XPEnology Community

Is DSM checking SN for video conversion?

• 2 weeks later...

A valid SN is required but it's not required to have a valid MAC that match the SN... I'm on DSM 6.1 with the 3615 image.

To find a valid SN , you have to create an account and try some real SN and randomly change the last 3 numbers. There's a post explaining how to do it.

Next step: I'll try the 916 image but my NIC is not recognize with the 6.1 bootloader... I'll have to wait till the driver are made for the new bootloader...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I reinstall my xpeno in the last days, but after the new installation with the most recent loader for 6.1.3 the photo station cant convert some videos

Here is the error System failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/Folder/VID_20140215_221643584.mp4] to mpeg4.

Can anybody helpme?

16 hours ago, bglf83 said:

I have the same issue. It's a serial/Mac issue that I have not been able to solve yet.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

What you do to try to solve it?

i use a mac/sn valid but nothing :/ in some pages i read in somewhere is a new mac/sn generator, i search for few minutes but nothing...

I tried the other serial generator and still have the same issue. I am not sure how to solve, I am still working on it slowly.

For me this only impacts ds photo videos so it's not killing me. I am going to solve it though.

It does seem that the problem is caused by serial number or other check implemented by Synology, either in DSM or in Photo Station. My xPenology DS3615xs tells me 'Cannot display or playback this format, or the file is currently being converted.'

However, I have mounted my 'Photo' folder on my authentic DS1513+ Synology box, as a CIFS shared folder on my DS3615xs. Now, when I copy the relevant file from the Photo folder on my DS1513+ (Synology box) to the relevant Photo folder on my xPenology DS3615xs, and then run Photo Station on the xDS3615xs, the video will now play correctly. 

In my case I have my DS1513+ on ports http/https (5002/5003) and my xDS3615xs on ports http/https (5000/5001) and can access both via the Net.  Of course, Quick Connect can only be set up on the authentic DS1513+.

It's about time Synology started allowing people to buy a Synology license to run on 3rd party boxes.  Then they (Synology) wouldn't have to waste resources finding new ways to cripple their software when we try and adapt it to home built (non-Synology) platforms.  If Synology were to devote that energy to improving their platforms instead, DSM would improve faster and Synology would get revenue from the myriad xPenology users who would be happy to pay for a license for their 3rd party boxes, until such time as they decided to purchase a real Synology device because of the increasing capabilities and capacity of the newer Synology systems.

It sucks but I can confirm once you find a valid serial, the issue is resolved.

I am not sure if any of the generators actually work anymore.

Maybe try using Plex? I use that for videos and such. I only use DS Photo for syno apps.

14 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

It's about time Synology started allowing people to buy a Synology license to run on 3rd party boxes.  Then they (Synology) wouldn't have to waste resources finding new ways to cripple their software when we try and adapt it to home built (non-Synology) platforms.  If Synology were to devote that energy to improving their platforms instead, DSM would improve faster and Synology would get revenue from the myriad xPenology users who would be happy to pay for a license for their 3rd party boxes, until such time as they decided to purchase a real Synology device because of the increasing capabilities and capacity of the newer Synology systems.

No way. Most money Synology get is from the boxes (hardware) they sell, if you know that.

2 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

hi 

is this only happen dsm6.xxx or also with dsm 5.xxx?

thank you for your feedback.

Yes, DSM 5.x does not have this issue. I have a valid mac and serial and for me it works fine on DSM 6.0 as well.

Just buy a real box and use it's serial and use that as a "license" to use XPenology.