XPEnology Community

Why set Mac address/SN in Jun's loader?

YukonKnights

Question

Can anyone explain why the Mac address and Serial Number need to be changed in grub.cfg in Jun's loader, and why they can't be left at the default? If it needs to be changed, does it need to be changed to the Mac address of my NIC, or does it need to be changed to something else? Finally, is the Mac address I set in grub.cfg the one I should be using for setting up WOL?

Thanks for the help!

4 answers to this question

Can anyone explain why the Mac address and Serial Number need to be changed in grub.cfg in Jun's loader, and why they can't be left at the default? If it needs to be changed, does it need to be changed to the Mac address of my NIC, or does it need to be changed to something else? Finally, is the Mac address I set in grub.cfg the one I should be using for setting up WOL?

Thanks for the help!

Strictly speaking, for the loader to work there is no need to modify the MAC address and S/N which come by default in the grub.cfg file. It should actually just work fine as is. The changing of these two values is more a matter of customisation of your box than anything else.

You can change the MAC address in the grub.cfg file to your NIC's real MAC address which will in turn be the MAC address used for WOl.

Strictly speaking, for the loader to work there is no need to modify the MAC address and S/N which come by default in the grub.cfg file. It should actually just work fine as is. The changing of these two values is more a matter of customisation of your box than anything else.

You can change the MAC address in the grub.cfg file to your NIC's real MAC address which will in turn be the MAC address used for WOl.

Great! I thought that might be the case - thanks for confirming. Now to see if I can get WOL working.....

Thanks for the help!

Not quite true. I use XPenology mainly for Photo Station and that doesn't convert videos if the serial isn't set or invalid. It has been mentioned in another threads as well. Even the logs complain about a invalid license check.