XPEnology Community

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - DSM 6.1 on Baremetal

tabajdi

On 12/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, Debug_Bug said:

I have expierenced the following problems (so far) with Update 6:

• I'm unable to change the DSM interface ports away from 5000 / 5001 - the were different before the update but now I cant change them
  • I can only access the DSM on port 5000 (without https) trying https:// on port 5001 does not work - nothing responds
  • Photo station no longer works, even after uninstall/reinstall I'm unable to access it (it simply opens DSM when clicking the icon)
  • The Synology search tool detects the server but clicking connect inside the tool opens the browser on the ports I used to use (8080) even though the web interface now only responds on port 5000 and I can not change the port.

Anyone else seeing something like this?

FYI, the above problem was solved when updating to update 7 through the control panel. Everything seems to be working now (juns loader 1.02b).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a few months now. I also tested xpenology  project in vmware workstation for a long time and finaly decided to to take the ride on real baremetal box. I managed to get hp microserver gen8 1610T version few weeks ago (probably one of the last boxes out there :)) and now i would appreciate some advice from gen8 users regarding bios settings. As i understand from posts sata ports should be set as sata ahci mode. Done that. Also enabled wake on lan in bios. Is there anything else to consider? Specifically:

-system options
    serial port options
        com2
-power management option
    hp power profile
        balanced power and performance
    hp power regulator
        hp dynamic power saving mode

Any advice on these? or anything else maybe i should pay attention?

Also would like to know how you power server on if there's power outage for example so server is shut off and your not home. You use WOL or iLo console or app for powering it on?

Oh, and forgot to mention since this will be a fresh install i'll be using juns loader 1.02b and dsm 6.1.4

Thank you for help and for this great project.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Did anyone had issues with gen8, jun 1.02b, dsm 6.1.5 on baremetal? Sometimes when i play with packages (install or uninstall some packages) i encounter a volume crash, my web interface is showing "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." The only way i can get it to work again is to put another drive, fresh reinstall the dsm and hotplug the old hdd in place, the volume is mounted and shows up as damaged, quick repair and it's working (i have to waste an hour to reinstall all my packages and put all the settings back). Does anyone knows why is this happening ? Forgot to mention that ssh and web interface doesn't work, i can work with my smb folders but only until i make the first restart of microserver, after that everything is down.

Thanks

Edited by grafiprints

59 minutes ago, nokian80 said:

Hello

i have HP proliant microserver gen 8 and i make usb boot with loader v1.02a2 and i try to install DSM_DS3617xs_15047.pat 

but i see this message again and again failed to install the file probably corrupt 13

Any help?

You would be better off running DS3615xs & jun's 1.02b loader, also make sure you have set the vid & pid  of the USB correctly.

no i did not set anything.

Only i make the boot usb and i try to imstall the .pat file

You need to mount the .img file from jun and edit the vid and pid values, you should also set the Serial Number and the MAC to your real nic mac.

There is a pretty good tutorial here.

https://xpenology.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7973-Tutorial:-Install/Migrate-DSM-5.2-to-6.1.x-(Jun's-loader)

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 2:05 AM, tabajdi said:

Is it possibile to install a later release than DSM 6.2-23739 on Gen8 on Baremetal?

nope, you have to install an Intel NIC so that you can enjoy DSM like 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.

I just tried on my Microserver Gen8

On 12/10/2018 at 3:05 PM, tabajdi said:

Is it possibile to install a later release than DSM 6.2-23739 on Gen8 on Baremetal?

We are going off tracks here. This thread is meant for Microserver Gen8 on DSM 6.1 as its title suggests. Any question related to DSM 6.2 please either refer to other available topics or create a new one. You can also check the DSM Updates Reporting sub-forum to check if your hardware is upgradable to DSM 6.2.