XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Data throughput on HP Microserver N54L

flitschbirne

Hi everyone.

I have XPEnology (DS3612xs_4.2-3211) installed on a HP Microserver N54L. The DMS is installed on a internal 250GB SATA harddrive. Furthermore I have two 2TB WD Red harddrives installed and under DSM I configured them as RAID1.

When I copy data on the RAID1 I get a data throughput of 55 MB/s, but I have a gigabit network at home. I red that people have up to 110MB/s. Is there anything I can improve to get more data throughput?

Gruß!

Edited by Guest

Hi

Did you choose to check the disks for errors when creating the RAID as recommended? Has it finished checking the disks? Checking the disks may take 5-6 hours for 2TB disks.

I'm able to reach 100MB/s just using the 250GB disk, that came with the server.

Have you tried making a volume without RAID on the 250GB disk?

How are you copying data to it? If copying from one area of the microserver to another via a PC, you'll see about 50MB/sec. If not, check your network card settings - you might be running half duplex (shouldn't half your throughput, but will have an impact).

Hi

Did you choose to check the disks for errors when creating the RAID as recommended? Has it finished checking the disks? Checking the disks may take 5-6 hours for 2TB disks.

I'm able to reach 100MB/s just using the 250GB disk, that came with the server.

Have you tried making a volume without RAID on the 250GB disk?

Yes I checked the disks for errors. I let it run all night, it was finished in the morning. I never tried to copy something on the 250GB because I don't need it. All the data I need is stored on the RAID1 with the two 2TB WD Red drives...

How are you copying data to it? If copying from one area of the microserver to another via a PC, you'll see about 50MB/sec. If not, check your network card settings - you might be running half duplex (shouldn't half your throughput, but will have an impact).

From two different Windows 7 PCs over a samba share. The network is fine, I checked everything. All Nics automatically choose Gigabit connection, Cat6 cabels and a good gigabit switch from HP...

From where do you copy the files?

Are you sure that it isn't your source, that isn't able to deliver more than 55MB/s?

If my harddisk on my source computer is fragmented, I also see low transfer speeds.

How are the led-light for the harddisk on the N54L behaving when copying files to it? Is it constant on? If not, then the harddisk in the N54L isn't the bottleneck.

From where do you copy the files?

Are you sure that it isn't your source, that isn't able to deliver more than 55MB/s?

If my harddisk on my source computer is fragmented, I also see low transfer speeds.

How are the led-light for the harddisk on the N54L behaving when copying files to it? Is it constant on? If not, then the harddisk in the N54L isn't the bottleneck.

Oh man you are right. I copied the data from an older 500GB SATA harddrive in my gaming pc to the raid1. Now I tried copying something from my SSD harddrive and there you go. 110MB/s!!!

I wouldn't have thought that this 500GB harddrive does not deliver the speed...