XPEnology Community

Tutorial: DSM 6.x on Proxmox

fonix232

19 hours ago, arkilee said:

Thank you for the tips.

I try UEFI bios as you said, then change boot order in bios and save it.

But in my proxmox, bios change does not seem to be persistent when you poweroff the vm.

It only seems be persistent on a reboot or reset;

Hi. That's weird. I tested it a minute ago. My "bios" doesn't loose it's settings. There's no difference if i reboot or shutdown VM. I even rebooted fully Proxmox server and i checked it in bios. USB is still on first place. And every setting i have made in bios stays that way. Maybe you have some different (older) Proxmox version? 

4.jpg

2 hours ago, sloniu82 said:

Can someone tell me how to passthru HDD with all smart data?

About me to get my "HDD passthru", I did a "sata controller passthrough" to the vm.

It looks like some motherboard can passtrough internal sata controller, I didn't succeed with mine.

So I bought a 20$ pci-express sata iii controller, and a successfully passtrough the added sata controller.
And I can see disk with real name and SMART data and all work well so far. :smile:

Edited by arkilee
didn't see magura message about hdd passtrough and smart data

36 minutes ago, hellbondz said:

Hi. That's weird. I tested it a minute ago. My "bios" doesn't loose it's settings. There's no difference if i reboot or shutdown VM. I even rebooted fully Proxmox server and i checked it in bios. USB is still on first place. And every setting i have made in bios stays that way. Maybe you have some different (older) Proxmox version? 

Yeah that's weird, I have a proxmox from 2 years ago which I did update up to 5.0-31 ... maybe something wrong with my proxmox.
Can you tell me what value did you put for "boot" and "bootdisk" in your <vmid>.conf ?

48 minutes ago, arkilee said:

About me to get my "HDD passthru", I did a "sata controller passthrough" to the vm.

It looks like some motherboard can passtrough internal sata controller, I didn't succeed with mine.

So I bought a 20$ pci-express sata iii controller, and a successfully passtrough the added sata controller.
And I can see disk with real name and SMART data and all work well so far. :smile:

Well, this is not working on my test PC, will see if this problem exist on my main server (ML10 gen9).

But I think you can't passthru internal sata controller while using it as boot device for proxmox (in my configuration one disk is for pve and it's local storage)

Anyway, disk smart data passthru is not a deal breaker here, I can still manage SMART tests on proxmox side (using cron and smartctl with email notifications)

On 9/21/2017 at 2:24 AM, arkilee said:

(...)
Can you tell me what value did you put for "boot" and "bootdisk" in your <vmid>.conf ?

Here it is:

args: -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=synoboot,drive=synoboot'
balloon: 128
bios: ovmf
boot: c
cores: 4
efidisk0: local:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,size=128K
hotplug: disk,usb
memory: 3072
name: MxxSN-01
net0: e1000=00:11:32:2C:A7:85,bridge=vmbr1
net1: e1000=00:15:17:7C:F8:66,bridge=vmbr2
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sata0: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST
sata1: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC
sata2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC
sata3: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC
sata5: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=b0081c2c-8ad9-42ae-ab51-9f260e2e946b
sockets: 1

On 9/21/2017 at 7:13 PM, hellbondz said:

efidisk0: local:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,size=128K

Oh thank you, I just noticed that I didn't create a efidisk which seems to store the bios changes. LoL.

Well actually I didn't know about that as I never used OVMF (UEFI) bios before. :smile:
I think this may solves all the usb boot issue I guess :).

Thanks for the tutorial. I can boot, but I do not find it with the synology assistant. Even no DHCP Address is taken from the router.

My config:

args: -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/synoboot.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=synoboot,drive=synoboot'
bios: ovmf
boot: c
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-3,size=128K
memory: 2000
name: testserver
net0: e1000=00:11:32:2C:A7:85,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-2,size=52M
sata1: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=550G
scsihw: megasas
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=f62c1521-1373-4054-bca6-67aa1b4bcd59
sockets: 1

Maybe someone can help me.

Regards

Hi all,

short question - if I (for testing) create some virtual disks (only SATA works) I get Failure at Installation that Harddisks could not be formated? I choose RAW-Format for some virtual disks...?

For the future - in my actual live-system (DSM 5.2) I have 7(!) harddisks assigned via scsi because sata only allows 6 drives. So first steps with the loader scsi doesn't work. Does anybody passthrough the controller and get the harddrives to work?

Best regards

Martin

hi guys

I have one question

when i add a disk with

qm set 100 -sata1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-1

if this disk is formated with ext3 or ext4 with datas, xpenology doesn't recognize my data, i can only format.

Is it possible to add disks already formatted in ext3 or ext4.

my goal is to be able to plug this disk in case of an emergency to another pc with ubuntu for example.

thank you

17 hours ago, ptitours said:

hi guys

I have one question

when i add a disk with

qm set 100 -sata1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-1

if this disk is formated with ext3 or ext4 with datas, xpenology doesn't recognize my data, i can only format.

Is it possible to add disks already formatted in ext3 or ext4.

my goal is to be able to plug this disk in case of an emergency to another pc with ubuntu for example.

thank you

I'm not sure, but I think that DSM only mount external disks (USB oraz ESATA ) as volume not managed by DSM.

This how it works in real Synology.

You can try to passthru drive as USB device

On 24.09.2017 at 10:20 PM, obimichael said:

Thanks for the tutorial. I can boot, but I do not find it with the synology assistant. Even no DHCP Address is taken from the router.

My config:

Maybe someone can help me.

Regards

Can you boot jun's bootloader as baremetal on your hardware? 

I'm asking, because my first proxmox test system was sitting on old atom D410 ITX motherboard. And on this hardware jun's loader couldn't boot (as kvm virtual machine or baremetal).

So even KVM virtualization couldn't cheat hardware incompability. (probably some unsupported CPU instructions used in loader kernel) 

Edited by sloniu82

19 hours ago, sloniu82 said:

I'm not sure, but I think that DSM only mount external disks (USB oraz ESATA ) as volume not managed by DSM.

This how it works in real Synology.

You can try to passthru drive as USB device

so , the solution is to format through dsm and after my disks will be able to be read with another system as ubuntu...

14 hours ago, ptitours said:

so , the solution is to format through dsm and after my disks will be able to be read with another system as ubuntu...

I don't think than is the best option - if you do that way you will need to play with raid array using mdadm (DSM always creates raid partition, even with one disk)

What i tryied to say last time, DSM mounts used filesystems only if it is a USB or ESTA (ie external) disk.

If you connect USB drive, you can format this drive as ext3/4 event from DSM, and it will be readable in ubuntu.

I've done quick test - added this to args line in qm.conf file:

args:  -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=synoboot,file=/synoboot-virtio.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=synoboot,drive=synoboot' -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci,addr=0x1b' -drive 'id=testusb,file=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3320613AS_xxxxxxxx,size=320071851520,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=testusb,drive=testusb'

This emulates two usb devices in our qm: 

#1 jun's bootloader as USB1

#2 phisical disk as USB2

After restart you can find in DSM that phisical HDD is passthru as USB disk (this is my test hdd so you see mdadm dsm's partitions there)

DSM Proxmox external device

You can format drive (or partition) to ext4 or FAT32 and at the end DSM will automaticly mount this new volume as usbshare.

USB2.JPG.62a547c54cfe7afeec713acaec65ed8b.JPG

This partition is a normal ext4 filesystem, that you can mount wherever you want.

I can't tell you that this is the best way to do what you want.

Maybe someone smarter/better in proxmox/kvm's configuration know better way to do this.

I hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, thanks for all your posts, I will try in this days to migrate my bare metal asrock q1900-itx to proxmox. 

I'm not so sure how to proceed. I will write proxmox on a usb drive, is it possible to install it on a pendrive or should I install on HD? 

Than I will create a new VM and should I pass-through the entire HD and than format from XPE?

On 6/20/2017 at 9:56 PM, ma2002 said:

hi all

this file add virtio-net

can anyone share how to include virtio-scsi?

synoboot2.img

Thanks, this one works for me for gigabit speeds. Using CIFS to/from Windows hosts been able to push 500Mbps. (45MB/s consistent)

I haven't been able to figure out how to make it boot automatically without having to hit ESC key, I tried "boot: 3" (option 3 is the usb disk) but did not work. Anyone figure it out?

just wanted to chime in here and thank you guys for your .img file with the virtio drivers baked in.  We're using it as a jumping point for an unraid docker that's working great.  I updated your .img file to contain the 9p drivers as well...   thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I'm using @hellbondz way to boot vm from img (using uefi). 

Everything is working well so far.

Few days ago I installed second Xpenology VM to test updates (with quemu disks only to use snapshots).

What I found in console after loader boot, that MAC address is the same as my main xpeno box. (So there is MAC conflict in my LAN)

Then I checkd that my production box is not using my generated MAC/Serial, but this default shipped with loader.

What could cause this?

I think there's a problem with VID/PID when using virtual device as usb loader - maybe thats why loader gets their default values)

I tried to pass vendorid=0xxxxx,productid=0xxxxx to device section in vm.conf, but vm not starting after that.

So once again I looking for proper way to automatically boot jun's loader in proxmox enviroment :?

• 2 weeks later...

Proxmox & xpenology user here, confirm that pci-e passthrough : 40CAD 16 port SATA(9200-16e) working just fine, will not worry about adding HDDs any more lol

6Gbps x 16 card, not top of the tier but if you are using HDDs only,  that would be a perfect choice.

Passing UPS via USB.

dsm_16port_passthrough.png

• 2 weeks later...