XPEnology Community

Do SSD Cache's make much difference on a GigE ?

randall8686

An SSD hot cahce can serves a primary function; to keep recently and continuously accessed data in a hot online state. The outcome of this is two fold, high speed access in terms of throughput which would saturate a 1GBe network (no difference really to RAID arrays with multiple drives) and also low latency. On 1GBe you can forget about the bandwidth as already mentioned, but it would deal with latency access e.g. the time to start transferring as well as continuous transfer speeds and consistency of read/writes. Unless you're running VMs from the machine, I personally don't think they serve much purpose that a standard array of spinners can do (or all flash array if you're lucky)!

I have played with read and read/write caches. I found the read cache made no noticeable improvement, but never did it seem to get it the way. The Read/write cache actually made random recent reads noticeably better, but also negatively impacted by sequential writes. I took them both and build a dedicated SSD volume. MUCH MUCH better. it was big enough to run my apps and small VMs from, worked great.