XPEnology Community

6+ functional w 10GBE NICs?

mervincm

Is anyone having any luck yet using 10gbe with 6 or higher versions on baremetal DSM?

Jun 1.01 and 1.02a loaders give me same results. Using a broadcom BNX2 card, I can write 300-500 MB/sec but only read a 1-3 MB/sec. using an intel card, I get link lights, but not even DHCP will function. Booting off Ubuntu 15.10 live linux, both function as expected.

Using (intel, a couple varieties) 1GBE NICS, all works as expected.

the tehuti 10G cards synology uses do definitly work (always ootb as they are part of dsm, tn40xx.ko) - but they are not liked much (i guess) - i use a 10G-BaseT version (original sold for qnap, was cheapest)

afair there was a firmware missing for bnx2 (or bnx2x) in jun's original loader? if so you should be seeing something about it in the log when booting

you can try this driver package (for 1.02a)

https://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33109

it contains additional bnx2 firmware and intel 10G drivers

Edited by Guest

Is anyone having any luck yet using 10gbe with 6 or higher versions on baremetal DSM?

Jun 1.01 and 1.02a loaders give me same results. Using a broadcom BNX2 card, I can write 300-500 MB/sec but only read a 1-3 MB/sec. using an intel card, I get link lights, but not even DHCP will function. Booting off Ubuntu 15.10 live linux, both function as expected.

Using (intel, a couple varieties) 1GBE NICS, all works as expected.

With loader 1.01 (DSM 6.0.2) can you please try this custom ramdisk and revert? https://mega.nz/#!WVw33SIY!fRECqeVgFC1_ ... q6IFPZ3ZaI

Simply replace the extra.lzma ramdisk in the laoder with the one provided above.

I should have added that I was able to get both the broadcom 10gbe and the intel 10 gbe NICs working with 5.x, ran it that way for months if not over a year.

I have upgraded from 6.1 to 6.1.1u4 and there is a significant improvement, if not quite fixed? is it possible syno tweaked a driver or something? It is MUCH better, at least with the Intel Card I have been testing with so far.

I can read from the NAS at about 300MB/sec (OK for a 4 Disk R5 BTRFS)

I can only write to the NAS at about 105MB/sec (not great)

The only thing I did differently was testing BTRFS this time, I used ETX4 for previous testing.

I want to let it settle for a while, make sure it is stable, then I will try the broadcom card and then both again with the new ram drive (assuming that this ram drive is NOT the same as you had it your 6.02 tutorial, as I used that one in yesterdays testing)

I should have added that I was able to get both the broadcom 10gbe and the intel 10 gbe NICs working with 5.x, ran it that way for months if not over a year.

I have upgraded from 6.1 to 6.1.1u4 and there is a significant improvement, if not quite fixed? is it possible syno tweaked a driver or something? It is MUCH better, at least with the Intel Card I have been testing with so far.

I can read from the NAS at about 300MB/sec (OK for a 4 Disk R5 BTRFS)

I can only write to the NAS at about 105MB/sec (not great)

The only thing I did differently was testing BTRFS this time, I used ETX4 for previous testing.

I want to let it settle for a while, make sure it is stable, then I will try the broadcom card and then both again with the new ram drive (assuming that this ram drive is NOT the same as you had it your 6.02 tutorial, as I used that one in yesterdays testing)

That's the custom ramdisk I am providing in the tutorial. I updated it 2 days ago because the broadcom.ko module was not loading. I also deleted a bunch of other modules which were not working properly. It's not the default one included within Jun's loader. In view of what you are saying though it seems you already tried it.

update: it's working.

moved the USB boot drive from my test server to the main Xpenology NAS (exact same hardware) and it is stable running at 10gbps on the Intel card (broadcom still non functional.) It seems that something in .1 or u4 fixed the problem.

Still no luck with the broadcom, but I would rather use the intel anyway.