XPEnology Community

Tutorial: DSM 6.x on Proxmox

fonix232

I recently moved from ESX6.7 to Proxmox 6, with loader 1.04b. For Network, I can use E1000 and VMXNet3 from Proxmox, and DSM would recognize the ethernet as 1GB/s.  In ESX, the VMXNet3 was recognize as 10GB connection.    Anyone got VirtIO network to work?  or how to archive 10GB network? 

Good morning, everyone, 

I managed to install Xpeno on a proxmox vm with the 1.03b loader. I am currently in 6.2-23739.

I'm looking to update to 6.2.2.2-24922. When I do, my Xpeno doesn't work anymore. 

I don't know if this is due to the fact that we can't update it (I looked but didn't find the info) or if it's my vm that's badly made. 

I put below a screen of my vm. 

Could you tell me if I need to change anything if I do? 

image.png.908c385a076b6ee774d94d0b23e2f510.png

Edited by BenouLM

Hello all :-)

INTRO
For the past few days I'm trying to install XPEnology on Proxmox 6.0-7 - my initial efforts are described here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21323-install-error-13-62-ds918-on-proxmox-60-7/?tab=comments#comment-122135

Since then I read and read and read and this is a lot to process :-) I'm looking for your help and advice to make sure I'm getting this right.

I'm also relative n00b with Proxmox, although I like to think my Linux-fu is satisfactory.

GOAL

My platform is Celeron J1900, I want to pass through single SATA drive. I'd like to run 918+ newest software (6.2.2-?) since this is the hardware I have elsewhere, but if for some reason it is impossible I can settle for 3617xs (which seems to be more popular/tested here). I'm not really sure what's the difference between 918+ and 3617xs...

QUESTIONS

1. I read a smart advice here to have a duplicate VM on which to test software upgrades - but I'm not sure how to do that, given that I have just 1 passthrough drive?

2. I read a (smart?) advice to use loader as USB, so the drive is not seen in DSM interface (is that correct?) but I'm not sure if this advice is still valid? And how to do it?

3. As I understand, it is not possible (?) to get directly to 6.2.2 (at least I tried&failed), so should first start with loader 1.03b to install 6.1, and then loader 1.04 to upgrade to 6.2.2? Am I getting this right?

4. Earlier in this topic someone prepared 1.02 loader with virtio net driver, but I understand this will not allow to get to 6.2.2, and instead e1000e driver has to be used, correct?

To sum up, what I'm asking for is an updated tutorial - there are 2 or 3 tutorials here for XPEnology@Proxmox, but they seem to be for older versions of both Proxmox (which I think doesn't matter much) and XPEnology (which matters a lot :) ). I've yet to find a post that describes how to approach upgrading the system when new software version comes up.

For my part, I promise I will write down such a tutorial with screenshots when I finally succeed with installation according to the GOAL stated above :-)

Hi @stasheck

I finally managed to install Xpenology after having spent hours ! Even if everything is working now, I would not be able to tell you exactly what I really did well to make it work !!! (given that I discovered I had a faulty motherboard/bios not really able to deal with DSMAR table and so I had to use the unsafe_interrupt method within proxmox, and I am not able to tell how it might have affected my xpenology installation...)

I hope you will get some more precise help form experts, but I can provide some partial outputs :

1/ I never managed to install  918+ nor loader 1.04, I was getting a fatal error during installation (I do not remember precisely error details)

2/ ds3617 xs was working with 6.2.1 but I was unable to update to 24922.pat or higher, it was also crashing

3/ I so use ds3615xs with 1.03b. I firstly installed 6.2.1 then update to 6.2.2 (I kept 1.03b)

4/ Yes I use e1000e nic drivers, implemented following the @blessendor method

5/ I did not managed neither to use virtual USB key for loading, I had to use sata disk. And the boot disk does appear in HDD manager but normally I depends of your choice in the loader boot menu (baremetal or VMware options)

6/ I firstly managed to get xpenology working and updated before any device passthrough

I was finally able to passthrough 1 PCIe sata controleur card with 5 sata disks and USB + 3 other sata disks directly

I hope this partial feedback will give you some clues. And do not give up, it should finally work fine also ;) ! 

... even if I am quite anxious about the moment the next update will show up !!!

Good luck

image.thumb.png.346094f38298294e723eff92e2be5dfe.png

Edited by vinceg77
  • Thanks 1

Seems that I just HAVE TO get stupid problems.

I tried to enable e1000e selection as per @blessendor post (#177), and it doesn't work - when I try to select e1000e, I get:

obraz.png.24faafc0b345c3fe4510d2011983c6d8.png

I also tried to just edit vmid.conf to include e1000e, but then the interface is not visible in VM at all.

I tried googling a bit and seems like a generic JSON processing error, I have no idea where to look to fix this 😕 Any ideas?

Edited by stasheck

1 hour ago, blessendor said:

'Edit' is not available anymore - so I can't update original post.

Ah, of course 😕 I never understood why some forums block that.

Anyway, success! Smooth as butter once correct options are set. Tomorrow I'll try to sum up exactly "the current state of Proxmox installation" :-)

All right, here's a tutorial for what worked for me.

Proxmox version: 6.0-7

Proxmox hardware: Celeron J1900, Proxmox on an SSD, single SATA HDD (WDC).

Loader used: Jun's loader 1.03b

DSM software used: DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

First, patch Proxmox so it allows for e1000e network card selection:

# make backup
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i 's/|e1000|/|e1000|e1000e|/' /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js
sed -i "/\['e1000', 'Intel E1000'\],/a \      ['e1000e', 'Intel e1000e']," /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js.e1000e

# make backup
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i "s/'e1000',  'pcnet'/'e1000', 'e1000e', 'pcnet'/" /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.e1000e

# make changes take effect
service pveproxy restart
service pvedaemon restart

Then create new VM <vmid>, important settings are:

CPU = KVM64

BIOS = SeaBIOS

MACHINE = Q35

SCSIHW = MegaSAS

NETWORK = e1000e

I admit I have not tested all possible combinations, but I know I had to set the above to get successful boot.

Next, copy loader to /var/lib/vz/images/<vmid>/synoboot.img

My <vmid.conf> file looks like this (it's passing entire drive, but not controller):

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-ctl-synoboot,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=usb-drv-synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/images/105/synoboot.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=usb-stor-synoboot,bootindex=1,removable=off,drive=usb-drv-synoboot'
balloon: 0
bios: seabios
boot: c
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
machine: q35
memory: 4096
name: <cut>
net0: e1000e=<cut>,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sata0:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EFRX-<cut>,size=1953514584K
scsihw: megasas
serial0: socket
smbios1: <cut>
sockets: 1
startup: order=5
vmgenid: <cut>

I know that there are reason not to use args:, but for me this resulted in booting from USB and the boot drive is not visible in Synology Manager, so I will not be changing that. I also used nec-usb-xhci so I can try to use USB3.0 passthrough, but that's something to try later.

After booting (I used 3rd boot option, VMWare) I opened the Synology installer website and used the newest possible software to install - everything went smoothly.

Hope this helps someone down the line :-)

Edited by stasheck
  • Like 1

Ok for me I followed the same method of stasheck and it works except for a few small changes except that I indicate below: 

I followed this tutorial here

Configuring my machine: 

Proxmox version: 6.0-7

Proxmox hardware: Pentium g3220, Proxmox on an SSD, single SATA HDD.

Loader used: Jun's loader 1.03b

DSM software used: DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

VM :

CPU = KVM64

BIOS = SeaBIOS

MACHINE = Q35

SCSIHW = MegaSAS

NETWORK = e1000e

image.png.52b393943db922a38ffe7e7353a19304.png

Thank you stasheck

If it helps.

Le 01/10/2019 à 10:42, stasheck a dit :

All right, here's a tutorial for what worked for me.

Proxmox version: 6.0-7

Proxmox hardware: Celeron J1900, Proxmox on an SSD, single SATA HDD (WDC).

Loader used: Jun's loader 1.03b

DSM software used: DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

First, patch Proxmox so it allows for e1000e network card selection:

# make backup
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i 's/|e1000|/|e1000|e1000e|/' /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js
sed -i "/\['e1000', 'Intel E1000'\],/a \      ['e1000e', 'Intel e1000e']," /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js /usr/share/pve-manager/pvemanagerlib.js.e1000e

# make backup
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.dist
# add e1000e
sed -i "s/'e1000',  'pcnet'/'e1000', 'e1000e', 'pcnet'/" /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm
# backup updated script
cp /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm.e1000e

# make changes take effect
service pveproxy restart
service pvedaemon restart

Then create new VM <vmid>, important settings are:

CPU = KVM64

BIOS = SeaBIOS

MACHINE = Q35

SCSIHW = MegaSAS

NETWORK = e1000e

I admit I have not tested all possible combinations, but I know I had to set the above to get successful boot.

Next, copy loader to /var/lib/vz/images/<vmid>/synoboot.img

My <vmid.conf> file looks like this (it's passing entire drive, but not controller):

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-ctl-synoboot,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=usb-drv-synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/images/105/synoboot.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=usb-stor-synoboot,bootindex=1,removable=off,drive=usb-drv-synoboot'
balloon: 0
bios: seabios
boot: c
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
machine: q35
memory: 4096
name: <cut>
net0: e1000e=<cut>,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sata0:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EFRX-<cut>,size=1953514584K
scsihw: megasas
serial0: socket
smbios1: <cut>
sockets: 1
startup: order=5
vmgenid: <cut>

I know that there are reason not to use args:, but for me this resulted in booting from USB and the boot drive is not visible in Synology Manager, so I will not be changing that. I also used nec-usb-xhci so I can try to use USB3.0 passthrough, but that's something to try later.

After booting (I used 3rd boot option, VMWare) I opened the Synology installer website and used the newest possible software to install - everything went smoothly.

Hope this helps someone down the line :-)

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I have a problem. I need to connect 10 hard drives to xpenology. How can i do this? Is it possible with using proxmox? Maybe anyone done this already? I tried to connect disks as ide, or scsi but it seems like DSM sees only sata controller. Maybe ther's a way to connect secondary sata controller to virtual machine?

Edited by hellbondz

13 hours ago, hellbondz said:

Hi everyone. I have a problem. I need to connect 10 hard drives to xpenology. How can i do this? Is it possible with using proxmox? Maybe anyone done this already? I tried to connect disks as ide, or scsi but it seems like DSM sees only sata controller. Maybe ther's a way to connect secondary sata controller to virtual machine?

My solution

#SATA port has limit in Proxmox to 6 disks (0-5), so added two disks with args and new ahc1 bus as sata6 ans sata7 drives

#sata6%3A local%3A108/vm-108-disk-1.raw,size=10G

#sata7%3A /dev/vg0/vg0_backup,backup=0

args: -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-0.raw,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-usb-disk2 -device usb-storage,bus=usb.0,port=2,drive=drive-usb-disk2,id=usb-disk2,bootindex=1,removable=off -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s3=1 -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s4=1 -realtime mlock=off -machine pc-i440fx-2.9,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off -device 'ahci,id=ahci1,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-sata6,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ahci1.0,drive=drive-sata6,id=sata6' -drive 'file=/dev/vg0/vg0_backup,if=none,id=drive-sata7,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ahci1.1,drive=drive-sata7,id=sata7'

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hellbondz said:

Somehow my setup does not allow to pass trough devices. Only disk drives.

@blessendor

I have another problem, i can pass trough disk with args, but i can't mark it as SSD. Maybe you know the way?

This works for me

sata3: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSC2BW220H6_CVTR42855BUV220CGP-part3,backup=0,cache=none,discard=on,size=105622104K,ssd=1

• Like 1

I still don't understand. I don't see where in args i set the drive as VirtIO. It's just simple ahci drive. How come it's different from "sata3: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSC2BW220H6_CVTR42855BUV220CGP-part3,backup=0,cache=none,discard=on,..." option.

Edited by hellbondz

• 2 months later...