XPEnology Community

Internal disks woke up from hibernation?

Hi,

Got a new XPEnology device I built a month ago.. I have only used a Synology NAS before but never a custom XPEnology.

Now I have a new installed DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8 on my machine. Everything seems to be working so far. I basiclaly just installex PLEX server, antivirus, Media server (I Think I need this for plex..? Not sure), storage analyzer and Log center.

I have enabled HDD Hibernation on 10 minutes and also Logs enabled for hibernation.

When I look in the Logs it seems to go to sleep but thenw ake up every 20 something minutes.. I dont know why it does not stay in hibernation ..

Thanks for all help!

Plex is most likely the reason why disks keep spinning up. In general, disk hybernation doen not work as expected, not just on Xpenology by the way. Better to switch hybernation off completely and optionally use power schedule to turn machine fully on/off. Better for life expectancy of disks.

Plex is most likely the reason why disks keep spinning up. In general, disk hybernation doen not work as expected, not just on Xpenology by the way. Better to switch hybernation off completely and optionally use power schedule to turn machine fully on/off. Better for life expectancy of disks.

Is there no function in synology to see exactly why the harddrives keep getting woken up..?

"Better for life expectancy of disks" I googled this and it doesnt seem to be proven to be the case.. And it depends ofcourse how many times disk is waking up and what kind of disks it is. If disk hibernation would work as it should I should not need to power up the disks very often at all.. But as you say this might be same issue on original synology software as well..

One problem I have with leaving the disks on 24/7 is the temperature they are in idle.. 44-46 degree celcius.. Im not sure how bad this is on WD RED disks..? I dont have good airflow in my chassi, only a small fan on the back of the chassi as exhaust..

The temps your disks are running at isn't good, personally I think you would be better off trying to improve the air flow in you case or perhaps investing a better one rather than trying to get hibernation working.

The temps your disks are running at isn't good, personally I think you would be better off trying to improve the air flow in you case or perhaps investing a better one rather than trying to get hibernation working.

damn bro I was afraid of this...

My case is brand new and it was kinda expensive.. Its like a little NAS case but apparently it does not work well at all with the airflow.. only a 120mm fan in the back and nothing in the front.. With no way to add one either since front is just hotswap bays..

Starting to regret this ...

Case is: http://proclockers.com/reviews/computer ... nopaging=1

Ty for any advice..

I would tape close the inlet holes right below the hot swap bays. I would also tape close the side panel inlet holes. That way all the air is forced thru the hot swap bays cooling the HDD.

As a trade off, your CPU and other components will run hotter. If everything gets too hot then get a spot cooling fan and mount it over the hot components to mix the air up and remove hot stagnant air.

" I googled this and it doesnt seem to be proven to be the case.. And it depends ofcourse how many times disk is waking up and what kind of disks it is. If disk hibernation would work as it should I should not need to power up the disks very often at all.. But as you say this might be same issue on original synology software as well..

Agreed if disk are only activated as expected. If however this means an on/off cycle every 20 minutes, I would nog be so sure.

What we probably do agree on is that the temperatures you mention are not very healty. These should be reduced by better fan cooling.

I would tape close the inlet holes right below the hot swap bays. I would also tape close the side panel inlet holes. That way all the air is forced thru the hot swap bays cooling the HDD.

As a trade off, your CPU and other components will run hotter. If everything gets too hot then get a spot cooling fan and mount it over the hot components to mix the air up and remove hot stagnant air.

I appreciate these advices and I will actually try them right now. Also my only fan the back exhaust fan will probably change to a noctua fan instead. Right now it's connected with Pwm to the chassi backplate but I'm gonna try to connect it right to the motherboard instead and put it on some good rpm there..

I will update soon. Ty

" I googled this and it doesnt seem to be proven to be the case.. And it depends ofcourse how many times disk is waking up and what kind of disks it is. If disk hibernation would work as it should I should not need to power up the disks very often at all.. But as you say this might be same issue on original synology software as well..

Agreed if disk are only activated as expected. If however this means an on/off cycle every 20 minutes, I would nog be so sure.

What we probably do agree on is that the temperatures you mention are not very healty. These should be reduced by better fan cooling.

Hey.. I agree the Temps are too bad and I will experiment with it today.. What are some good idle Temps and some good load Temps for a 24/7 Nas with wd reds? These are the helium ones with 8tb..

Also i wonder why plex should constantly mess up the hibernation..? Maybe better to go for something else like kodi..? Never tried it though.

I have 5 3TB WD Reds running 24/7 at 27-29 degrees. As far as hibernation goes anything can wake the disks not just plex. If you look at the synology forums it affects genuine boxes too.

What case do you have and what's your fan setup.? Where they are located and what rpm u run them on..? Controlling the rpm or just some constant value..?

Under load say transcoding a HD Bluray movie to ur TV what degree on disks then.?

Skickat från min ONE E1003 via Tapatalk

I'm actually running them in a Synology DS1513+ at present, my xpenology server is a HP gen7 microserver with 6 2TB WD Blacks which run a little hotter at 35-37 degrees. The 1513+ is my backup server & the HP is my main server. I've not really noticed the temps vary that much, although the fan can get quite loud on the HP when transcoding

+1, can confirm that having Plex installed and active prevents disks from going into hibernation. My disks were power saving as normal until I got my Plex up and running. And yes I agree that scheduling your machine to turn off overnight is a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk