XPEnology Community

DSM 6.0 network drops? SMB particularly bad

naasking

I've tried removing a memory module so I only have 2GB of physical memory, but it hasn't improved the situation. However, the BIOS reports 2GB but Synology's info center says the NAS has 4GB of physical memory. Perhaps it's displaying a cached value? Is there some way to refresh this information?

I also tried swapping the modules and the memory slots, still no dice. It's strange because the ethernet statistics (netstat -i) don't show any packet drops or errors, it just stops responding for a period of time, then starts up again.

Some online posts on Windows with this same issue have disabled "energy efficient ethernet" to fix it, but "ethtool --set-eee eth0 eee off" fails as not supported.

I wish I could simply install a new ethernet card, but the one slot I have available is taken by an SATA card I use for my storage. Looking into other embedded motherboards, they all seem to have RTL8111 chipsets of various editions (mostly H or G, I have RTL8111E), so just replacing the board might not actually fix this issue. I have no idea what to do now.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:53 PM, Decapix said:

how about loading driver from IG-88?

Machine boots fine, but network drops still occur. I have the same AuthenticAMD unknown vendor error:

[    0.000000] CPU: vendor_id 'AuthenticAMD' unknown, using generic init.
               CPU: Your system may be unstable.

So perhaps it's all related to the spotty AMD support in Jun's current loader. Strange that everything mostly works though, and it's rock solid otherwise.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:53 PM, Decapix said:

how about loading driver from IG-88?

Machine boots fine, but network drops still occur. I have the same AuthenticAMD unknown vendor error:

So perhaps it's all related to the spotty AMD support in Jun's current loader. Strange that everything mostly works though, and it's rock solid otherwise.

On 25/10/2017 at 5:35 PM, naasking said:

Its not just related to the spotty AMD support, i have a ASUS AT5NM10T-I (Atom 1.8) also with Realtek 8111E and facing the same problem

On 11/3/2017 at 6:37 AM, Hackerjac said:

Its not just related to the spotty AMD support, i have a ASUS AT5NM10T-I (Atom 1.8) also with Realtek 8111E and facing the same problem

That's a bummer. I was seriously considering replacing the board with something like this, but it too has a Realtek 8111 chipset. It's the H revision though, ie. RTL8111H. I'm gunshy on the 8111 chipset now, but since this problem seems to only have been reported in the E revisions in this thread, maybe it's a hardware bug in that edition alone.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, naasking said:

That's a bummer. I was seriously considering replacing the board with something like this, but it too has a Realtek 8111 chipset. It's the H revision though, ie. RTL8111H. I'm gunshy on the 8111 chipset now, but since this problem seems to only have been reported in the E revisions in this thread, maybe it's a hardware bug in that edition alone.

did u ever get it sorted

On 10/19/2017 at 12:09 PM, naasking said:

The problem seems well-known in every Linux distro. My board has the Realtek 8111E chipset, and along with the 8168, these load the driver for the Realtek 8169. Unfortunately, this driver is known to produce unreliable ethernet connections on these chipsets. Not sure what I can do to remedy this, as all the recommended solutions that I can find suggest building the drivers Realtek provides from source, and I'm not setup to do that with the Synology images.

Anyone have any ideas?

Would that NIC be able to boot with r8168.ko? If yes you could try disabling r8169.ko by removing it from the rc.modules file contained within the ramdisk. Before doing that you also need to remove the file from DSM too as it's already been copied in the OS ans it's used to load the NIC at every boot. You need to remove it from:

/usr/lib/modules/update

Once you have removed the file, shutdown your machine and edit the rc.modules file in the loader's ramdisk as stated above. Then plug your usb back in and boot. See if that works. If not then you simply re-enable r8169.ko in the rc.modules and that will copy the module again to the above directory once you boot again.

So here's my partial solution: I noticed that the drops seemed related to burst traffic, so I used the DSM control panel's traffic shaping tab to limit the bandwidth of the problematic network card to less than 95MB/s (you may have to play around with this number). That seems to have eliminated the drops, but I'll keep you posted.

13 minutes ago, naasking said:

So here's my partial solution: I noticed that the drops seemed related to burst traffic, so I used the DSM control panel's traffic shaping tab to limit the bandwidth of the problematic network card to less than 95MB/s (you may have to play around with this number). That seems to have eliminated the drops, but I'll keep you posted.

cool I will try this tonight and let u know

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, i now have the same issue.

On my Asus E35M1-M Pro i had an Intel NIC on PCIe, all working fine. I just removed it to put a SATA card, hence now using the onboard NIC. And the traffic drop now occurs. It blocks Windows Explorer and Kodi. I need to kill the smbd to get back the control, as the CPU becomes very high.

Did you find a way to resolve it? Did you find a more recent driver?

Help welcome before i have to put the Intel NIC back :(

• 1 month later...