XPEnology Community

How to build and inject missing drivers in jun loader 1.02a

IG-88

I try to follow this guide to build drivers for DS916+ bootloader to let my ASRock N3700-ITX work properly with it.

BUT I failed. The DS916+ bootloader cannot detect hard disk in virtual box.

Can anyone helps me to figure this out or build the drivers for me?

I believe the driver which missing in the bootloader is Realtek RTL8111.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IG-88,

Wowers is this challenging for a newbee.. Ok SO i discovered that pata_via runs on a number of linux kernels including 2.6.19–2.6.39, 3.0–3.19, 4.0–4.12. So 3.10 which DSM 6.0 is based is included. So the pata_via ko file from the previous trantor 5.2 build included should work correct? Dosnt that make this 50% easier?

How do I take the ko file from 5.2 and get it to load in your LZMA. Can I just open it up and rezip and have it work as your guide suggests? it seems I need to edit a driver registry, but can't that be copied also? Can any of this be done from windows or a mac since no kernel needs to be compiled? Id like to learn here, and that is the purpose of this topic and I appreciate that. This community is SMALL, so I'm sorry if this topic has not been embraced as you had hoped but I am trying here. I learn through scripts and that is how I learned how to build my own libreelec kodi build, via script edits. So if this takes you 5 second to do from the point of injecting the driver, can you explain how it can be done possibly through windows or a mac, ah la gui? Or at the very least a linux script? At least for the simple kernel modules (ones built for kernel already & ready to go) this will be a simpler guide then having to start from scratch with a driver.

THANKS in advance.

Edited by madhits45

On 7/25/2017 at 2:21 AM, madhits45 said:

IG-88,

Wowers is this challenging for a newbee.. Ok SO i discovered that pata_via runs on a number of linux kernels including 2.6.19–2.6.39, 3.0–3.19, 4.0–4.12. So 3.10 which DSM 6.0 is based is included. So the pata_via ko file from the previous trantor 5.2 build included should work correct? Dosnt that make this 50% easier?

How do I take the ko file from 5.2 and get it to load in your LZMA. Can I just open it up and rezip and have it work as your guide suggests? it seems I need to edit a driver registry, but can't that be copied also? Can any of this be done from windows or a mac since no kernel needs to be compiled? Id like to learn here, and that is the purpose of this topic and I appreciate that. This community is SMALL, so I'm sorry if this topic has not been embraced as you had hoped but I am trying here. I learn through scripts and that is how I learned how to build my own libreelec kodi build, via script edits. So if this takes you 5 second to do from the point of injecting the driver, can you explain how it can be done possibly through windows or a mac, ah la gui? Or at the very least a linux script? At least for the simple kernel modules (ones built for kernel already & ready to go) this will be a simpler guide then having to start from scratch with a driver.

THANKS in advance.

No you can't. DSM 5.2 / DSM 6.0 / 6.1 all have different kernel versions which mean one cannot use modules compiled for one version of DSM with another. Modules need to be recompiled if the kernel version changes. There is no shortcut.

3 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

No you can't. DSM 5.2 / DSM 6.0 / 6.1 all have different kernel versions which mean one cannot use modules compiled for one version of DSM with another. Modules need to be recompiled if the kernel version changes. There is no shortcut.

Damn.. Well I guess that settles it. Ill just got back to DSM 5 on my older machine and use 6 on my newer.. Hoped for something easier. Re-compliling drivers is way over my head.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madhits45 said:

Damn.. Well I guess that settles it. Ill just got back to DSM 5 on my older machine and use 6 on my newer.. Hoped for something easier. Re-compliling drivers is way over my head.

Have you read the tutorial I have made? The custom extra.lzma ramdisk I posted contains the pata_via.ko module for 6.0.2. See my signature.

• Like 2

Have you read the tutorial I have made? The custom extra.lzma ramdisk I posted contains the pata_via.ko module for 6.0.2. See my signature.

UPDATE: Looks like there is a bug in the driver and it may need to be patched.. See: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/88232/

Further reference: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/48504/

Could this patch be applied? This is most likely the problem.

On 27.7.2017 at 6:13 PM, madhits45 said:

UPDATE: Looks like there is a bug in the driver and it may need to be patched.. See: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/88232/

Further reference: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/48504/

Could this patch be applied? This is most likely the problem.

this stuff is 7 years old, kernel 3.10.102 (base of dsm 6.1) already contains it (i've checkt the pata_via.c)

but as the driver compiled for dsm 6.1_15047 does not work for newer dsm 6.1 builds (synology further modded kernel with no source availible) ...

see my comment here

IG-88 ya 7yrs old my PC is 8 and running strong.. I love old tech not going to the recycle bin when its perfectly working. We have 2 much ewaste as it is on earth.

However this sounds like this is a no go forcing me back to DSM 5.2 is that correct? Odd the changes in 6.0 kernel make it impossible to load a driver that was fine in 5.2. If pata_via wont load there is not much I can do if you guys cant get it to load, I am SOL.

Edited by madhits45

On 27/04/2017 at 11:05 PM, Salah said:

Thanks dude!

Finally got the dell R710 up on juns 1.02a (3615xs) img.

"apt-get lzma" is that up there?

Hello Salah, 

I need drivers for PERC H710, may be i could use yours. Could you contact me please ? 

I try to compile PERC drivers without sucess. Thanks you 

4 hours ago, bertrandj2 said:

Hello Salah, 

I need drivers for PERC H710, may be i could use yours. Could you contact me please ? 

I try to compile PERC drivers without sucess. Thanks you 

this controller is based on  LSI SA2208, with a IT firmware (and cross flashed to LSI?) it shoud work with the already existing drivers?

11 hours ago, madhits45 said:

IG-88 ya 7yrs old my PC is 8 and running strong.. I love old tech not going to the recycle bin when its perfectly working. We have 2 much ewaste as it is on earth.

However this sounds like this is a no go forcing me back to DSM 5.2 is that correct? Odd the changes in 6.0 kernel make it impossible to load a driver that was fine in 5.2. If pata_via wont load there is not much I can do if you guys cant get it to load, I am SOL.

i was not complaining about using older hardware (might be unreliable at some point and PATA/IDE disk are max. 750GB) it was about the fact that if the patch is this old and was taken into linux kernel it hast to be alredy in the kernel synology uses for dsm 6.1

as for using 6.1 with your hardware, as as long as you would stick to 6.1_15047 U2 from 3/2017 it will work and if thee are newer sources released from synology there will also be the option to use newer versions, as long as you need this driver you could not install newer versions of 6.1 but you could at least use 6.1 (if the old hardware supports 64bit) and features like docker support

http://download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1/15047/

+

http://download.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/15047-2/

and nothing newer (disable autoupdate of dsm)

7 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i was not complaining about using older hardware (might be unreliable at some point and PATA/IDE disk are max. 750GB) it was about the fact that if the patch is this old and was taken into linux kernel it hast to be alredy in the kernel synology uses for dsm 6.1

as for using 6.1 with your hardware, as as long as you would stick to 6.1_15047 U2 from 3/2017 it will work and if thee are newer sources released from synology there will also be the option to use newer versions, as long as you need this driver you could not install newer versions of 6.1 but you could at least use 6.1 (if the old hardware supports 64bit) and features like docker support

+

Well thanks I thought you were dogging on my old hardware LOL..

So are you saying I can't run 6.0 but I can 6.1? Really that almost seems to good to be true. Ill gladly try 6.1 if you think it will work. I'm fine staying on 6.1 with this system its a split IDE/SATA 64bit intel system with 4.5TB of storage. The pata_via driver will not load during the install process of 6.0, how is 6.1 that different? Do i just need to use juns loader 1.0.2 and use the same LZMA of drivers?

Edited by madhits45

21 hours ago, IG-88 said:

this controller is based on  LSI SA2208, with a IT firmware (and cross flashed to LSI?) it shoud work with the already existing drivers?

I don't have flash the SAS/SATA PERC H710, only apply the latest firmware on it (coming from DELL site) the server is a DELL T320.

I don't know how to put a cross flashed, but I would try if you explain to me. All I can say that it doesnt work out of the box with a Dell T320 equipt with a PERC H710.

Need to precise its an additional card, not the internal on the MB.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-perc-h710-spec-sheet.pdf

Tx for your reply

Edited by bertrandj2

42 minutes ago, bertrandj2 said:

I don't have flash the SAS/SATA PERC H710, only apply the latest firmware on it (coming from DELL site) the server is a DELL T320.

I don't know how to put a cross flashed, but I would try if you explain to me. All I can say that it doesnt work out of the box with a Dell T320 equipt with a PERC H710.

Need to precise its an additional card, not the internal on the MB.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-perc-h710-spec-sheet.pdf

Tx for your reply

hi,

it's more like to give you the right direction what you are looking for (here or with google), the way dsm works is single disks with software raid, the raid (normal) firmware does not give the disks "directly" to the drivers/system, the IT (initiator/target) firmware just gives the disk as single devices to the system as they where every disk on sata port (that way you can have serial number, SMART information like temp from every disk)

LSI  (now broadcom) delivers IT firmware for there own branded controllers, there are a lot of howto and guides about it because it's not just for synology, its also used for other NAS and SAN systems (like whren using ZFS)

i only did it twice in the last 2 years and in both cases used a new lsi branded controllers and flashed them to it mode using howto's i foud with google, ibm and dell controllers are often used as cheap sorce from ebay and crossflached to lsi firmware for using the IT firmware (what ibm and dell usualy not provide)

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

hi,

it's more like to give you the right direction what you are looking for (here or with google), the way dsm works is single disks with software raid, the raid (normal) firmware does not give the disks "directly" to the drivers/system, the IT (initiator/target) firmware just gives the disk as single devices to the system as they where every disk on sata port (that way you can have serial number, SMART information like temp from every disk)

LSI  (now broadcom) delivers IT firmware for there own branded controllers, there are a lot of howto and guides about it because it's not just for synology, its also used for other NAS and SAN systems (like whren using ZFS)

i only did it twice in the last 2 years and in both cases used a new lsi branded controllers and flashed them to it mode using howto's i foud with google, ibm and dell controllers are often used as cheap sorce from ebay and crossflached to lsi firmware for using the IT firmware (what ibm and dell usualy not provide)

Thank you for your time and answer.

Maybe it will easyier to buy a pci-e sas card on ebay, I already send a post about that in the french section (about wellknown compatibility) but no reply for  the moment

:(

Anyway thank again for your time IG-88

On 7/29/2017 at 4:46 AM, IG-88 said:

+

Well I tried juns loader 1.0.2b and its a no go. I used the standard LZMA included and the system never shows up on network. I tried a few alternatives LZMA driver packs but it seems the drivers that are part of Polanskiman LZMA for juns 1.0.1 loader have not passed onto 1.0.2.

UPDATE: I tried hp server n36l-n54l.zip which has another LZMA that at least includes my realtek ethernet card, but as I expected pata_via was not included in this LZMA, so I'm in the same boat as 6.0.2.

If you have a suggestion for a LZMA that I can use with 1.0.2 that has the same driver set as of Polanskiman that would be great. There must be some reason the pata_via never loads in his driver pack.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP IG-88

Edited by madhits45

Update 2.. I may have found a solution

XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img.zip

Quicknicks older DSM 6.0.2 loader loads the drivers in the transitional manner similar to how 5.2.5967.1 worked. It possible however unlikely that my machine may work with this loader and load PATA_VIA. Now I know im stepping into a bees next here because this loader is deprecated but Im willing to give it a try to get both my DSM nas's on the same version.

UPDATE: Still no Pata_VIA.. so it seems 5.2 is the best I can get.. DANG...

Anyone have any ideas?

No preview available for this typ

On 30.7.2017 at 11:45 PM, madhits45 said:

Update 2.. I may have found a solution

XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img.zip

Quicknicks older DSM 6.0.2 loader loads the drivers in the transitional manner similar to how 5.2.5967.1 worked. It possible however unlikely that my machine may work with this loader and load PATA_VIA. Now I know im stepping into a bees next here because this loader is deprecated but Im willing to give it a try to get both my DSM nas's on the same version.

UPDATE: Still no Pata_VIA.. so it seems 5.2 is the best I can get.. DANG...

Anyone have any ideas?

No preview available for this typ

from what i read you will need the r8169 and the pata_via together, both where part of the first version of the extra.lzma i released only that the r8168 was loaded instead of the r8169 (rc.modules), i can repackage this and send you a link to it for testing, you will have to use the mentiond "first" dsm 6.1 version 15047 for installtion and you would be cut off from further 6.1 versions (or loose pata_via funnctionality) but at least you would have 6.1 with all the nice funktionalitys and from security point of view it would not be as bad as 5.x

10 hours ago, IG-88 said:

from what i read you will need the r8169 and the pata_via together, both where part of the first version of the extra.lzma i released only that the r8168 was loaded instead of the r8169 (rc.modules), i can repackage this and send you a link to it for testing, you will have to use the mentiond "first" dsm 6.1 version 15047 for installtion and you would be cut off from further 6.1 versions (or loose pata_via funnctionality) but at least you would have 6.1 with all the nice funktionalitys and from security point of view it would not be as bad as 5.x

IG-88 is r8169 realtek lan driver, correct? Apparently my board has Intel PC82573V that was not loading, surprised me I thought I had realtek but apparently it is intel, MSI released a number of mainboards all around the same time and the only difference between 3 of them was lan chip. I never had lan loading issues till trying the new DSM 6 loaded cuz everyone includes intel lan drivers typically. My board is a lil older but intel ICH7-9 usually are bundled together in a drivers set. My lan does load on quick nicks loader and juns 1.01, but not juns 1.0.2b

The VIA VT6410, PATA_VIA.KO chip. The odd thing is both quick nick and jun added the PATA_VIA.KO driver into there loader or extra.lzma but it does not load. It loads in 5.2 fine. Do you have any idea why? I thought it had something to do with the way 5.2 loaded drivers and I was excited to try quick nicks loader for this reason but his loader is very similar to juns and does not work. Ive tried putting the raid controller into different modes IDE/RAID and it does not pick it up in either, 5.2 does in either mode.

I want 6 for the security also and like I said before I am completely ok staying on whatever release I can get to load my 82573V Lan and VT6410 IDE/RAID driver.

THANKS IN ADVANCE..

Edited by madhits45

1 hour ago, madhits45 said:

IG-88 is r8169 realtek lan driver, correct? Apparently my board has Intel PC82573V that was not loading, surprised me I thought I had realtek but apparently it is intel, MSI released a number of mainboards all around the same time and the only difference between 3 of them was lan chip. I never had lan loading issues till trying the new DSM 6 loaded cuz everyone includes intel lan drivers typically. My board is a lil older but intel ICH7-9 usually are bundled together in a drivers set. My lan does load on quick nicks loader and juns 1.01, but not juns 1.0.2b

The VIA VT6410, PATA_VIA.KO chip. The odd thing is both quick nick and jun added the PATA_VIA.KO driver into there loader or extra.lzma but it does not load. It loads in 5.2 fine. Do you have any idea why? I thought it had something to do with the way 5.2 loaded drivers and I was excited to try quick nicks loader for this reason but his loader is very similar to juns and does not work. Ive tried putting the raid controller into different modes IDE/RAID and it does not pick it up in either, 5.2 does in either mode.

I want 6 for the security also and like I said before I am completely ok staying on whatever release I can get to load my 82573V Lan and VT6410 IDE/RAID driver.

THANKS IN ADVANCE..

i can only take the information you give and from  "n36l-n54l.zip which has another LZMA that at least includes my realtek ethernet card " i took that hte named bootimage dooes not contain the r8168 (checked by extracting) and as you wrote the realtek and it was working ...

what board exatly is it, whats written on the board an mayby have a look whats the lan chip on the board, on such older bords it will be a extra chip

only use information verifyed

the chip you metioned should work with the e1000 driver and thats part of jun's loader (it extremly common), we know that we have a driver for pata_via for 6.1_15047 so next is to find out why lan is not workind as expected

the "n36l-n54l.zip" you found lan working contains a e1000.ko 154184 bytes, 2017-25-02 18:20, that seems to be the same driver as in "6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha", the e1000.ko in jun 1.02b has the same sie but newer date, migt also identical - so at first look it does not look plausible that the e1000 driver is used, maybe its something different? so its important to stick to whats 100% proofed

• Polanskiman changed the title to How to build and inject missing drivers in jun loader 1.02a
  • Polanskiman unpinned this topic