thinksitdo

Change MAC address AFTER DSM 6 install?

16 hours ago, OldSmurf said:

@Polanskiman I believe it's 1.02b. I haven't gotten around to updating it yet. I have the very same GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta as in your screen dump. And I agree that the commands should work. But as you can see from my screen dump ... they don't :(

That version of the loader does not have a bug in this regard. Did you modify the grub file in any way or some of the files in the loader?

Posted (edited)

You can download the loader again and try again if you want to figure out the mystery. Let me know if you get the same error.

FYI the result of the command you type in the that command line is stored in a file called 'grubenv' which is located at the same level than the grub.cfg file. You can open that file in read only mode with a text editor to see what is in it. 

Edited by Polanskiman
added extra info.

Posted (edited)

@Polanskiman Thanks for your input.
My primary ESXi server is currently crashed so I am running on my (very weak) backup server. New parts will arrive next week so I will continue work on this once everything is up and running.
I’ll get back to you at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by OldSmurf

@Polanskiman I finally managed to get it to work :) I got my new Dell R510 up and running and used this opportunity to upgrade to ESXi 6.7. This enabled me to use this guide: https://advanxer.com/blog/2018/12/install-xpenology-dsm-6-2-1-on-esxi-6-7-ready-made-ova-file/ It worked very nicely and now I am able to edit SN and MAC address. So I made a couple of new Xpenologies and this time they remain on the same SN and MAC after a power cycle. And editing with the "c" during boot works as well.

Thanks for your help along and support during these somewhat challenging weeks :)

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:16 AM, Olegin said:

On 5/17/2019 at 10:16 AM, Olegin said:

Admin@your_DS:~$ sudo -i
Password:
root@your_DS:~# mkdir -p /tmp/synoboot_part0
root@your_DS:~# cd /dev
root@your_DS:/dev# mount -t vfat synoboot1 /tmp/synoboot_part0
root@your_DS:/dev# ls /tmp/synoboot_part0
bzImage  EFI  grub  info.txt
root@your_DS:/dev# cd /
root@your_DS:/# umount /tmp/synoboot_part0
root@your_DS:/# rm -r /tmp/synoboot_part0

@Olegin How do i edit the grub file since i have tried vi and it stated it wants to create a new file.

13 minutes ago, Olegin said:

@Vodka2014 Install mc package and use build in editor.

Thanks but i am going to need some guidance on this please :)

@Vodka2014 : if you are more friend with Windows than Linux (like many of us),

you may shut your NAS down, remove your USB stick and edit your grub file on a Windows computer

with the help of the trial version of Paragon's nice sotware.