XPEnology Community

Difference DS916+, DS3615xs and DS3617xs

Nebroth

Question

Hey!

I'd really like to hear the differences about these 3 DSM Versions.

The DS3615xs is bromolow architecture, DS3617xs is Broadwell and DS916+ is braswell. Alright. But what does it do?

I've got an Asrock J3455M Mainboard. which DSM Version whould be the best for my use?

Thanks in Advance,

Nebroth

So,

I am on a Q1900 with ds3615s. Currently working with a plex pass on the 1.8.1 version which supports HW transcoding, unfortunately, not in my combination of HW and SW. 

Is there anyone whom has tried the ds916 SW with a Q1900 and plex transcoding? 

Anybody have an idea if that could work or not?

В 20.8.2017 в 13:32, pwvandeursen сказал:

Is there anyone whom has tried the ds916 SW with a Q1900 and plex transcoding? 

Anybody have an idea if that could work or not?

my N3150 is working:

tr4.thumb.png.8d61f17d7218bc7513b9ce39360fe71a.png

HW transcoding with gst-launch-1.0

tr2.thumb.png.ef8dfcb728cde7bd3eb78579d99a112c.png

Edited by Bob the Builder
  • Like 1

Just found one important difference between ds3615xs and ds3617xs, the former is "bromolow" architecture, while the latter is "broadwell" architecture, which means that since SynoCommunity packages must be recompiled for architecture and many have not yet been recompiled for the broadwell architecture, many SynoCommunity packages are unavailable on DS3617xs. Now hopefully it is just a matter of time but meanwhile, this limits SynoCommunity package access on 3617xs.

49 minutes ago, aol said:

Just found one important difference between ds3615xs and ds3617xs, the former is "bromolow" architecture, while the latter is "broadwell" architecture, which means that since SynoCommunity packages must be recompiled for architecture and many have not yet been recompiled for the broadwell architecture, many SynoCommunity packages are unavailable on DS3617xs. Now hopefully it is just a matter of time but meanwhile, this limits SynoCommunity package access on 3617xs.

technicaly its not a difference between those three its more about the missing support of spk maintainers and wrong spk options, if they would do x64 packeges instead like synology does they would work on all x64 platform dsm's

it can be a help to decide as there seem to be more packages for 3615 (longer on the market)

i wrote about that in may here

• Like 2

On 13.9.2017 at 3:55 PM, maxime said:

Could you please show me how to test if encoding is working in hardware mode? Thanks!

gst-launch uses gstreamer HW, if it's software based it would be ffmpeg.

Just check the Ressource-monitor or use SSH and htop command.