XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] SMART info via pass-through with jun's loader

OzTechGeek

I am migrating over to DSM 6.1 with jun's loader and ESXi 6.5 and passing through a 9211-8i, but I noticed SMART info is not passing through. When I select "Storage Manager - Health Info" I get a "Not Available" message. Nothing shows in "Storage Manager - Logs" either.

Strange thing is both "smartctl --info /dev/sdb" and "synodisk --info /dev/sdb" both connect and return the correct information for the 1 disk I'm testing. I did notice in "/var/log/messages" the following error every time I select "Storage Manager - Health Info":

DS3615xs synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Smart_1_get_health_info[19566]: disk/disk_current_health_get.c:46 SYNODiskXmlErrCtGet failed on /dev/sdb

Wondering if I'm missing a setting or config change that will allow a LSI 9211-8i and pass-through to work correctly with DSM 6.1?

Thoughts?

So I solved my own problem :grin: FYI for anyone having the same issue:

Make sure the "synoboot.vmdk" is set to a "Virtual Device Node: SATA controller 0 / SATA (0:0)"

Once I did this the "Health Info" tab worked and now I also can see the "S.M.A.R.T Info" tab.

Teaches me for building my VMX from scratch :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

OzTechGeek could you please elaborate? I think I'm having the same issue, but I'm using KVM hypervisor. Health Info shows not available but I'm able to get temperature info. With 5.2 there was no issue. I'm thinking if it's caused by the additional virtual disk (loaded .img), so I'm trying to find a way to convert img to iso. I tried using SATA driver and IDE for the virtual disk but they don't make any difference. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 3:31 PM, OzTechGeek said:

So I solved my own problem :grin: FYI for anyone having the same issue:

Make sure the "synoboot.vmdk" is set to a "Virtual Device Node: SATA controller 0 / SATA (0:0)"

Once I did this the "Health Info" tab worked and now I also can see the "S.M.A.R.T Info" tab.

Teaches me for building my VMX from scratch :smile:

Glad you got it working! How did you change the Virtual Device Node from SCSI to SATA? Mine has SCSI in (0:0) and it won't work!