XPEnology Community

Knee jerk reaction to Syno quickconnect kill

Salah

I will let you in on it. Yes they did.

An update is actively looking at X15 serials.Both hardware and Docker.(I assume docker is due to $ with Lic)

VDSM wasn't affected.

It basically nuts your serial, has nothing to do with change, just points you out as XPenolpgy user

And looking at logs, you Mods need to be aware that protecting ecosystem/security should be Primary to protecting status as mod.

It seems to me that you are not understanding the rather primary concept of netiquette. You are not to attack or blame anyone, trolling is also not tolerated. This is the last time I am saying it you. Failure to comply will lead you to be banned.

And looking at logs, you Mods need to be aware that protecting ecosystem/security should be Primary to protecting status as mod.

It seems to me that you are not understanding the rather primary concept of netiquette. You are not to attack or blame anyone, trolling is also not tolerated. This is the last time I am saying it you. Failure to comply will lead you to be banned.

Im guessing he is Synology's employe and is here only to troll this forum.

I will let you in on it. Yes they did.

An update is actively looking at X15 serials.Both hardware and Docker.(I assume docker is due to $ with Lic)

VDSM wasn't affected.

It basically nuts your serial, has nothing to do with change, just points you out as XPenolpgy user

Interesting. Faked serial and MAC, yet Docker works just fine (would be funny if it didn't, since, apart from file sharing and proxying, I'm using it for ALL my services, including Plex, Sonarr, Deluge, whatnot).

Please stop spreading bullshit based on your anecdotal evidence.

Docker, btw, is still open source, and free to use for home solutions, and I doubt many use it in enterprise environments.

By the looks of things it seems I'm one of the few (maybe the only one?) that hasn't found Salah troll like at all. Uncouth perhaps, and hasn't figured out how to use edit rather than reply, but not a troll.

This post suggests a method around the QuickConnect kick yes? Surely that's helpful? I use VPN myself so don't know if such a thing has actually happened.

And even if said person is a Synology employee, wouldn't we want that kind of inside information on the board? To give us a heads up on the direction they're taking?

By the looks of things it seems I'm one of the few (maybe the only one?) that hasn't found Salah troll like at all. Uncouth perhaps, and hasn't figured out how to use edit rather than reply, but not a troll.

This post suggests a method around the QuickConnect kick yes? Surely that's helpful? I use VPN myself so don't know if such a thing has actually happened.

And even if said person is a Synology employee, wouldn't we want that kind of inside information on the board? To give us a heads up on the direction they're taking?

There is no work around that hasn't been discussed over and over and over again in multiple topics. Custom DDNS for that matter, which is the obvious choice/replacement. A quick search of the forum will yield answers to that issue. VPN can be used but is not a replacement of QC. Also QC has not been killed by Synology. That seems to have come out of thin air without any supporting evidence (insider evidence, not screen shots). Serial format has however changed and that is not a new information. QC works perfectly fine with newer format serial numbers but it certainly is something people using Xpenology should not be doing unless their wish is to bring attention to this project by Synology and finally kill it for good.

In my opinion if said peson was from Synology I highly doubt he would be giving any inside information and certainly not in that fashion. Additionally if such person was from Synology I think he should be able to know how a forum works specially when Synology's forum is also phpbb based with basically the exact same functions than this forum. Just saying.

All this said, it's time the convo returns back on track.

QuickConnect should be treated as OEM licensed part of DSM. Why? QuickConnect is strictly connected with hardware by pair of MAC and serial number. Generating mac and serial to use it with QC is like using windows or any other software with OEM license. IMO even if you buy nas from synology you can use QC with this nas and only with this nas. You dont pay for hardware, or DSM, or QC. You pay for all this but cant be used separately.

so should Docker,VDSM , Mail , Office, chat,...etc

No, that's simply stupid...

Okay, maybe with VDSM you're right. But Docker for one is free software, so is the software combo that makes up Mail, et cetera.

But there's a key difference - QuickConnect is 90% service provided by Synology, running on something that is not your server. The rest, is is just packages of usually free software within a Synology wrapper, which requires little to no maintenance. Yes, even VDSM, since it's just KVM with a nice web interface...