XPEnology Community

Xpenology Project Status

UNSC-117

Question

This project seems dead.

wanted to let you guys know that freenas coral has been released. I'm in the process of moving all my data to install coral. thanks guys for the run

Not sure what lead you to create such topic and make such comment. The community is actually active and live. There are currently 2 loaders available. One for 6.0.2 and one for 6.1 currently in testing. What is dead about that?

In the future please search the forum prior posting.

well it does look like you have hung hopes on 2 devs. jun and trantor for drivers.

It has always been like this. During the 4.x times, even during 5.x, we only had 2-3 devs, and ~200-300 users depending on their work.

Maybe that's because there is almost no documentation about how to make a bootloader.

If there are some good docs on how to build an image, maybe more volunteers will show up.

well it does look like you have hung hopes on 2 devs. jun and trantor for drivers.

It has always been like this. During the 4.x times, even during 5.x, we only had 2-3 devs, and ~200-300 users depending on their work.

Maybe that's because there is almost no documentation about how to make a bootloader.

If there are some good docs on how to build an image, maybe more volunteers will show up.

Uhm... That's not true.

The current loaders are nothing more than Syno's own boot solution (which you can easily reverse engineer if you buy a syno product and take a look around its inside working), paired with Grub (which has plenty of documentation), and a custom solution to get around their protection (which again, if was documented, Syno would patch in no time).

No offense, but being spoon-fed all the information is not the way to become a developer.

About "own bootloader"

If you check in Jun's open post there is link to script to build bootloader, i'm in stage to understand how it works, but i'm not skilled programmer, and, i'm not a skilled kernel programmer.

I have some problems, but if Jun don't want to share the whole process, we can only reverse his job.

About "own bootloader"

If you check in Jun's open post there is link to script to build bootloader, i'm in stage to understand how it works, but i'm not skilled programmer, and, i'm not a skilled kernel programmer.

I have some problems, but if Jun don't want to share the whole process, we can only reverse his job.

The scripts miss the interesting bits :wink: Well, there ARE references to them, but the interesting bits and pieces (patcher, etc.) are all excluded.

Imo, if they want community help, they should release the scripts.

Not defending or blaming anyone.

If the devs wanted the source code published they would already have done it. I'm sure they are smart enough to think about that. As mush as I understand the people's wish to see the source code, exposing the source publicly would only serve the community negatively. This project does step on some boundaries and I don't think that it is a good idea to show what is done under the hood.

The help that the devs needs in my opinion is the compilation of drivers for a broader compatibility.

If the devs wanted the source code published they would already have done it. I'm sure they are smart enough to think about that. As mush as I understand the people's wish to see the source code, exposing the source publicly would only serve the community negatively. This project does step on some boundaries and I don't think that it is a good idea to show what is done under the hood.

The help that the devs needs in my opinion is the compilation of drivers for a broader compatibility.

Right, and it's' my "summer project" :grin: but i need to understand because i would like to build my own bootloader with my set of drivers.

It was not my intention to blame Jun, i say thanks to him for his works and thanks for scripts

About "own bootloader"

The scripts miss the interesting bits :wink: Well, there ARE references to them, but the interesting bits and pieces (patcher, etc.) are all excluded.

Look better, it miss also another piece :wink:

Did you check scripts set? i have some questions about, due to my lack i don't understand how it works the part where i can run menuconfig

Right, and it's' my "summer project" :grin: but i need to understand because i would like to build my own bootloader with my set of drivers.

It was not my intention to blame Jun, i say thanks to him for his works and thanks for scripts

Everything you need to make your own bootloader with your drivers is already available. Jun published the scripts. Drivers can be downloaded from the respective publishers and can be compiled against DSM 6.1 source code which is also publicly available, so in fact everything you need is already there although I have to admit I have not tried running those scripts myself yet.

About "own bootloader"

Look better, it miss also another piece :wink:

Did you check scripts set? i have some questions about, due to my lack i don't understand how it works the part where i can run menuconfig

It misses a binary file, and some manual edits, both of which results are directly in the loader images themselves. Trust me, I spent the past week looking at how this thing works :wink:

It misses a binary file, and some manual edits, both of which results are directly in the loader images themselves. Trust me, I spent the past week looking at how this thing works :wink:

It' was my mistake or the script try to compile modprobe?

It' was my mistake or the script try to compile modprobe?

That's one of the missing bits.

That's one of the missing bits.

i tried to add modprobe source into tool folder, but i get an error about some bad compilation flag and yes, i'v done ./config --prefix /usr/sbin to generate correct Makefile

But i think we can jump compilation of modprobe and simply copy one extracted from running synology or jump the whole "modprobe" step

I'v read why Jun want compile mdprobe, but if we can use one from image file, compilation of it is useless.

All the "missing" bits are already in loaders, so anyone can "find" them and reconfigure scripts to build boot image. :smile: In the next few days I will build one for DS916+ with minimal drivers for my board (MSI N3150I ECO), and with enabled Intel P-State driver.

• Like 1

All the "missing" bits are already in loaders, so anyone can "find" them and reconfigure scripts to build boot image. :smile: In the next few days I will build one for DS916+ with minimal drivers for my board (MSI N3150I ECO), and with enabled Intel P-State driver.

Can You write a sort of howto? i think will be usefull :grin:

Uhm... That's not true.

The current loaders are nothing more than Syno's own boot solution (which you can easily reverse engineer if you buy a syno product and take a look around its inside working), paired with Grub (which has plenty of documentation), and a custom solution to get around their protection (which again, if was documented, Syno would patch in no time).

No offense, but being spoon-fed all the information is not the way to become a developer.

I'd argue otherwise. My job is almost entirely PowerShell based and the only reason I'm any good at it is because of StackOverFlow, Technet and tearing other people's scripts to pieces.

We all have to start somewhere; as a Hyper-V user I, and the many Hyper-V users on site, feel overlooked in our quest to get on DSM 6+. Having some documentation and how to guides to at least get acquainted would make heller difference.

Also, I can't imagine a world where Syno aren't already aware of how their protection isn't broken. If notepad ++ can check changes between documents, you can be sure as s*** Syno have already tore Jun's loader to shreds and found every change down to the last byte. More importantly you'd want them to, so they can build a better and more protected system. Which again means more developers working against the product would make it easier to unlock the next release.

Can You write a sort of howto? i think will be usefull :grin:

Agreed. There was a guy on here, can't remember his name for the life of me, that spent a lot of time building his own website with tutorials and videos on how to get DSM 5 onto just about any machine you wanted.

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/

Although it's probably going a little far asking for videos, fluent guides with easy to understand steps pave the way for more people to get involved.

Agreed. There was a guy on here, can't remember his name for the life of me, that spent a lot of time building his own website with tutorials and videos on how to get DSM 5 onto just about any machine you wanted.

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/

Although it's probably going a little far asking for videos, fluent guides with easy to understand steps pave the way for more people to get involved.

I wrote some howtos but before to write i must prove that they work.

When i'll be able to understand and to play with Jun's script i will write it