XPEnology Community

Recommended Hardware?

calimansi

Been lurking here for a while. I have xpeneology working on an old macbook pro that I never got around to fixing up and it works almost perfectly. The only thing I can't do is WOL. Other than that and it can't hold more than 2 hard drives, I would stick with this setup.

As I've been browsing the forum, I noticed that some are running HP N40L's and others are running beefier hardware with virtualization. I'd like to run on bare metal on something low power. I also want to do it cheap; this leaves those newer atom boards out of the picture.

Ebay has tons of server equipment for pretty good prices, but the power usage is insane. Most are dual CPU, which I don't need and will probably only eat up energy. I'd also like to go with ECC ram just in case we don't get updates anymore for some reason.

Can you guys recommend something good? Those HP proliant microserver gen8's look sweet if it wasn't for the $500 price tag. Ideally, I'd like to something the computer for around $300 (without the hard drives).

Thanks.

Don't worry about power consumption, even with decent hardware its minimal.

Id get a G4650 cpu with an b250 or h270 motherboard with 6 sata ports for expansion, 4-8gb ddr4 ram and that should be enough for multiple 1080p transcodes and basically anything else you want to do.