XPEnology Community

Has anyone been able to get link aggregation to work? I have seen a few posts that did not look promising. I tried twice and the system freezes and you can no longer access the server and have to re-install the operating system to get it back up and running. If anyone has had any success, please share :smile:

Has anyone been able to get link aggregation to work? I have seen a few posts that did not look promising. I tried twice and the system freezes and you can no longer access the server and have to re-install the operating system to get it back up and running. If anyone has had any success, please share :smile:

It works for me and for many people. Make sure MTU is not above 1500 on each NIC.

Each NIC is set to 1500 MTU. I have tried to link the 4 ports on the card, then I tried linking the all 5th ports, including the one on the motherboard to test and both configurations error out. The challenge is it breaks the installation, so I hate to keep rolling the dice.

I tried 4 with the tutorial below and it will freeze at about 90% of completion. It recognizes the ports, so I don't think its a driver issue, but I could be wrong. I bought the HP NC364T PCIe 4Pt Gigabit Server Adptr. Is there a compatibility list anywhere?

I am nervous to try again, as it destroys the installation, but I would like to fix this as the transfer rates are not that great and I have a lot of large files to move.

So I manually set the MTU value from 2000 to 1500 during the bonding process and I was able to get it to bond. It says it is connected, but I get the following error message.

1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500, Failed to establish IEEE 802.3ad connection.

I have it connected to a new switch that is powering the server and it does support link aggregation and is setup properly (I think). Any ideas on this error message?

So I manually set the MTU value from 2000 to 1500 during the bonding process and I was able to get it to bond. It says it is connected, but I get the following error message.

1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500, Failed to establish IEEE 802.3ad connection.

I have it connected to a new switch that is powering the server and it does support link aggregation and is setup properly (I think). Any ideas on this error message?

Is your switch IEEE 802.3ad compliant?

Are all 4 NICs the same model?

It does not say anything about it in the documentation, so I don't think so. This is a pretty popular switch, so I am surprised I cannot find any information on IEEE 802.3ad:

TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed Easy Smart Switch (TL-SG108E)

Yes, I am using all 4 ports on a NIC card:

HP NC364T PCIe 4Pt Gigabit Server Adptr

Hi All,

This is my first post, so in the beginning I would like to thank you all for everything what you do on this forum.

Myself, I do not have good experience with link aggregation. I cannot get better transfer than 113 MB/s which only 1 gigabit speed. I have managed to bond NIC with 4 gigabit ethernet ports (4000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500 – either static or dinamic) on Asus P8H61-MX with Intel Pentium G620 DDR3 8GB Raid 5 WD Red 3TB LSI 9211-8i IT mode, Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad - DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, Jun's v1.01 loader.

Xpenology is connected to TP-Link switch T2600G-28TS. On the other end, I have Asrock z97 Extreme 6, CPU 4790K, DDR3 16GB, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Intel I350-T4 – tested on Windows 7 and Windows 10

I have tested on different hardware as well TP-Link TL-SG3210, i3-2120 Lenovo CiH61M, different NIC cards NC360T, NC364T - DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9, Jun's v1.01 loader or DSM 5.2-5644 DS3615xs

Polanskiman – what kind of hardware do you have - switch, NIC’s? Did you manage to get higher transfers then 1 NIC card?

This is my home project but slowly I am running out of the options.

Re Twisted

I think your switch should be able to bond your NIC card. Please see http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-41_TL-SG108E.html#specifications

Also

Please check your switch manual Chapter 4 LAG config http://static.tp-link.com/Easy%20Smart%20Configuration%20Utility_User%20Guide.pdf

It does not say anything about it in the documentation, so I don't think so. This is a pretty popular switch, so I am surprised I cannot find any information on IEEE 802.3ad:

There is no mention of the switch being IEEE 802.3ad compliant. However the specs says it can do link aggregation under L2 features. So let's assume it's

compatible.

I think the link aggregation needs to be setup 1st on the switch else it wont work.

Have you tried only with 2 ports?

This switch is same mine. NOT is AD compliance.

Only support vlans And igmp spoof. The only way for you is "synology anythink agregattion"

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Only support vlans And igmp spoof. The only way for you is "synology anythink agregattion"

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for confirming this. That's what I was thinking since I did not see any reference to the switch being EEE 802.3ad compliant but still the technical specification says it can do link aggregation. I guess @Twisted you have your answer!

Polanskiman – what kind of hardware do you have - switch, NIC’s? Did you manage to get higher transfers then 1 NIC card?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I use a Cisco SG200-08 with the hardware in my signature.

Thanks for your reply. Do you actually get transfers above 113 MB/s?

Is there anyone else who can confirm higher transfers in 1 gigabit network using link aggregation?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I use a Cisco SG200-08 with the hardware in my signature.

Thanks for your reply. Do you actually get transfers above 113 MB/s?

Is there anyone else who can confirm higher transfers in 1 gigabit network using link aggregation?

Read this. It's in French but it's self explainatory: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21928&p=85251&hilit=Vitesse#p85251

If you have specific questions about your setup/environment please open a new thread.

I am worried to try to take it down to 2 ports, as it could crash again. The system should support 4, so something is off. I tried to use the card as the main internet connection before I linked the ports together and that didn't work so there could be a NIC card issue as well. This is a tough one, I'm not sure where to start. :???:

I am worried to try to take it down to 2 ports, as it could crash again. The system should support 4, so something is off. I tried to use the card as the main internet connection before I linked the ports together and that didn't work so there could be a NIC card issue as well. This is a tough one, I'm not sure where to start. :???:

Read the post of colrojo

Before you spend more time on link aggregation, are you sure you understand what advantage it offers? If you are trying to get more that 1gbps between your NAS and a single client, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. No matter how many NICS in your PC or NAS, no matter how you create your bonded channel, 1 client maxes at 1gbps.

What you can hope to achieve (and its hardly easy) is have multiple clients simultaneous aggregate to over 1gbps. And even if you can get the networking done right, you will still need to have the disks to keep up. When you have simultaneous devices accessing your NAS, thats a someone random activity, and you need ALOT of hard drives to exceed 1gbps of random activity, unless you create an all SSD volume.

even if you get everything working how many minutes a week is everything gonna line up perfectly?

there are two solutions that do work to give you over 1gbps somewhat often.

a-10gbps NICS and a 10gbps switch - used cards and switches are very affordable - this is what I do

b-multichannel SMB 3 - right now only works on windows systems, available in linux based systems using the latest samba systems if enable EXPERIMENTAL features.

@colrojo Thank you for sharing, it looks like I need a new switch. I am not sure what "synology anythink agregattion" is?

@mervincm I'm not looking for a massive speed boost. I do however transfer 20GB to 30GB files and would like to get more than 90mbs/second.

@Polanskiman Thank you for the support as always. I will try the Cisco SG200-08.

Before you spend more time on link aggregation, are you sure you understand what advantage it offers? If you are trying to get more that 1gbps between your NAS and a single client, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. No matter how many NICS in your PC or NAS, no matter how you create your bonded channel, 1 client maxes at 1gbps.

What you can hope to achieve (and its hardly easy) is have multiple clients simultaneous aggregate to over 1gbps. And even if you can get the networking done right, you will still need to have the disks to keep up. When you have simultaneous devices accessing your NAS, thats a someone random activity, and you need ALOT of hard drives to exceed 1gbps of random activity, unless you create an all SSD volume.

even if you get everything working how many minutes a week is everything gonna line up perfectly?

there are two solutions that do work to give you over 1gbps somewhat often.

a-10gbps NICS and a 10gbps switch - used cards and switches are very affordable - this is what I do

b-multichannel SMB 3 - right now only works on windows systems, available in linux based systems using the latest samba systems if enable EXPERIMENTAL features.

Thank you very much. That definitely answered my reading (and I think) for most of us here. Why bother or waste time on Link Aggregation, huh?

And yes, I still keep an eye on 10gbps NICS and a 10gbps switch. They are still at high prices these days.

10 gigabit networking does not have to be expensive.

IMO a starter setup is just

2 NICS (USED can be as low as 20-30$ each used) (not all work with xpenology at this time)

2 "cables" (cables for cheap 10 gig networking usually means 2 optical SFP+ transceivers and a fiber patch cable the length required, OR an SFP+ DAC cable) each cable is about 20$-75$

1 switch with at least 2 SFP+ ports, new from 200$-400$, used from 100$

its doable for not too much.

Did a test today. I have a real Synology 1813+ and its setup (today) with a single SHR volume, 8 HDD + BTRFS FS. setup a 4gig link with link aggregation with its 4 NICS. removed all packages and turned off all reports, indexing etc. Created a best case scenario (without SSDs.) Directly from the 1813+, I did a rsync copy pulling huge files from my xpenology. at the same time I did a CIFS copy (huge files) from a workstation to the 1813+. I was able to get CUMULATIVE averages over 1gbps and CUMULATIVE peaks at about 1.6 gbps. If you had more clients looking the write to the 1813+ at the same time, it might have gone even higher. This is a typical scenario where link aggregation can help.

@ Polanskiman I bought the Cisco SG200-08 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch. After setting up link aggregation, I still get the same Failed to establish IEEE 802.3ad connection error. I did not unlink and re-bond the connection, but I can tell it does see the new switch and port locations.

Do you have any suggestions? Could this be a settings issue on the switch?

• Like 1