 onboard SATA port and 4 more on a MAREVL expension card, can you help?