XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.2-15132

jensmander

20 hours ago, Balrog said:

You can add a virtual serial port to the vm in esxi and connect over this way.
This might give a clue what I mean:
https://www.fir3net.com/Virtualization/VMware/esxi-connecting-to-a-named-pipe-serial-conenction.html

Thanks Balrog, didn't know that one ...

so I needed to try it out, and it worked not as expected.
I use PuTTY on the WIndows 10 client and can see the start of the boot process:

COM1 - PuTTY  

GNU GRUB  version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 | DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha                          |
 | DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha Reinstall                |
 | DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha Force Install            |
 |*DS3615xs 6.1 VMWare/ESXI with Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha                        |
 |                                                                            |
 +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.
      Press enter to boot the selected OS, `e' to edit the commands
      before booting or `c' for a command-line.
   The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 0s.
[    3.341029] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.344508] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.352841] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.355359] sd 1:0:1:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.359576] sd 1:0:1:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.375711] sd 1:0:1:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    3.662064] ata2: Read current link speed fail, retry 1
[    3.669056] ata2: Read current link speed fail, retry 2
[    3.676078] ata2: Read current link speed fail, retry 3
[    3.696104] ata3: Read current link speed fail, retry 1
[    3.703105] ata3: Read current link speed fail, retry 2
[    3.710126] ata3: Read current link speed fail, retry 3
[    3.812263] md: invalid raid superblock magic on sdb3
[   34.775265] BTRFS: has skinny extents

Hide  

But there it stops and I don't go to the prompt.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by hpk

As I'm using the VM DSM to replace an older physical Synology with Logitech Media Server, I did a backup of the settings on the physical machine and restored it on the VM ... and now, Terminal with PuTTY works ... Need to check, what settings might have caused the behaviour described above ...

A connection over a serial port is just easier but not the only way to fix this. As mentioned in my 1st post it's possible to boot from a live linux, mount the system partitions and copy the files. Just in case you don't have a serial port/cable/etc. on consumer hardware (the HP MicroServer Gen8 has a virtual serial port to which you can connect with putty via the iLo address). 

3 hours ago, jensmander said:

A connection over a serial port is just easier but not the only way to fix this. As mentioned in my 1st post it's possible to boot from a live linux, mount the system partitions and copy the files. Just in case you don't have a serial port/cable/etc. on consumer hardware (the HP MicroServer Gen8 has a virtual serial port to which you can connect with putty via the iLo address). 

Hi. I ran into this with my Q1900 M- ITX baremetal system. There is a simple solution. You need another PC with a Sata port free. I use Windows 10. 

So, you need to rewrite the previous bootloader 1.02a2 on the usb drive. Put the first HDD of your Xpenology system on the free Sata port, format (choose Linux ext4) the first partition of the HDD ( I used Paragon Disk Manager to do the job) and connect the HDD and the usb drive back to your Xpenology system. Do the 6.1.1 DSM fresh install and you have again all your data back.  After that you need to reinstall all your packages and users and so on... It's an one minute job, really. I hope it's useful for the Windows users.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎15 at 10:59 PM, pigr8 said:

working on Baremetal Gen8 :smile:

Hi,

Which bootloader do you use? I used Jun's Mod V1.02 (NOT 1.02a2) and made a clean install of  6.1.1-15101 on Gen8 baremetal. - This is working!

When I tried to uppdate to  6.1.2-15132, the process finished with recovery loop.

How is the 6.1.2-15132 working for you?

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, jensmander said:

Today (2017-06-15) DSM 6.1.2-15132 has been released.

I tried an update on a bare-metal Intel system (Loader 1.02a, DS3615XS) with NO luck! To get the system up and running again you have to boot from a live linux system, mount the system partitions and copy all files from

/lib/modules/update

to

/lib/modules

After that unmount the partitions, shut down the system and plug in your XPEnology boot stick/card. 

Polanskiman wrote an excellent tutorial on how to gain access to this partitions: 

Thanks for the info.

But how to unmount the partition when I'm done? The tutorial that Polanskiman wrote didn't mention it either.

Thanks.

Edited by Elpee

On 19/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, tabajdi said:

Hi,

Which bootloader do you use? I used Jun's Mod V1.02 (NOT 1.02a2) and made a clean install of  6.1.1-15101 on Gen8 baremetal. - This is working!

When I tried to uppdate to  6.1.2-15132, the process finished with recovery loop.

How is the 6.1.2-15132 working for you?

actually i'm on 1.02a (1.02a2 is for ds3617xs), the update went fine but at reboot with the 6.1.2-15132 i had no network, so cp /lib/module/update to /lib/module over vsp (virtual serial port ssh) and rebooted again, everything went back normal :smile:

18 minutes ago, pigr8 said:

actually i'm on 1.02a (1.02a2 is for ds3617xs), the update went fine but at reboot with the 6.1.2-15132 i had no network, so cp /lib/module/update to /lib/module over vsp (virtual serial port ssh) and rebooted again, everything went back normal :smile:

Thanks!

T.

On 18.6.2017 at 4:58 PM, Cr4z33 said:

Everything is running fine after the latest update but the button shutdown spk. :/

Inviato dal mio SM-G955F utilizzando Tapatalk

just uninstall and install the package, its just a script that copy's files on installing the script and after replacing the content of the root file system the files are missing

a complete new/big version like 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 replaces the content of /dev/md0, so modificacions like changed scripts, changed configs - like max. disks

if you open the *.pat with 7zip you will find a hda1.tgz, the content of the root file system aka the new dsm version

so if you have modifyed the synoinfo.conf you also have to redo the changes

would be intresting to know what experiance people have that user more then 12 disks after such update as the count of disks is restet to 12 and the actual raid in place contains a more disks (i'd expect a crashed raid after update if you boot with the new version without modyfiening it before the first boot)

• Like 1

Hi guys, I have some knowledge of computers and decided to do an Xpenology setup last April. I installed the 1.02a alpha loader on a ESXI 6.5 VM. I used an old server for the job. Every thing was fine until a couple of days ago when I clicked the update button for DSM.  I lost connection to my Xpenology VM.  I read everything in this forum over and over and began trying things. I could not get the serial connection to work.  I could putty or winscp to my Host but that was it. No matter what I did to get to my Xpenology VM it was connection refused using the serial connection. I fiddled with the firewall, you name it. SO I went to another method, create another VM and migrate the data drive. Well the problem was I had used all my space, since I dedicated this server to just being an Xpenology box. So in the VM setup I used existing hard drive and not knowing what I was doing I put the synoboot.img in a temp directory and then put it on the virtual DVD drive.  When I started this test VM up I got "No Operating System Found". I have never used ESXI before last April and know very little about it, so I do a lot of dumb stuff. After I fiddled around with this VM for hours, I went back and started my original VM and boom, I noticed on my virtual switch the connections were lit up! I did the find.synology on my browser and it found my original VM and asked if I wanted to recover the data because it had been moved from another machine. I said yes and a miracle ocured and I was back in business.  Apparently what had happened was I had uploaded by accident the 1.02b synoboot.img to my old VM while fiddling with my test VM and did not know it.  I got clued into this because the date on it was June 25 on the original VM. At least this is my best reconstruction of past events. Some knowledgeable people on this forum might be able to figure out what happened and post an easy fix for those who decided to test fate and do the latest update and loose their connection to their box.  At least for those like me who were running on ESXI 6.5 VM. 

I have DSM 6.02 running under ESXi 6.0,never tried to upgrade to 6.1.x, after I saw that it become a brick (I even tried my self, I installed a test 6.0.2 and tried to upgrade).

Now, after 1.0b released, is there a path to upgrade 6.02 to 6.12 on ESXi?

-Roei