XPEnology Community

New Hardware for DSM 6.1

IceBoosteR

Question

Hi guys,

and hello there! Yes this is my first post but I really have a important question regartding the hardware for the new bootloader of DSM 6.1.

I have tried jun's loader in a virtual machine on my esxi server and it worked quite well, without any issues.

Now I see that sonn there will be the release version of this loader, and I want to do my backup with DSM. I want to go bare-metal for this, and as AMD is not that good suppoeted yet, I was looking for some new hardware.

Especially I want to use the Intel Pentium G4560, as it is close to the models Synology is using, and this one is dedicated for DSM only, so hopefully this is enough power. Then the question is, ECC RAM or not? As this is only a backup I dont think so. On hte other side, does DSM benefit or use ECC? Or is it just a motherboard-thing? Because on this question the motherboard depends on. Going from a simple 60$ board to a 110$ workstation board, or to a 200$ server grade motherboard. There is also the question of the amount of RAM. I think, 4GB is enough, but I dont mind to go with 8 (those 20 bucks doesn't matter).

OR do you say: Just go with a VM in ESXi, it is also fine :wink:

I would really like to hear your suggestion in this, as you have more experience with the hardware.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

In terms of memory BTRFS does not require ECC. If you're trying to build a system on the cheap my recommendation would be go for a good known brand such as Crucial or Kingston. Also don't buy memory marketed towards gamers as they tend to be of lower quality and optimised for low latency which you don't need.

Another thing I would suggest is to run memtest for at least 4/5 passes whenever dedicating a machine for mass storage just to double check there aren't any inherent issues with integrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In terms of memory BTRFS does not require ECC. If you're trying to build a system on the cheap my recommendation would be go for a good known brand such as Crucial or Kingston. Also don't buy memory marketed towards gamers as they tend to be of lower quality and optimised for low latency which you don't need.

Another thing I would suggest is to run memtest for at least 4/5 passes whenever dedicating a machine for mass storage just to double check there aren't any inherent issues with integrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi and thank you for your input.

Well if ECC is not necessary - well then I can save some bucks with the mothermoard.

Great! :wink:

(This puppy should backup my FreeNAS ZFS build ^^ )