princerock

Is DSM checking SN for video conversion?

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Using Jun's loader 1.02a with 6.1.1update4. Everything was working fine until this weekend when I found a problem. I uploaded a couple of video's to photo station and noticed the system log says video conversion failed. Opened the log and found the following messages:

synocodectool: G1Licence.cpp:79 Licence not Success,error msg "SN format is wrong."
synocodectool: SYNOCodecPatentG1.cpp:236 ValidateG1Licence failed 
synoflvconv: synoflvconv.cpp:575 Failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/test/IMG_4444.MOV] to h.264 mp4.

So looks like synocodectool is checking SN before doing any video conversion. And somehow the SN format is wrong. I'm using the SN generated from "the new generator" (https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html), which has 13 digits (1*30LWN******). I've tried a couple others but got the same error. Then I tried the old format (10 digits) and still got the same error.

Since when did DSM begin to check SN when it does video conversion? Has anyone seen a similar issue?

I'm always under the impression that you only need an SN/MAC for Quick connect, which I don't really need. If DSM begins to enforce SN checking for vidoe conversion, that would have a bigger impact on Xpenology.

If anyone knows how to get around this, please let me know. Thank you!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yes, I noticed the same after upgrading to DSM 6.0.2. Configuring a valid serial and mac address solves this issue.

Edited by NeoID

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Looks like, at DSM 6.0, we need a working serial and mac address generator now (not just serial), right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Looks like that is the case even if you don't plan to use quick connect. NeoID has done some research on this. I'm just not sure what a valid SN is, and if the tool checks the MAC too. The error message only complains about the SN, but who knows what it really checks?

I'm wondering if this is a signal that Synology has started to add more checks to their code so that they can limit what non-authorized system (like Xpenology) can do. I didn't have this problem in 5.2.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Can someone share a valid MAC / SN for the DS3615xs with me? Please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

On 6/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, princerock said:

Using Jun's loader 1.02a with 6.1.1update4. Everything was working fine until this weekend when I found a problem. I uploaded a couple of video's to photo station and noticed the system log says video conversion failed. Opened the log and found the following messages:


synocodectool: G1Licence.cpp:79 Licence not Success,error msg "SN format is wrong."
synocodectool: SYNOCodecPatentG1.cpp:236 ValidateG1Licence failed 
synoflvconv: synoflvconv.cpp:575 Failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/test/IMG_4444.MOV] to h.264 mp4.

So looks like synocodectool is checking SN before doing any video conversion. And somehow the SN format is wrong. I'm using the SN generated from "the new generator" (https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html), which has 13 digits (1*30LWN******). I've tried a couple others but got the same error. Then I tried the old format (10 digits) and still got the same error.

Since when did DSM begin to check SN when it does video conversion? Has anyone seen a similar issue?

I'm always under the impression that you only need an SN/MAC for Quick connect, which I don't really need. If DSM begins to enforce SN checking for vidoe conversion, that would have a bigger impact on Xpenology.

If anyone knows how to get around this, please let me know. Thank you!

 

 

Yes I go the same problem!?

Sad to know that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

same here.

 

May I ask what kind of media triggers this log entry and failure?

 

I'm using latest DSM on ds3617sx synoboot.img with adjusted parameters in grub.cfg to match HW on USB and Asrock j3455itx-mini motherboard (Mac and SN) and have not experienced this issue yet.

 

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

audiostation trying to play an aacp radio url on my side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

audiostation trying to play an aacp radio url on my side


Interesting,
no promises but I'll see if I might be able to reproduce the problem and hopefully get anything useful out of it.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

can I ask what are you using to create SN/MAC pairs?

thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

http://80.86.106.143:9128/rockfm.aacp

 

this is the radio station I'm trying to listen to. It works ok from a real syno.

The error log states that :

 

017-06-22T00:36:22+03:00 synoVM synocodectool: G1Licence.cpp:79 Licence not Success,error msg "SN format is wrong."
2017-06-22T00:36:22+03:00 synoVM synocodectool: SYNOCodecPatentG1.cpp:183 ValidateG1Licence failed
2017-06-22T00:36:23+03:00 synoVM synocodectool: G1Licence.cpp:79 Licence not Success,error msg "SN format is wrong."
2017-06-22T00:36:23+03:00 synoVM synocodectool: SYNOCodecPatentG1.cpp:236 ValidateG1Licence failed

 

Something is generating this file :

 

/usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

 

I think this file is read by the application. No idea what generates it though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Just fixed my issue by following a howto on other sites on how to generate the SN/MAC pairs.

 

The other that have the same issue, please note that there is a specific algorithm that binds the SN you use with the MAC you need to set. I think I am not allowed anymore to put links to this kind of sites on this forum, but google is your friend.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

9 hours ago, mitzone said:

Just fixed my issue by following a howto on other sites on how to generate the SN/MAC pairs.

 

The other that have the same issue, please note that there is a specific algorithm that binds the SN you use with the MAC you need to set. I think I am not allowed anymore to put links to this kind of sites on this forum, but google is your friend.

Thanks for the direction.
Yes, it still works. I generated three pairs of SN / MAC for my servers (from a real pair SN / MAC on photo from the internet) and was able to register and get working Push-notifications. I do not use QuickConnect, only Push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

3 minutes ago, aleksey_z said:

Thanks for the direction.
Yes, it still works. I generated three pairs of SN / MAC for my servers (from a real pair SN / MAC on photo from the internet) and was able to register and get working Push-notifications. I do not use QuickConnect, only Push.

 

Push notifications should also be considered as abusing Synology's services similar to QuickConnect. As stated in the description, the service is using Synology's email servers. Just configure email notifications and use a Gmail account as provider.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

10 minutes ago, NeoID said:

 

Push notifications should also be considered as abusing Synology's services similar to QuickConnect. As stated in the description, the service is using Synology's email servers. Just configure email notifications and use a Gmail account as provider.

Not much is sent by Push-notifications to be seen as the abuse of Synology services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

20 minutes ago, aleksey_z said:

Not much is sent by Push-notifications to be seen as the abuse of Synology services.

 

If you use Synology's email notification services, from where do you think the push notifications emails are sent from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

 

If you use Synology's email notification services, from where do you think the push notifications emails are sent from?

No, I do not use the Synology email notification service.

For the notification service by email, I use my own smtp server installed on one of my servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

4 minutes ago, aleksey_z said:

No, I do not use the Synology email notification service.

For the notification service by email, I use my own smtp server installed on one of my servers.

Then that's ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

the same problem from 6.0.2 update to  6.1.2-15132  video station can only play with  source. High middle or low can`t play .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

2 часа назад, stc4672544 сказал:

the same problem from 6.0.2 update to  6.1.2-15132  video station can only play with  source. High middle or low can`t play .

 

what version you use? 361X or 916+ ?

afaik, 361X have software transcoding functional and 916+ have hardware transcoding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, Lordbl4 said:

 

what version you use? 361X or 916+ ?

afaik, 361X have software transcoding functional and 916+ have hardware transcoding

use 3617xs version with loader 1.02b 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now