XPEnology Community

Intel DP965LT, unable to boot from USB (or CD)

thibsie

Hi all,

I'd like to recycle an old Intel mobo as an Xpenology server.

Its more than needed for storages purposes as I can fit it with either Pentium Dual Core or Quad 6600.

I don't need it to do any processing so CPU is actually unimportant (but TDP maybe).

The thing is, I can get this thing to boot on anything Linux. (even MS is difficult).

No way Jun loader will work. It boots fine on my laptop though.

What else can I try ?

Thank you

Hi all,

I'd like to recycle an old Intel mobo as an Xpenology server.

Its more than needed for storages purposes as I can fit it with either Pentium Dual Core or Quad 6600.

I don't need it to do any processing so CPU is actually unimportant (but TDP maybe).

The thing is, I can get this thing to boot on anything Linux. (even MS is difficult).

No way Jun loader will work. It boots fine on my laptop though.

What else can I try ?

Thank you

Difficult to help with so little information. Any error messages? What do you see on screen?

What I am seeing is that your board only works in IDE mode and not in AHCI mode. The current loader do not have the modules for old IDE controllers. Your only choice in my opinion is to use an older loader with DSM (DSM 5.2). You wont be able to update to DSM 6.x though.

Please provide more information on your issue.

Your motherboard doesn't support USB boot; it's too old.

Are you sure? This is what I read from Intel Desktop Board DP965LT Technical Product Specification, page 74:

3.8 Boot Options

In the BIOS Setup program, the user can choose to boot from a diskette drive, hard drives, a USB drive, CD-ROM, or the network. The default setting is for the diskette drive to be the first boot device, the hard drive second, and the ATAPI CD-ROM third. If enabled, the last default boot device is the network.

Your motherboard doesn't support USB boot; it's too old.

Are you sure? This is what I read from Intel Desktop Board DP965LT Technical Product Specification, page 74:

3.8 Boot Options

In the BIOS Setup program, the user can choose to boot from a diskette drive, hard drives, a USB drive, CD-ROM, or the network. The default setting is for the diskette drive to be the first boot device, the hard drive second, and the ATAPI CD-ROM third. If enabled, the last default boot device is the network.

My mistake. Have you tried checking if Legacy USB is enabled?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, been away for quite some time.

First, thanks to you all for all the suggestions. I tried all of'em but could not get a single boot.

I finally did want I wanted to avoid, and wrote Xpenoboot 5.2 to the key.

Booted immediately. Dunno why. But it works.

Unfortunately I'll need to pass on DSM6 for the time being but DSM5 is better than no DSM at all :grin:

Thanks again :smile:

Hey, been away for quite some time.

First, thanks to you all for all the suggestions. I tried all of'em but could not get a single boot.

I finally did want I wanted to avoid, and wrote Xpenoboot 5.2 to the key.

Booted immediately. Dunno why. But it works.

Unfortunately I'll need to pass on DSM6 for the time being but DSM5 is better than no DSM at all :grin:

Thanks again :smile:

I actually told you what the problem was and adviced a work around. See below:

What I am seeing is that your board only works in IDE mode and not in AHCI mode. The current loader do not have the modules for old IDE controllers. Your only choice in my opinion is to use an older loader with DSM (DSM 5.2). You wont be able to update to DSM 6.x though.

That's why you can't install DSM 6.0

Indeed you did.

But I didn't get it 'cos :

1/ that (censored words) mobo is supposed to be AHCI.

2/ the stick didn't not boot at all, it should have booted (IMO) and not found any disk. I would have got it.

So much for me (duh). Thanks again.

Indeed you did.

But I didn't get it 'cos :

1/ that (censored words) mobo is supposed to be AHCI.

2/ the stick didn't not boot at all, it should have booted (IMO) and not found any disk. I would have got it.

So much for me (duh). Thanks again.

I looked a bit deeper to make sure of what I was saying.

DP965LT does not have AHCI mode. The ICH8 variant (82801HB) that is used on DP965LT does not support AHCI or RAID modes. However, other variants of ICH8 that are used on the DG965xx do support AHCI or RAID.

If the BIOS shows you that you have an AHCI/RAID mode, it is most certainly a BIOS bug and that option shouldn't be there.

For the sake of completion here is some more details:

Your board specifications:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15049/eng/dp965lt_techprodspec.pdf

Page 12:

Intel® 82801HB I/O Controller Hub (ICH8)

Datasheet for the Intel® 82801HB ICH8 and 82801HR ICH8R, 82801HDH ICH8DH, 82801HDO ICH8DO I/O Controller Hubs

https://www.bubik.cz/download/pdf/datasheet/intel/ich8-31305602.pdf

Page 44:

AHCI (Intel® ICH8R, ICH8DH, ICH8DO Only)

The ICH8 provides hardware support for Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), a new programming interface for SATA host controllers. Platforms supporting AHCI may take advantage of performance features such as no master/slave designation for SATA devices—each device is treated as a master—and hardware-assisted native command queuing. AHCI also provides usability enhancements such as Hot-Plug. AHCI requires appropriate software support (e.g., an AHCI driver) and for some features, hardware support in the SATA device or additional platform hardware.

Note that the ICH8 variant of your board (82801HB) is not listed above. Only ICH8R, ICH8DH, ICH8DO offer AHCI functionality.

how about trying disabling the onboard sata/ide and use a cheap 4 port pci x1 add on card eg syba - uses the marvell chipset and is native ahci? I'm using one of these on my 6.0.2 install on an Asrock J3455 and it works fine to give me 6 HDDs total