XPEnology Community

Booting from Already installed USB vmware esxi

So i finally installed VMware esxi 6.5 on my server.. Before it was only running xpenology direct from USB stick..

I really wanna keep my setup and continuing running from the usb stick. so i was hoping just creating a Linux VM and meek it boot from USB and the xpenology was up and running again, while im playing with the other stuff..

But no mather what i do i cannot make it boot from the USB..

I really don't wanna make s new Xpenology server.. just wanna run from USB till i'm ready to take the next step

Can anyone tell my what settings i need to make a VM just make it boot from USB and get xpe running?

Thx

you have'nt mentioned what dsm version or bootloader

i'm using virtualboy but i expect esx will be the same

when installing, for boot, you use the same image with a vmdk definition file as you put on usb stick (synoboot.img)

you could just the the same image as you copyed to your usb stick or even make a new image from the usb stick an use it in esx (there should be a how to for esx explainig what vrtual hardware und disk configuration to use

the real problem will bei the disks, how did you plan to bring the disks into the vm? do you have vt-d and plan to give the controller to the vm or was rdm for every disk the plan?

do you have your disk in a diskgroup or just a plain volume (without diskgroup the disk will have to be in the same order as befor or the raid might fail)

Im using the XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 version..

Regarding the disks im using the SHR but i'm making a backup now so i can format the disks and make them so vm will read them..

I will have a look at a way to make a image of the usb sticks im using now and see if i can make it work in esxi..

Im using the XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 version..

I will have a look at a way to make a image of the usb sticks im using now and see if i can make it work in esxi..

why not using the img file you used to create the usb stick with?

you might also serch the forum for using 5.2 with esx server

there is a way to use the img file "as" vmdk in creating a *.vmdk test file containing information about the *,img file (you can have a exaple in jun's loader 1.02a)

thats inside the synoboot.vmdk (synoboot.img file in the same directory)

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=6ccf51e5
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"

# Extent description
RW 102400 VMFS "synoboot.img" 0

# The Disk Data Base 
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "7e24a756b77e33e24ac940cc6ccf51e5"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "10"

"102400" is the count of 512 Byte Sectors in the synoboot.img used

so if you create a image from your usb stick with Win32DiskImager you might be able to use that image when alterring the vmdk file accordingly