XPEnology Community

After installing DSM and the server reboots, blank screen with blinking cursor

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this problem as well. After fiddling around and getting the server to appear inside the browser. I have gone ahead and pressed the install button. As soon as the installation is completed and the pc reboots I pull out the USB Drive (Loader V1.02b) and my SSD gets "booted", but the only thing appearing on my screen is a flashing cursor. IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.890b8bd2f3fdd254bb777a78e100d6f9.JPG

On a Linux Forum, I have read that this could be caused by GRUB being installed in the wrong directory. 

I would really appreciate any help. 

Edited by Korfay

On 9/1/2017 at 6:06 PM, Korfay said:

I have this problem as well. After fiddling around and getting the server to appear inside the browser. I have gone ahead and pressed the install button. As soon as the installation is completed and the pc reboots I pull out the USB Drive (Loader V1.02b) and my SSD gets "booted", but the only thing appearing on my screen is a flashing cursor. On a Linux Forum, I have read that this could be caused by GRUB being installed in the wrong directory. 

I would really appreciate any help. 

Removing the boot loader will simply prevent DSM from booting... There is a reason why it's called a "boot loader".

Also I don't think using Jun's boot loader 1.02b will work on a laptop as I believe the modules are not included. Also be advised that even if it works you would need to access DSM from a different computer. DSM is a server OS and therefore is not meant to have a display attached to it. It is meant to be accessed through the network. In any case that black screen and a cursor tells me that the usb boot loader did not boot, perhaps because you removed it in the first place...

• Like 2