XPEnology Community

Is DSM checking SN for video conversion?

On 10/20/2017 at 12:56 AM, haldi said:

Small Update... switched from Celeron G1610T to a Xeon 1265L Sandybridge with iGPU

Haldi@NAS:~$ cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf
{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_enc","h264_dec","mpeg4part2_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc"],"token":"4*******c"}

Dafuq, this is after 6.1.4. update 2

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_enc","h264_dec","mpeg4part2_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc","hevc_dec"],"token":"01************4"}

They added x265 Decoder?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:46 AM, haldi said:

Dafuq, this is after 6.1.4. update 2

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_enc","h264_dec","mpeg4part2_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc","hevc_dec"],"token":"01************4"}

They added x265 Decoder?

Hello Haldi,

I also sent you a PM, maybe, if you have some spare time, have a look into my topic here:

and see if you can help us with some intermediate or extra steps to take so hardware transcoding works?

For hardware transcoding I Understand that process "gst-launch-1.0" has to run while watching a movie in Video station. and not ffmpeg. ffmpeg means it is running software transcoding.

Please check this.

Also, I see the result from checking activation has changed after you switched CPUs. did you do any other changes (hardware/software) to your system? Or this change appeared only because of the different CPU?

Edited by nonyhaha

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get Photostation and Videostation video conversion working on my baremetal N54L installation (Jun's loader 1.04b, DSM 6.1), DS3615xs).

I tried a few SN / Mac pairs, one generated in the old format (no surprise that didn't work for DSM6.1) and a couple of new format ones from genuine Syno boxes, including a DS3615xs but no luck.  Every time I check /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf I get the same message - SN format is wrong. 

What I figured out is that when I update the SN & MAC in grub editor, the activation.conf file isn't getting re-generated. (The time stamp on the file pre-dates my changes to SN & MAC.) So I renamed activation.conf in the hope a new file would be generated, but still no luck.  The renamed file is there, but no new one is generated.

So my question is this - when I change SN & MAC in grub, is there anything else I should be doing to make DSPhoto and DSVideo do the video conversion?? 

Note:

- I haven't registered the SNs on mysynology and don't really want to.

- I have no need or use for quickconnect or push notifications and no intention to use them.

- I didn't flash the syno MAC to my N54L but Synology Assistant has no problem seeing the box and always reports the SN and MAC that I entered in grub editor.

I know I could manually transcode code my videos but that's quite a job.  I prefer if DSPhoto and DSVideo would do it for me. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

5 hours ago, gaskit said:

I've been trying to get Photostation and Videostation video conversion working on my baremetal N54L installation (Jun's loader 1.04b, DSM 6.1), DS3615xs).

I tried a few SN / Mac pairs, one generated in the old format (no surprise that didn't work for DSM6.1) and a couple of new format ones from genuine Syno boxes, including a DS3615xs but no luck.  Every time I check /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf I get the same message - SN format is wrong. 

What I figured out is that when I update the SN & MAC in grub editor, the activation.conf file isn't getting re-generated. (The time stamp on the file pre-dates my changes to SN & MAC.) So I renamed activation.conf in the hope a new file would be generated, but still no luck.  The renamed file is there, but no new one is generated.

So my question is this - when I change SN & MAC in grub, is there anything else I should be doing to make DSPhoto and DSVideo do the video conversion?? 

Note:

- I haven't registered the SNs on mysynology and don't really want to.

- I have no need or use for quickconnect or push notifications and no intention to use them.

- I didn't flash the syno MAC to my N54L but Synology Assistant has no problem seeing the box and always reports the SN and MAC that I entered in grub editor.

I know I could manually transcode code my videos but that's quite a job.  I prefer if DSPhoto and DSVideo would do it for me. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Been said countless times. In fact, reading a few posts above yours, answers your question.

3 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Been said countless times. In fact, reading a few posts above yours, answers your question.

Maybe I'm blind but I went through this thread countless times before posting and again now.  Some suggest only a valid serial no is needed for video conversion.  Most recent posts suggest a valid serial no + paired MAC is now needed.  I've used a valid new serial no and MAC pair and conversion still doesn't work - but otherwise DSM is running fine for me.  I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.  Do I need to register the SN?  Do I uninstall and reinstall DSVideo? Do I need to add all 4 MACs to the grub file? Do I need to do a fresh install of Xpenology???  Which post number tells me this??

15 minutes ago, gaskit said:

Maybe I'm blind but I went through this thread countless times before posting and again now.  Some suggest only a valid serial no is needed for video conversion.  Most recent posts suggest a valid serial no + paired MAC is now needed.  I've used a valid new serial no and MAC pair and conversion still doesn't work - but otherwise DSM is running fine for me.  I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.  Do I need to register the SN?  Do I uninstall and reinstall DSVideo? Do I need to add all 4 MACs to the grub file? Do I need to do a fresh install of Xpenology???  Which post number tells me this??

Thanks.  I read that too - it tells me generated serials don't work but I've tried genuine serials as well.  Most of the posts in this thread say using any genuine serial from an old Syno works but seemingly not for me. Reading your post I went and found a DS3615xs photo so I could try a model matched serial but still no go. So I concluded I must be doing something wrong :-(.  I figured my /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf files needs to get regenerated but don't know what causes this to happen.  Seemingly it's more than a change to grub file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a good SN & MAC , activation.conf {"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","hevc_dec"],"token":"5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1"}

But no HW transcoding h264 or hevc in Plex (i have plex pass) or Video station 

Any idea ?

THx

• 3 months later...

Ok after hours of reinstalling using DS916+, DS918+, the old Version of Video Station and many many  restarts i finally got it that the activation.conf looks right.

But...

when I start an offline transcoding the timer goes to (-1:-1:-1)

grafik.png.164112381ae4de2d543668cf43261962.png

and nothing happens.

Streaming over a device isnt possible.

But when i restart the Server with the Transcoding in the To-Do-List, it start when the Server is awake. But it is really slow (2h for 45mins of H265).

When the offline transcoding is running i can stream with lags over the browser.

When I stop the offline transcoding i can't restart it.

As well there is no gst-launch-1.0 process. Only ffmpeg is working.

I searched in the directory /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ and there is no gst-launch-1.0 file!

So I think the transcoding only works in the first seconds after the restart and stopps then.

Can someone help me?

My Setup:

Asrock J4205-ITX

Intel Pentium J4205

2x 4GB 1600mhz RAM

DS918+

DSM 6.2 (23739)

Jun's loader 103a2 with extra.lzma for DS918+ v0.5

Real MAC/SN

Edited by Profiler64
forgot something

• 1 month later...

Only using DS215J SN works for bare metal Xpenology HP microserver gen8

• Jun laoder 1.03b
  • DSM 6.2-23739
  • DS3617xs

I intall first time with the SN from https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html, but video station does NOT work at web browser, either mible phone, either offline transcoder. So I reinstall the sistem with the DS215J SN, using the reinstall option from the "Jun laoder", keeping all configuration and data. Now it works!!!

Thanks for the forum.

• 2 months later...

Was there a solution to this topic?

Is it possible to get video thumbnails without a valid, Serial/Mac pair  on 6.2 +

I'm on the latest 6.2 with 1.4 loader,  Ds3615xs and thumbs aren't working for my vids on two identical machine. 

Can someone tell me how i can get thumbnails for my home videos? even if it means having to reencode?

p.s there's a few videos that have thumbnails, but the rest (1000's) dont ive reindexed like a hundred times

moments 2.PNG