XPEnology Community

Problem with 6.0.2

bradmax57

Hi for some reason my user account had gone (maybe I hadn't posted in so long) anyway I've got a bit of an issue with my 6.0.2 Build, all has been fine using juns loader 1.01 I think it was, I updated the dsm earlier (was set for only critical updates) to the latest 6.0.2 version, it then came up as migratable using synology assistant so got the matching version DSM_DS3615xs_8451 and installed that, now I cant see the nas at all, its stuck on booting the kernel (Microserver N54L)

Its booting on the 5th option for the loader (DS3615xs 6.02 baremetal amd with jun's mod v1.01

I didn't want to try 6.1 as I've read it might not be fully compatible, any ideas where to start?

Thanks

Is the data important or do you just want to start over? in any case you can try 6.1, you can always grab another USB key, write the IMG again, and try from that. While working on a seperate issue, I build a functional 6.11U4 system quite simply. for the 6.02 guide , but using the 1.02a IMG, the DSM version you need to download was listed in the synology assistant after you boot from the stick. The other key was to fix the PID/VID using the "boot from stick, hit C to launch command prompt, pid command, pid 0x(your 4 digits),vid command, vid 0x(your 4 digits) hit esc, then continue to boot. after that it will install and there was no issue upgrading it to 6.1.1U4. (well I STILL have a problem using 10gigabyte NICs, but so far no issue with 1gigabyte NICs)

set a new root password (and then password for other users like admin) is posible without reinstalling

try searching for "grub reset root password"

it will be something like this:

https://linuxconfig.org/recover-reset-forgotten-linux-root-password

the problem with xpenology is that your root partition is a raid1 over all disks (not just a single disk/partition), i've never tryed this with this method, you have to make shure you are using /dev/md0 as root partition when you mount it read/write

i guess it will work as in jun's loader is already /dev/md0 defined as root (akak "/") file system

Is the data important or do you just want to start over? in any case you can try 6.1, you can always grab another USB key, write the IMG again, and try from that. While working on a seperate issue, I build a functional 6.11U4 system quite simply. for the 6.02 guide , but using the 1.02a IMG, the DSM version you need to download was listed in the synology assistant after you boot from the stick. The other key was to fix the PID/VID using the "boot from stick, hit C to launch command prompt, pid command, pid 0x(your 4 digits),vid command, vid 0x(your 4 digits) hit esc, then continue to boot. after that it will install and there was no issue upgrading it to 6.1.1U4. (well I STILL have a problem using 10gigabyte NICs, but so far no issue with 1gigabyte NICs)

System and data are in two separate partition. Starting over will have no effect on data.

Tried several cables directly to my router and cant even see it as an attached device any longer..... wonder if the LAN has died? lights are still flickering away on it

1st option: try accessing the system partition following this guide: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805 and then copy the content of /lib/modules/update to /lib/modules (if you know the module of your NIC then copying that module only will do)

2nd option: if the above doesn't work and if you don't mind reinstalling all your apps and configuring them again, I would recommend you to wipe the system partition and reinstalling DSM again. I don't know exactly what you did before but doing as I said will certainly be faster than troubleshooting this for days.

I certainly don't mind re-installing apps etc but thought that's what I had already tried recreating my USB drive? Followed your guide for using Jun's loader for 6.0.2 changing vid and pid along with serial and mac booted from USB selected option 4 (amd bare metal) and all appears normal just can't see diskstation at all to even to reinstall dsm, will try connecting it directly to router later to see if that helps

I certainly don't mind re-installing apps etc but thought that's what I had already tried recreating my USB drive? Followed your guide for using Jun's loader for 6.0.2 changing vid and pid along with serial and mac booted from USB selected option 4 (amd bare metal) and all appears normal just can't see diskstation at all to even to reinstall dsm, will try connecting it directly to router later to see if that helps

Recreating the usb drive has no effect on reinstallation. Follow the options 1 above first, then option 2 if 1st option doesn't work. Your problem seems to be the module not loading.

OK will take a look later thanks again I just thought I'd at least be able to see it connected as a device on my router, is there a guide to option 2? as I cant see my nas I cant reinstall?

*edit* cant even get a live cd to boot from usb, its just hanging with a flashing white curser..... maybe I need a new usb stick, said it had created it successfully.

Polanskiman wrote:

mervincm wrote:

System and data are in two separate partition. Starting over will have no effect on data.

bradmax57 wrote:

Tried several cables directly to my router and cant even see it as an attached device any longer..... wonder if the LAN has died? lights are still flickering away on it

1st option: try accessing the system partition following this guide: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805 and then copy the content of /lib/modules/update to /lib/modules (if you know the module of your NIC then copying that module only will do)

2nd option: if the above doesn't work and if you don't mind reinstalling all your apps and configuring them again, I would recommend you to wipe the system partition and reinstalling DSM again. I don't know exactly what you did before but doing as I said will certainly be faster than troubleshooting this for days.

When I try and copy the content of /lib/modules/update to /lib/modules I'm getting failures

"Error while copying alx.ko

There was an error copying the file into /media/Ubuntu/1.42.6-5644/lib/modules

Show more details

Error opening file /media/Ubuntu/1.42.6-5644/lib/modules/alx.ko':Permission denied

Any ideas?? Could you tell me which is the system partition to wipe if all else fails?

Edited by Guest

I'm having the same sort of issue, I (stupidly) did an update thinking it wasn't a major update so wasn't an issue, now my N54L is stuck on 6.0.2-8451 (can't remember what Update # it was) in Recoverable.

Now I can access the partitions using gparted, but can't figure out a way to access the files to change the version number trick and all that. So figured, is it just easier to delete the /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 etc partitions and start again?

I was about to just do that but thought I'd better check on here to make sure it will definitely work and won't screw up my data.

EDIT: Went ahead and deleted all the system partitions, ends up that I can't just reinstall the DSM as it will wipe all my data. I have a backup from about 2 months ago so won't lose too much data, but still a pain in the arse.

EDIT2: So after it warned that, all my data is actually still there. Happy days!

very odd I cant see either..... ohwell after almost a week of copying data across (for some reason the transfer speeds are hiddous in ubunto?) I'm almost done so will just do a fresh install I think

Ok. Format all drives in ext4 before the install to make sure it doesn't go sideways.

hmmmm formatted both hard drives, re created my usb stick, changing the uid and cid, serial and mac code as per the guide, booted the microserver selected amd baremetal and again cannot see the xpenology in synology assistant......?

You said you had 6.0.2 installed before so you should be able to install it again. Make sure the IP/MAC address you are using is not reserved in the router. Reset the bios sometime helps.

It was reserved but removing it has done nothing as has resetting bios, I'm at a complete loss now, cant understand why it would work fine previously but its no longer seen by synology assistant.........

EDIT: I recreated a 5.2 XPEnoboot disk and it popped straight up so its obviously something I'm doing wrong creating the usb stick for 6.0.2 but following the guide to the T and not getting any errors when it boots