XPEnology Community

Beginner question about server

Jamzor

It's still a SATA M.2 SSD, not PCIe (NVME) SSD. Luckily the MSI B250I supports both :smile: Do tell the results you get with it! I'm planning on grabbing a 256GB Samsung P950, which has a theoretical write speed of 1500MB/s, and 3200MB/s read speed. A bit faster than what you got, but IMO it's the only one worth it (around 150$, and in speed it's 3x better, plus utilizes less resources AFAIK).

Damn mate not sure why you nered such a brutal NVME PCIe disk though? just for cache?

I read in another forum today that some guy lost data because his cachedisk broke down..

If you want to save some headaches, go with the B250I PRO (just ignore the 1xx series chipset motherboards altogether as they need a BIOS update to function with newer, 7th gen CPUs like the G4560).

I know you said this.. Is it true for H170N as well..? cus I like it more then 270n because it also 6sata and also 2 sata express... so I could add extra SSD through the sata express later if needed like cache disks or whatever.. Instead of having to use extra pci cards for adding more sata..

Any 1xx chipset (110, 150, 170, regardless of class) will require a BIOS update to work with 7th gen CPUs like the G4560. If you live in a larger town, you should have someone doing it as a service for a few dollars. But I'd rather not risk that, and just go for a 2xx motherboard.

What's wrong with the chassis you bought? Do you think it won't have enough space? Even if that happens, you can probably sell the whole shebang sans HDDs and move all your stuff to a new build.

You don't necessarily need 6x SATA, you can always grab an extension card for around 50$ or even less (I'm buying an HP Smart Array P410 for 30$, with SAS-SATA cables included!).

I doubt that cache failure will result in data loss, but my "data" is mostly TV show episodes downloading. Worst case scenario, I have to rebuild my server (software-wise), which takes about 30 minutes, and re-download all my shite.

Any 1xx chipset (110, 150, 170, regardless of class) will require a BIOS update to work with 7th gen CPUs like the G4560. If you live in a larger town, you should have someone doing it as a service for a few dollars. But I'd rather not risk that, and just go for a 2xx motherboard.

What's wrong with the chassis you bought? Do you think it won't have enough space? Even if that happens, you can probably sell the whole shebang sans HDDs and move all your stuff to a new build.

You don't necessarily need 6x SATA, you can always grab an extension card for around 50$ or even less (I'm buying an HP Smart Array P410 for 30$, with SAS-SATA cables included!).

I doubt that cache failure will result in data loss, but my "data" is mostly TV show episodes downloading. Worst case scenario, I have to rebuild my server (software-wise), which takes about 30 minutes, and re-download all my shite.

Re-download all can be quite a mess :eek: .. Or you mean just whats in the cache ?

Yeah my chassi I bought I feel kind off stupid because maximum 4 drives...Why did I not consider it more before.. You warned me I know :smile:

Im now looking at either silverstone DS380 or lian li Q35 . I want a sata backplane of some sort because I really dont want to re-do everything as soon as I wanna pop in a new drive..

I know you can extend the sata ports with a card but I think it can be easier just to have all the ports directly.. If I want one large volume in RAID5 for example..? Because I think splitting the sata ports between pci-card and motherboard is not the same as all ports from same motherboard right,.. ?

Damn this is all so frustrating.. I just want to build something nice now and then every now and then buy a new drive and pop it in... So few options for that.. In a small case like these I dont want to be playing around with sata cables etc etc as soon as I wanna add another drive.. Why is there not more cases with sata backplanes

Re-download all can be quite a mess :eek: .. Or you mean just whats in the cache ?

I don't download for storage, I download to watch&dump (okay, I store it if I want to re-watch it, but that's all). I don't have all that important information stored only on my NAS, I have cloud backups everywhere.

Yeah my chassi I bought I feel kind off stupid because maximum 4 drives...Why did I not consider it more before.. You warned me I know :smile:

Im now looking at either silverstone DS380 or lian li Q35 . I want a sata backplane of some sort because I really dont want to re-do everything as soon as I wanna pop in a new drive..

Well if you only need 3x8TB storage, it's perfectly fine. I suppose you don't want petabyte storage for home :smile: That Lian Li chassis seems small though. It only hosts 5x3.5" disks, while the DS380 can do 8x3.5". You should also consider the CS280 - 8x2.5" but considerably smaller. Plus cooler, since 2.5" disks don't heat up as much as 3.5" ones do, plus eat less power.

I know you can extend the sata ports with a card but I think it can be easier just to have all the ports directly.. If I want one large volume in RAID5 for example..? Because I think splitting the sata ports between pci-card and motherboard is not the same as all ports from same motherboard right,.. ?

The soft RAID Synology is using for RAID arrays is completely unaware of the controller the ports reside on. It does not need to know. All it needs is the GPT disk and partition ID, and done. So you can run a whole array off of both the onboard controller and an expansion card. You won't see considerable performance loss (probably less than 1%, depends on the expansion card).

Damn this is all so frustrating.. I just want to build something nice now and then every now and then buy a new drive and pop it in... So few options for that.. In a small case like these I dont want to be playing around with sata cables etc etc as soon as I wanna add another drive.. Why is there not more cases with sata backplanes

Because they're a niche product. Not many want swappable drives, not to mention that SATA backplanes are considerably harder to replace compared to cables. Also, they need to be specifically manufactured for the chassis. I prefer them too, but the selection is so limited that I went with the Bitfenix. Sure, nightmare to cable, but still better than cashing out 150-200$ for a chassis that I need to replace in a few months due to some unforeseen issue.

Thanks again m8 for everything...

I have now built my server. Its finished! I stick with the 4bay chassi I had.. Once Its full I might just upgrade the chassi at that point, for now I will stick with this..

I have to return the M.2 SSD though as I cant use it. It will take one of my Sata ports so.. Also I have read some different places that using a cache of any kind in synology is not that easy.. If it causes problems which it can do, it simply might crash etc.. Ive heard it from a few different places now and also googled a little.. I would really like to use some sort of SSD cache but for now it seems like there is too much potencial for problem..

Or maybe Im just worried..?

A beginner question. What benefit if using SSD cache in real world? Thanks.

Hey,

Im also sort of a beginner so I cant really help you there.. But I did scroll through this from synology.. Just look it through like a few minutes.. Might not be so fun to read through all if ur a beginner though..

http://ukdl.synology.com/download/Docum ... _Paper.pdf

It sounds really good though so wish did could work perfect... Maybe it will in the future

• 2 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, Jamzor said:

Seems I have to go for 270 series instead which is like 150€ ... damn motherboards are expensive...

Hello Jamzor,

Just wanted to confirm with you that motherboard worked without any issues. I am buying the same board but I could find the LAN in the compatibility list here http://xpenology.me/compatible/