jensmander

DSM 6.1.2-15132

Recommended Posts

Today (2017-06-15) DSM 6.1.2-15132 has been released.

I tried an update on a bare-metal Intel system (Loader 1.02a, DS3615XS) with NO luck! To get the system up and running again you have to boot from a live linux system, mount the system partitions and copy all files from

/lib/modules/update

to

/lib/modules

After that unmount the partitions, shut down the system and plug in your XPEnology boot stick/card. 

Polanskiman wrote an excellent tutorial on how to gain access to this partitions: 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S.: I didn't want to say that it's safe to install this update! I was lucky to get the system up again but I won't install it on my other bare-metal systems. So be aware of this update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built a bare metal install on (Loader 1.02a, DS3615XS) 6.1.1-15101-4, and have just successfully, with no issues, through Control Panel, DSM Update gone to 6.1.2-15132, no issues.  They were always were several package updates too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah DO NOT update to 6.1.2 on Jun's 1.0.2a2 loader, my VMware instance no longer gets an IP address after installing the update. It's never a good idea to update to 6.1.x releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASROCK Q1900-ITX  DS3617xs Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha baremetal

Update from DSM 6.1.1-15101 (Update 4) to 6.1.2-15132 also failed :( (from DSM Menu)

But new install  6.1.2-15132 on Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha works good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, filippo333 said:

Yeah DO NOT update to 6.1.2 on Jun's 1.0.2a2 loader, my VMware instance no longer gets an IP address after installing the update. It's never a good idea to update to 6.1.x releases.

that is because it's missing the lan driver, you should be able to fix it instead of remark as do_no_update.

as the op said, login in via console (serial, virtual, local, whatever) and copy the modules in the right folder, tha reboot.. it's a very simple fix that require less than a minute, it's not an update problem but a loader bug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VBox update from 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 to 6.1.2-1513 - FAIL

baremeal update from 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 to 6.1.2-1513 - SUCCESS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.1.2-15132 Update from 6.1.1-15101 failed on ESXi Server as several discovered already.

Therefore, I did the following to bring it up & running:

I did a fresh install in a new directory on the ESXi server with an 8GB virtual disk.
6.1.2-15132 installs without any issues.
I shut down the virual machine and moved the second virtual disk (4TB) from the 6.1.1-15101 installation to the new 6.1.2 installation directory.
Then in VM settings I added this existing virtual disk with all my data to the newly created virtual machine.
After restart, DSM reported an error on the new volume and offered to repair it (my guess, it copied the 200MB DSM files from the 8GB virtual disk one to the 4TB virtual disk two, as they were not the same).
I started the repair routine wich ended up with an okay. 
After a reboot, everything was up and running, all data on my big virtual disk were there.

So, for me it worked, hovewer:

Don't forget, Jun's 1.02a loader is in alpha status.
If you are testing things as I explained above, make shure you have a good backup concept.
That it worked for me on my ESXi server does not mean, it works at your's as well. 
So be cautious and backup your valuable data before experimentig ... 

Good luck   :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
that is because it's missing the lan driver, you should be able to fix it instead of remark as do_no_update.

as the op said, login in via console (serial, virtual, local, whatever) and copy the modules in the right folder, tha reboot.. it's a very simple fix that require less than a minute, it's not an update problem but a loader bug.

 

And just how are you supposed to do that without a serial or network connection?

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Balrog said:


You can add a virtual serial port to the vm in esxi and connect over this way.
This might give a clue what I mean:
https://www.fir3net.com/Virtualization/VMware/esxi-connecting-to-a-named-pipe-serial-conenction.html


I was really wondering about this, it seemed quite unlikely to me that a virtual serial port driver for vmware esxi would be present inside this virtual synology DS... but it really works!!! I just tried it, one can log in in the same way as with an ssh session, plus additionally sees all the boot information during startup of xpenology.

My virtual Windows XP installed the serial port as COM1, and I could connect with putty using the default setting of 9600 baud.

Now let's see if I can get those update files in the right place...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ronny D'Hoore said:


I was really wondering about this, it seemed quite unlikely to me that a virtual serial port driver for vmware esxi would be present inside this virtual synology DS... but it really works!!! I just tried it, one can log in in the same way as with an ssh session, plus additionally sees all the boot information during startup of xpenology.

My virtual Windows XP installed the serial port as COM1, and I could connect with putty using the default setting of 9600 baud.

Now let's see if I can get those update files in the right place...


So indeed, it worked. Through the web interface, I chose to update from 6.1.1-15101 to 6.1.2-15132. After rebooting, the web interface does not come back. I logged in through the serial connection (using the same login info as web interface), and did following two commands:

sudo cp /lib/modules/update/* /lib/modules
sudo reboot

(After the first command, I had to type my password once more)

So it rebooted and I could log in again through the web interface, and the version was indeed 6.1.2-15132.

Thanks very much everyone, for the valuable information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, filippo333 said:

Is there a way to do this on a Baremetal machine without mounting partitions in Linux?
 

 


I only used ESXi so far, but if your baremetal has a physical serial port (or a way to add one), and it actually works with xpenology, meaning you see stuff happening during boot when a laptop with terminal software is connected to your serial port, then yes, you can easily fix it as I described above. 

Having serial port access is really useful. Not only for monitoring the boot process, but also to have a linux command prompt when ethernet is down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Is there a way to do this on a Baremetal machine without mounting partitions in Linux?

 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

 

On bare metal you have to have a real serial port built into the server where you can connect a real serial RS232-cable to a real serial port (e.g. a usb-2-serial-converter). Then you are able to use putty and can work over this connection.

 

Or you have a HP Gen 8 server. Then your are able to enable a virtual serial port over iLO. The howto to this solution is in this forum, you must search it.

 

@Ronny: nice to read that the information is useful and working. :smile:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ronny D'Hoore said:


So indeed, it worked. Through the web interface, I chose to update from 6.1.1-15101 to 6.1.2-15132. After rebooting, the web interface does not come back. I logged in through the serial connection (using the same login info as web interface), and did following two commands:

sudo cp /lib/modules/update/* /lib/modules
sudo reboot

(After the first command, I had to type my password once more)

So it rebooted and I could log in again through the web interface, and the version was indeed 6.1.2-15132.

Thanks very much everyone, for the valuable information.

told ya fellas :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ronny D'Hoore said:


So indeed, it worked. Through the web interface, I chose to update from 6.1.1-15101 to 6.1.2-15132. After rebooting, the web interface does not come back. I logged in through the serial connection (using the same login info as web interface), and did following two commands:
............................
.............................

Please see the line I bolded. I just don't know how you logged thru serial connection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Balrog said:

On bare metal you have to have a real serial port built into the server where you can connect a real serial RS232-cable to a real serial port (e.g. a usb-2-serial-converter). Then you are able to use putty and can work over this connection.

 

Or you have a HP Gen 8 server. Then your are able to enable a virtual serial port over iLO. The howto to this solution is in this forum, you must search it.

 

@Ronny: nice to read that the information is useful and working. :smile:

 

My current bare metal is Asrock Q1900-ITX that has real serial port. I connected my nas to a monitor, of course, thru a serial cable too and I can see it's booting up on the screen of the monitor. 

344899-137735-product_original-plyta-glo

 

Then, how can I use putty and "work over this connection?"

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My current bare metal is Asrock Q1900-ITX that has real serial port. I connected my nas to a monitor, of course, thru a serial cable too and I can see it's booting up on the screen of the monitor. 
344899-137735-product_original-plyta-glowna-asrock-q1900-itx-soc-ft1-cpu-pcx-vga-dzw-glan-sata3-usb3-ddr3-mini-itx.jpg
 
Then, how can I use putty and "work over this connection?"
Thanks.
 

Just make it so like described here:
https://kb.cyberoam.com/default.asp?id=2193

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hpk said:

6.1.2-15132 Update from 6.1.1-15101 failed on ESXi Server as several discovered already.

Therefore, I did the following to bring it up & running:

I did a fresh install in a new directory on the ESXi server with an 8GB virtual disk.
6.1.2-15132 installs without any issues.
I shut down the virual machine and moved the second virtual disk (4TB) from the 6.1.1-15101 installation to the new 6.1.2 installation directory.
Then in VM settings I added this existing virtual disk with all my data to the newly created virtual machine.
After restart, DSM reported an error on the new volume and offered to repair it (my guess, it copied the 200MB DSM files from the 8GB virtual disk one to the 4TB virtual disk two, as they were not the same).
I started the repair routine wich ended up with an okay. 
After a reboot, everything was up and running, all data on my big virtual disk were there.

So, for me it worked, hovewer:

Don't forget, Jun's 1.02a loader is in alpha status.
If you are testing things as I explained above, make shure you have a good backup concept.
That it worked for me on my ESXi server does not mean, it works at your's as well. 
So be cautious and backup your valuable data before experimentig ... 

Good luck   :-)

This method worked for me with ESXi 6.0.

Upgrading in ESXi doesn't work as has been said.

This is the easiest way to get a running DSM 6.1.2 xpenology system in ESXi and move your data over safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.