XPEnology Community

5.2-5565 stopped booting after power supply replacement

just_joe

Question

My power supply died and when i replaced it my xpenology running 5.2-5565 doesn't boot fully any longer :sad:

booting gets as far as

:: Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...

/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0

Partition Version=0

Partition layout is not DiskStation style.

NOT EXECUTE /sbin/e2fschk.

Mounting /dev/md0 /tmpRoot

:: Checking upgrade file

Wait 2 seconds for synology manufactory device

If i boot in debug mode it continuously outputs

updating debug.log

USB 7-3: new high-speed USB device number xx using ehci-pci

where xx is a whole series of numbers that repeats eventually.

Did I maybe get my usb cables mixed up? Any help appreciated!

9 answers to this question

check that all your drives are spinning up ok and are visible in the bios, try running synology assistant and see what it detects - you might see 'checking quota' which means the box is checking the volumes and the boot screen waits at 'waiting 2 seconds etc' until that is finished, which could take a while

I can see all of my drives in the bios, synology assistant doesn't see this system but does see my synology box. None of my drives are blinking so I don't think it is checking the volumes.

I will try booting a live ubuntu system next.

if you have a spare hdd then I would try disconnecting the existing disks, and do a fresh build of 5.2 on that spare drive and see if that boots ok.

if it does then it might be that raid boot system partitions are damaged somehow. If you have enough sata ports to connect your raid and the spare hdd, then you could try booting with the spare hdd and repairing the sys partitions, I posted a process on how I did that;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31705

I took fjf's advice and booted off of a ubuntu USB. I was able to mount my filesystems no problem following this process

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 60&t=51393

So my filesystem is good , I shutdown the system removed the ubuntu usb and reinserted the xpenoboot usb, boot up the system and it hangs in the same spot, one thing i noticed is my xpenoboot usb drive has a led on it for activity and it just keeps blinking furiously while my HDD drive lights are idle.

I can build a drive with 5.2 on it, but is it the hdd drive partition or the boot usb that needs to be repaired?

Well that was really educational. The key was the USB drive blinking like crazy. It took me a while to realize it but the drive only showed up twice in ubuntu, I created a new xpenoboot and the system booted up fine. I logged in and it reported an unhealthy boot partition which repaired with no issues.

I noticed under ubuntu that the boot raid partition didn't assemble from

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

is that normal?

Well that was really educational. The key was the USB drive blinking like crazy. It took me a while to realize it but the drive only showed up twice in ubuntu, I created a new xpenoboot and the system booted up fine. I logged in and it reported an unhealthy boot partition which repaired with no issues.

I noticed under ubuntu that the boot raid partition didn't assemble from

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

is that normal?

Yes it is. That command will only assemble the data partition, not the system partition. And btw the boot drive is not your HDD but your USB drive. See my signature for how to mount the system partition.