XPEnology Community

HP Microserver G8 Baremetal upgrade to 6.1

sandisxxx

Hello community, I was googling for an hour now and was not able to find any guide how to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.1.X on my HP MS G8.

Using Jun's loader for the 6.0.2 booting from USB.

Please send me a link or advice, how I can upgrade without loosing the Config and Data.

Thanks

Hi.

1. Before any upgrade please take a full backup of your important data. 
  2. There is no "Do it so and it will work!" guide.
  3. I can describe how I updated my bare-metal systems from 6.0.X to 6.1.1 (including a Gen8 MS)

- Backup your data
    - Disable any SSD cache
    - Shut down your server
    - Unplug your boot stick or micro-sd from the server and open it's grub.cfg
    - Write down the important modifications and entries like serial no., macs, sataportmap, etc.
    - You can either write the new synoboot.img to your old boot device or use a new one
    - Download the 1.02a2 image for DS3615XS from here: https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!Fwki3A4B
    - Use a tool like OSFMount to mount the synoboot.img (15MB partition) and uncheck the "read-only" option, open it's the grub.cfg
    - Check the VID & PID of your new device or (if you intend to use your old boot medium) use the old values
    - Fill in the entries mentioned above (vid, pid, serial, etc.)
    - Save the image and unmount it
    - Write the image to your desired boot medium with Win32Diskimager, plug it into to your server and let it boot
    - Download the official PAT file from Synology: https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.1/15101/DSM_DS3615xs_15101.pat
    - Select "Manual update" and upload the previously downloaded PAT
    - Confirm the update and let the server reboot (this can take a little bit more time as usual)
    - If anything went smooth you should be able to re-login into DSM
    - Apply actual Update 4 and after another reboot everything should be finished

Edited by jensmander
  • Like 1

Just tried this topic, but there is only the bootloader for the DS3617XS. (1.02a2)
So, I tried the DS3617XS version with the original PAT-File, but I cant install it, it hangs on 52% (comes with an error code: Fail to update the file The file is probably corrupt (13)

Does somebody have a fix for this one?

1 hour ago, XPyno said:

From what I have read the microserver gen8 needs the1.02a image for DS3615XS or there will be later some error during the installation procedure.

Finnaly got it working with the DS3615xs Version.

Yeah you are right here, I've used the V1.02a version of the Bootloader "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha", this in combination with the original .Pat file ( https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.1/15101/DSM_DS3615xs_15101.pat )

After you change the entries like "vid, pid, serial, etc." it will work just fine.

Thanks all for the replies, especially jensmander.

Will give it a shot and I believe, with your instructions, it will be just fine.

Will try to report back when done.

I have also a testing VM for experiments, so first I will give it a try in the VM environment.

Cheers.

Hello some body else can confirm the post of @blue-label1989  successfully migrate from DS3615xs, Current DSM version: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 with Jun's loader v1.01 to the newer version !

On 6/15/2017 at 0:36 AM, blue-label1989 said:

Finnaly got it working with the DS3615xs Version.

I've used the V1.02a version of the Bootloader "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha", this in combination with the original .Pat file ( https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.1/15101/DSM_DS3615xs_15101.pat )

After you change the entries like "vid, pid, serial, etc." it will work just fine.

How stable the system is and if other problems observed ?