XPEnology Community

Tutorial: DSM 6.x on Proxmox

fonix232

I was successful in installing a working synology on proxmox after fiddling with a lot of settings.

Proxmox Version: 6.2-4
Jun's Loader version: 1.03b DS3615
DSM: DS3615xs 6.2.1-23824 Update 6

synoboot modification and serial number generation as per guide from here 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

use step 4 only and you need to generate and add serial number and mac address only in the image. You can discard all other instructions.

*****Proxmox Pactching****

ssh into the proxmox and make the following changes.

# make backup
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i 's/|e1000|/|e1000|e1000e|/' /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js
sed -i "/\['e1000', 'Intel E1000'\],/a \      ['e1000e', 'Intel e1000e']," /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js.e1000e

# make backup
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i "s/'e1000',  'pcnet'/'e1000', 'e1000e', 'pcnet'/" /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.e1000e

# make changes take effect
service pveproxy restart
service pvedaemon restart

After the above changes logout, close the browser and login again to proxmox otherwise network card e1000e will not be seen. (Browser cache issue).

Create VM with following parameters

General : 
    Name : Synology  (any name can be given)
    Please note the VMID, you need it in below steps.
    OS   : Do not use any media
    Type : Linux
    Version: 5.X - 2.6 Kernel

System :
    SCSI Controller : MagaRAID SAS 8708EM2

Hardisk :
    Bus/Device : SATA  1 (important to set to SATA 1)
    Storage : Select the storage domain you have in proxmox
    Disk Size: What ever you need in diskstation

CPU :
    Socket : 1 As per your need
    Cores : 4 as per need
    Type: Default (kvm64)

Memory : 2000 As per need

Network : 
    Model : intel e1000e  (This will only come after tweaking proxmox)
    Disable firewall
    Set mac address as per synoboot modification

After saving of machine go to

Hardware > Machine > Select q35

Transfer the synoboot image to /var/lib/vz/images/<VMID>/    (<VMID> number noted above)

Open Putty and execute the following command

qm importdisk <VMID> /var/lib/vz/images/<VMID>/synoboot.img VM_and_ISO  (change parameters as per your setup, I have VMID as 102 and VM_and_ISO is my storage domain for VM's)

qm set <VMID> -serial0 socket   (To add a serial port)

The newly imported disk still appears as Unused Disk 0 in the hardware settings, double-click and add as SATA Disk 0

SATA Disk 0 as boot device

Now boot the machine and use synology assistant to find your machine and continue the setup.

*** To view terminal messages use putty with command  qm terminal <VMID>  *******

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 1:02 PM, Tony Kerala said:

*****Proxmox Pactching****

ssh into the proxmox and make the following changes.

# make backup
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js.dist
# add e1000e

Is any one experiencing random 5-15 seconds network drops? This error is from Proxmox log: e1000e Reset adapter unexpectedly / Detected Hardware Unit Hang.

And after googling there is a lot of problems with E1000e card https://serverfault.com/questions/616485/e1000e-reset-adapter-unexpectedly-detected-hardware-unit-hang

https://bit.ly/3eckFuY

23 hours ago, alexsahka said:

Is any one experiencing random 5-15 seconds network drops?

Find the solution:  https://itniels.com/2019/10/28/proxmox-5x-e1000-driver-hang-fix/

Steps are:

1 Install ethtool on the proxmox host.

apt-get install ethtool

2 Run two commands after (assuming interface card is eno1)

ethtool -K eno1 gso off gro off tso off tx off rx off

pcie_aspm=off

Edited by alexsahka

• 2 months later...

I've noticed that sometimes my Xpenology does not start properly... It hangs after boot where it says that we can connect the ip or search in Synology Assistant...

Tried already a couple of bootloaders and the result is the same...

To have Xpenology running properly I need to stop/restart the vm in proxmox until I get it to work...

Any idea on why this behavior or how to troubleshoot?

Edited by rcaldeira

I've been running xpenology on bare hardware for a long time, but I'm thinking of switching to proxmox.

My goal is to merge my Plex server into the xpenology server with a passthru GPU for transcoding.

My current xpenoloy server is a older Xyratec Hs-1235t running 12 drives off the same lsi controller.

(It's been really stable, running DSM 6.1.6-15266, and 2 or 3 virtual machines on VMM)

The system I've put together for proxmox is the following.

Supermicro X9DRW-iF motherboard, Dual E5-2620v2, 32GB ram, in a 12Bay Hotswap case.

Paired with a LSI SAS2008 HBA, with the other 4 xpenology drives hooked to the Motherboard 6 port sata controller.

Proxmox is installed on the 4 Port SCU controller off the motherboard. So I have a total of 14 drive ports available for xpenology.

(Proxmox is installed on 2 ssd's on a zfs raid mounted internally, so I still have my 12 hotswap bays for xpenology)

I've got PCIe passthru working, and I've got debian 10 running with the LSI and the 6 port sata controller passed to that virtual machine.

My questions are, is passthru the way to go in this situation?

Or should I just do the map by disk ID instead? Any advantages/disadvantages on each method?

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, wenlez said:

I recently moved from ESX6.7 to Proxmox 6, with loader 1.04b. For Network, I can use E1000 and VMXNet3 from Proxmox, and DSM would recognize the ethernet as 1GB/s.  In ESX, the VMXNet3 was recognize as 10GB connection.    Anyone got VirtIO network to work?  or how to archive 10GB network? 

Dear wenlez,

have you found solution for 10Gb connection issue?

Thank you,

bgabika

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone get the i40e drivers working for proxmox to enable 10gb? I have the intel x710 and I want to use one of the 10gb ports for the VM. The onyl options in the hypervisor are the e1000, virtio, realtek, vmxnet3. I find only the e1k and vmx profiles work but only provide a 1gb virtual nic to the VM.

Spoiler

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-T
        Kernel driver in use: i40e
        Kernel modules: i40e

• 1 month later...

For a while...i woke up the next day and couldn't access web again. why would it go off after a while? can i get e1000 to work?

So i had xpenology running great for about a year on pve 6.0-?. This week i upgraded to 6.3-4 and surprising the e1000e was still an option. However i chose it and got an error. So i tried e1000 adapter. which strangely worked on my other instance of pve 6.3-3. (dell r610) But decided not to work on this one.(optiplex 980 or something) So i made the config changes to the network adapters and was able to get e1000e to work again.

For a while...i woke up the next day and couldn't access web again. why would it go off after a while? can i get e1000 to work?

I am trying to passtrough LSI SAS controller flashed in IT mode. When I add it to Xpenology DS918 VM in Proxmox as pci device, DSM store management shows only 6 drives - 2 Xpenology drives (boot and system) and 4 hdds instead of 6 (there is space for 16 drives). Anyone know how to fix it?

There is no such thing as a "system" disk; DSM installs to all disks in your system.  The guides for installation on virtual usually have a step for the creation of a 16GB virtual disk but there is nothing special or required about it if you intend to use other storage devices.

SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap are grub.cfg arguments.  If they are properly configured, you should not see the loader device at all.  Between the two, they give you the ability to place the controller ports exactly where they need to be in the UI port enumeration map (which corresponds to /dev/sda.../dev/sdl). It's different for each installation where changes are needed. I suggest you search for some relevant threads containing these terms and learn about it.

Here are a couple of links to get you started, but I do strongly urge you to find some relevant examples on your own.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/?do=findComment&comment=195191 (read from that post to the issue conclusion)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35937-configuring-sataportmap

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know if something like this exists for 6.2.3?

QEMU Guest Agent for FreeBSD 12.1 - DSM 6.x - XPEnology Community

I sorely miss this feature :(  

Basically I need the spk for xpe's qemu guest agent for 6.2.3.

Is there a way to get 1GbE quad port card working with DS918 (I would like to bond 4 ports in it). I had edit grub.cfg with 4 mac adresses (instead of original 2), passed 4 pci devices by Proxmox to Xpenology but in DSM/network/network interfaces, there is only LAN1 (virtual intel E1000) and LAN2 (one port from quad card). When I delete Virtual intel card there is also only 2 LAN ports (both from passed card). Is there some way to edit it so DSM will see all 4 ports or it is not possible/ some limit of ds918?

Edited by ruffpl

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2017 at 12:42 PM, lemon55 said:

In fact, everything is much simpler!

1. Create HDD, I did SATA0, RAW format (because synology.img is a RAW disk)

2. Replace the resulting disk**1**.raw file with synology.img (where it lies) with renaming.

3. In the UI, we remove the disk (once!). It will become disabled. Then click on it two times - connect sata0, raw. It will be displayed as 50mb.

4. Profit!!!

Only e1000, this has already been discussed - Virtio does not work!

thank you, @lemon55. i just got my xpenology online on Proxmox 7.0. somehow I cannot mount synoboot.img using the @fonix232 usb method. it seems does not work on Proxmox 7.0. maybe there are different arguments for proxmox 7.0.

if there any other member that can mount using usb method on Proxmox 7.0, do share.

Proxmox Version: 7.0-8
Jun's Loader version: v1.03b DS3615xs
DSM: DS3615xs 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

Edited by beatmech
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I've just updated Proxmox to 7.1-7.  Due to boot errors after electicity outages, I tried and tried install, re-install, reconfigure grub, etc. My old ML330 henceforth needs Clover to boot like UEFI (give idea to add NVME).

In short, for e1000e mod, just know that the pvemanager.lib.js file has changed content and location. It is a subdirectory below /usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js

The changes to make are the same.

And it works again

Why bother with modding pve, when you could add IG-88's extra.lzma to your loader image and use the vmxnet3 nic instead?

As a bonus, you won't be limited with 1gbps speed with vm's on the same host (given they use vmxnet3 or virtio based nics) anymore.

Each of my three pve hosts has a 10gbps nic and get close to 10gbps from my Jun's 6.2.3 instance that uses vmxnet3, expect with the vm's on the same host, which tend to be around 25gbps.

Edited by haydibe