XPEnology Community

Say bye to Quickconnect

Salah

Of course they can hack back but using Quickconnect with a fake Synology is especially bloody stupid..

Most people use their NAS with the loaders and it happily sits and works without ever contacting the Internet (and definitely not Synology and using their services)..

When you use Quickconnect, you are effectively TELLING SYNOLOGY that there are boxes out there with dodgy serial numbers and mac addresses.

They'll run a little Quickconnect report that will tell them exactly which boxes are legit or not..

With such a report, they are going to want to do something about it.

This is only the start of their fightback.. If you're daft enough to try to use Quickconnect, you could very well kill off this project - maybe even this website.. :mad:

Nice work... :evil:

Of course they can hack back but using Quickconnect with a fake Synology is especially bloody stupid..

Most people use their NAS with the loaders and it happily sits and works without ever contacting the Internet (and definitely not Synology and using their services)..

When you use Quickconnect, you are effectively TELLING SYNOLOGY that there are boxes out there with dodgy serial numbers and mac addresses.

They'll run a little Quickconnect report that will tell them exactly which boxes are legit or not..

With such a report, they are going to want to do something about it.

This is only the start of their fightback.. If you're daft enough to try to use Quickconnect, you could very well kill off this project - maybe even this website.. :mad:

Nice work... :evil:

They obivously know about this project as it has been running for years. Since they haven't done anything to prevent "fake" serials to use their services, I guess that the percentage of such users is so low that they simply don't care.

So, what would happen to me as a XPEnology user if I would go and buy a Synology product purely for the MAC and SN so I would have the option to use QC? Would it downgrade my current machine status from 'DS3615xs' to whatever the bought SN would belong to or...? Downgrade as in terms of number of HDD places, etc.

While I'm here, under what I could find a MAC address change manual or tutorial here? MAC address chance as changing it permanently.

Thank you!

Just to add to the general paranoia :

While I was testing a DNS server on my network (and looking at the logs), I found that my box - which has quickconnect off - contacted account.synology.com and another url (I forget) which retrieved my external IP.

So they probably have a better idea of how many people are running XPEnology than anyone here

While I was testing a DNS server on my network (and looking at the logs), I found that my box - which has quickconnect off - contacted account.synology.com and another url (I forget) which retrieved my external IP.

So they probably have a better idea of how many people are running XPEnology than anyone here

Good call, blocked that domain in firewall

Can you check on the other domain to block as well?