XPEnology Community

Lag with lacp works fine. And mtu of 9000 also works good with the lacp bond. Im runing an xpenology 3615xs 6.1.1 with 2 Intel nic inside connected to an Cisco sg500x switch.... On the switch You must create a Port Chanel. Inside the Port Chanel Set up The switchport Mode trunk, descripton and on the physical switch interfaces where your Nas is connected You must Set up in the interface config Chanel - Group xyz Mode on.

Thats It.it IT is helpful i van Post The Nas config and the switch config wichtig is required.

I tried that as well and still received the same error?

I recommend you use a spare drive, install DSM fresh then configure the switch, then configure DSM Link aggregation. Start with only 2 NICs. You see if that works. Also look at the bios to see if there is any configuration option for aggregation for that network card. I don't know that network card in particular so I can't help in that regard. I also highly recommend doing an update of the switch firmware.

Here is what the switch config should look like. There were some bugs in the past so make sure to update the switch firmware

WzmH9Tu.jpg

Make sure LACP is enabled on the desired ports. In my case g2 and g3 (by default they should be enabled though).

MyWQoqJ.jpg

Configure the LAG:

xJBNP6j.jpg

Check:

eXZeSoz.jpg

Check:

ISq8SX8.jpg

Create the bond in DSM:

sqk4ZHF.jpg

Check:

eoCqR9u.jpg

On 6/12/2017 at 0:06 AM, Twisted said:

@Polanskiman Thank you! You are the man as usual :grin:

Now that I have corrected the error message, I am still getting only 100mb/second. How is your speed? Maybe I need another NIC card?

Something else to think about, a lagg from the xpenology box to cisco is great, but have you thought about the lagg from your computer to the cisco switch?  If you want throughput all lanes need to be fast and wide or your NAS will have throughput capacity from multiple machines but not from only one.

I am pretty sure my set-up is fine. I am coming straight from the router into the switch. The only thing that I could see that may be a an issue now is my NIC card. Here is what I have....what are others using?

HP NC364T PCIe 4Pt Gigabit Server Adptr

On 2017-06-12 at 0:06 AM, Twisted said:

@Polanskiman Thank you! You are the man as usual :grin:

Now that I have corrected the error message, I am still getting only 100mb/second. How is your speed? Maybe I need another NIC card?

Yes 100 mb (mega bits) is very slow. You should be getting about 100 MB/s (mega bytes) write and higher reads.  You should try a GB  nic. and get about 8 times better throughput.

2 hours ago, GaryM said:

Yes 100 mb (mega bits) is very slow. You should be getting about 100 MB/s (mega bytes) write and higher reads.  You should try a GB  nic. and get about 8 times better throughput.

That's what I am using. Trying to figure out why i'm still at 100mb. Trying to see what other cards people are using.

14 hours ago, Twisted said:

That's what I am using. Trying to figure out why i'm still at 100mb. Trying to see what other cards people are using.

So you really are at 100 mega bits/s and not just careless with your upper case? sorry.

I have learned long ago that if you have a choice, only use Intel  or Intel chipset network cards.

@colrojo Thank you for sharing, it looks like I need a new switch. I am not sure what "synology anythink agregattion" is? [mention=4938]mervincm[/mention] I'm not looking for a massive speed boost. I do however transfer 20GB to 30GB files and would like to get more than 90mbs/second.

[mention=5438]Polanskiman[/mention] Thank you for the support as always. I will try the Cisco SG200-08.

Sorry for the delay in responding

"Adaptative load balancing" is the option

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

5 hours ago, b0fh said:

GaryM - that is an intel chipset.  Seriously - keep up.

You must have one of these HP cards to know it's an 82571EB chipset. Thanks for taking the time to tell me.  I use the Intel version of this 4 port board in my Sophos firewall and have no problems with throughput at all. Looks like someone should verify that the nic card works in another system, unless you know he's done that too.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, b0fh said:

You will need to move to 10gbps (or faster) interfaces for that then.

You are right on this one.  I have a cisco SG200-08 and I won't bother using it for this because with a simple 2 nic bond in DSM3617xs I upload at 105 Mbytes/s and download at 115 Mbytes/s, fast enough for what I want to do. But, if time is money, then one has to spend money in the right place.

On 5/30/2017 at 3:28 PM, Twisted said:

Each NIC is set to 1500 MTU. I have tried to link the 4 ports on the card, then I tried linking the all 5th ports, including the one on the motherboard to test and both configurations error out. The challenge is it breaks the installation, so I hate to keep rolling the dice.

Set the motherboard nic up for access to DSM as a maintenance only IP. Use all other ports for play or data.  If you mess us the data config you can fix things by access via your normal DSM IP.

I was thinking about trying the Intel version, as there may be a driver issue from HP. I have seen plenty of people using it for FreeNAS with no issues, so the card may be defective as well. If anyone want to share what they use, that may be helpful. I think this is the way to go for me, as a 10GIG infrastructure is a long ways away from being affordable (IMO).

EXPI9404PTLBLK should be supported.  I am using the dual ports in my Xpenology hardware instances and using the quads in my ESXi instances (doesn't mean it is for sure supported in Xpenology hardware instances, but they are the same chipsets).