XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Followed instruction, many thanks for everyone' input! Booted okay but had error msgs saying could not find serial number. used Synology Assistant to find device and it reported Migrate able. Also reported errors with SATA controller and disabled controller therefore had only 1 drive of 3 working and could not update.

back to step 1

As a side note, the other PITA is editing the boot USB EFI disk. I have a Win7 desktop only.

Followed instruction, many thanks for everyone' input! Booted okay but had error msgs saying could not find serial number. used Synology Assistant to find device and it reported Migrate able. Also reported errors with SATA controller and disabled controller therefore had only 1 drive of 3 working and could not update.

back to step 1

As a side note, the other PITA is editing the boot USB EFI disk. I have a Win7 desktop only.

You could use an ubuntu live CD for that. Hopefully a new version of the loader made through an MBR partition table instead of EFI will come out soon. This would enable most platforms to access the content of the USB easily.

I successfully upgraded xpenology DSM 5.2 on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 on the PC with E350M2 motherboard and two 1,5Tb HDD.

The only thing that does not work is Quickconnect or can not start the application process at mydsm report an error¸"system failed to perform requested operation, there is a unknovn error"

I successfully upgraded xpenology DSM 5.2 on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 on the PC with E350M2 motherboard and two 1,5Tb HDD.

The only thing that does not work is Quickconnect or can not start the application process at mydsm report an error¸"system failed to perform requested operation, there is a unknovn error"

After all the updates it worked for me during the day (yesterday). But I had to restart my server last night and after reboot I noticed 2 items no longer working:

1) I changed user setting in "/etc/passwd" and noticed this gets reset after reboot (even though it's changed with "root" user)

2) The above quoted part by bignjato I have as well. I noticed my dsm no longer was connected after reboot and looking further into this that this has to do with getting an api reply to either log in or register the serial number. So if you manually try running "/usr/syno/sbin/synocloudserviceauth -a get -f" I get a message "failed to get a api key". I removed my serial number from the synology website as registered and that didn't do the trick. I then registered the serial number again on the site and still nothing. It should return with an api/ID

The serial + mac address I use are the same as the one I used on 5.2 loader. I also tried a new MAC and new Serial, but nothing. Maybe they are inherently different processes on DSM 6.0 then on DSM 5.2. Anyone a clue?

I'm thinking of completely resetting my DSM (with some spare disks) to test this out so I'll probably come back with some more results.

After all the updates it worked for me during the day (yesterday). But I had to restart my server last night and after reboot I noticed 2 items no longer working:

1) I changed user setting in "/etc/passwd" and noticed this gets reset after reboot (even though it's changed with "root" user)

2) The above quoted part by bignjato I have as well. I noticed my dsm no longer was connected after reboot and looking further into this that this has to do with getting an api reply to either log in or register the serial number. So if you manually try running "/usr/syno/sbin/synocloudserviceauth -a get -f" I get a message "failed to get a api key". I removed my serial number from the synology website as registered and that didn't do the trick. I then registered the serial number again on the site and still nothing. It should return with an api/ID

The serial + mac address I use are the same as the one I used on 5.2 loader. I also tried a new MAC and new Serial, but nothing. Maybe they are inherently different processes on DSM 6.0 then on DSM 5.2. Anyone a clue?

I'm thinking of completely resetting my DSM (with some spare disks) to test this out so I'll probably come back with some more results.

QC wont work unless you have a paired MAC/SN. I do not condone the use of the QC. You can very easily set up a custom DDNS which will do the EXACT same job.

QC wont work unless you have a paired MAC/SN. I do not condone the use of the QC. You can very easily set up a custom DDNS which will do the EXACT same job.

I know it doesn't work without a proper match as much as I know I can use a custom DDNS :smile: This is just a thing I noticed after migrating from 5.2 (with a working setup for synology.me DDNS) to 6.0 with the same SN/MAC no longer working and would rather post it in here so ppl have an idea as if to why something isn't working. Also doing a clean test with 2 disk laying around to test it. See if it works out of the box and after some restarts etc.

I know it doesn't work without a proper match as much as I know I can use a custom DDNS :smile: This is just a thing I noticed after migrating from 5.2 (with a working setup for synology.me DDNS) to 6.0 with the same SN/MAC no longer working and would rather post it in here so ppl have an idea as if to why something isn't working. Also doing a clean test with 2 disk laying around to test it. See if it works out of the box and after some restarts etc.

Let us know how it goes with the clean install.

Just finished a "downgrade" re-installation of 6.0.2 which indeed activated my synology quickconnect (this was without patches yet). Rebooted, no issues at all. Then installed latest Synology patch 2 and rebooted. And still everything works. I'll have to reconfigure it completely (but that's what I wanted to do anyway at some point :smile:

So all is good now, even after a third reboot.

Hey there,

I've failed booting from USB on my Microserver Gen. 8.

Anybody running successfully v1.0.1 on a HP Microserver?

The problem maybe is the GPT partition table which comes from Win32DIskImager.

But is there an alternate tool to create an MBR formated boot drive?

Edit: Problem was a defect USB Stick, trying another works like a charm :smile:

Edit v2: Is it possible to update DSM 6.02-8451 Update 2 through Webupdater or should I use .pat files?

I am waiting for the update of the turorial. And more reactions. It looks very promising.

Tutorial has been updated

############## Tutorial UPDATES ##################

[30/10/2016] Updated loader to latest version. Jun Loader v.1 This loader now has AMD support.

[03/11/2016] Updated Jun's loader to latest version v1.0.1 - Link remains the same.

I am waiting for the update of the turorial. And more reactions. It looks very promising.

Tutorial has been updated

############## Tutorial UPDATES ##################

[30/10/2016] Updated loader to latest version. Jun Loader v.1 This loader now has AMD support.

[03/11/2016] Updated Jun's loader to latest version v1.0.1 - Link remains the same.

I believe he meant the procedure. Since Jun published his loader version 1.0 the process has slightly changed because he has included some automation/new features within the loader that in principle enables the user to make changes directly within Grub instead of editing the grub.cfg file. This implies a change of the process. I haven't had time to update the tutorial but I have provided a link to Jun's OP where he makes a short explanation on how to use the loader.

A new loader tool seems to be on the way and I don't want to be changing the tutorial again. I will do the overhaul once everything is stabilised and have a feel that things wont change dramatically.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Guest

Using Jun's v1.01 loader on my AMD-based test system (ASRock C70M1) install was smooth, no issues. Based on this I was confident to start with my main system, N54L / Turion 2.2. This was no succes unfortunatly. The box does not become visible on my network, at all! Did a few attempts, because i was unsure on correct SataPortMap=xxx setting, but I guess issue is elsewhere.

Seems this machine has no serial port, is this an issue?

Anybody any advice? Many thanks

I played with this for a while before I figured it out.

My onboard LAN for my Supermicro X10SRi-F would not work for the Synology assistant. The network adapter for this board is Intel® i350-AM2 Dual port GbE LAN.

I popped in an old Intel Server Network card I had on hand and it was picked up almost immediately. Funny though, because it looked like post configuration, the integrated dual port connections show up.